login

Author Topic: Where are the blockbuster movie riffs????  (Read 63047 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5296
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Where are the blockbuster movie riffs????
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 07:45:39 AM »
It's been so long since Twister came out that at first I thought you mofos were saying there'd been a movie released about the GAME Twister.

And I'd have watched that crap!
As long as a cow is airborn at some point, yeah, so would I.

Danecho1967

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 09:37:05 AM »
I would riff The Passion of the Christ in a heartbeat, but yeah, I doubt there will ever be an official Rifftrax for it.
Well, given that all of the dialog is in Latin, Aramaic, or Hebrew, and most of the film centers around the slow torture and killing of a man...  Well, good luck writing humorous quips for that.  It's not just about whether or not you believe who the protagonist says he is, there has to be actual material in the film that support humorous commentary.

It's easy, I'm sure, to bash a religion for two hours, but that doesn't mean it would actually be funny.

Still, I'd give you props for trying.  Maybe you could take on Schindler's List next.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 245
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 11:29:54 AM »
Sophie's Choice also has some hilarious potentiality.

"Choose, damn it. Choose already!"

Offline bwally

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 11:28:18 AM »
Ya, I don't really care if it's a new or old blockbuster but at least let us know what is in the pipeline!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5296
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 11:43:57 AM »
Ya, I don't really care if it's a new or old blockbuster but at least let us know what is in the pipeline!
Yeah, especially since they aren't doing the 20Q games anymore.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2337
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 02:25:42 PM »

http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=25072.msg736448#msg736448
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2313
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 07:02:36 PM »

So, did anyone else use Kevin's voice to play that in their head?

Now if the quote had been "would you choose already" it would have been Mike's voice. ;D

Danecho1967

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 07:44:37 PM »
And Bill would be, "Choose!  Just choose, you stupid... bint!"

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 245
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2012, 11:07:29 PM »

So, did anyone else use Kevin's voice to play that in their head?

Now if the quote had been "would you choose already" it would have been Mike's voice. ;D

That's funny but I was hearing Mike when I wrote it. But I do see your point and my mind stands corrected, sir!

Offline kent18

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 10:11:32 PM »
Don't get me wrong I have been liking most of the VOD's, but I for one would love to see some more major movie riffs.
Here are a few suggestions of recent movies that have come out that are crying out to be riffed.
Green Lantern
Battleship
Cowboys and Aliens
John Carter

Not to mention a bunch that should have been riffed, like Jumper and Takers with Hayden Christensen.

While I'm at it, how about some more guest riffers????  (like Barry Weiss  from Storage Wars)

Moved and seconded on both Cowboys and Aliens and (in particular) the unspeakably awful Green Lantern; and would personally add Rock of Ages, once THAT travesty inevitably makes its way onto DVD.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 10:35:18 AM »
Season of the Witch

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline bigdug13

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 12:00:49 AM »
I'm sure it's a money issue.  The torrent sites are rife with the blockbuster rifftrax versions of movies, but for the oldie VOD releases, it's more rare.  So I'm sure they're simply seeing more sales.

And honestly, it comes down to convenience and our "give it to me now" culture.  We're willing to pay $10 for "ready to go" riff movies, but asking us to try to sync up audio tracks to movies we already own is something many people don't want to bother with, hence the popularity of those blockbuster movies on torrents, and many of those people forget to donate to the cause when they get the trax through seedy sources.

I hope they go back to a decent mix though.  I'm still waiting on the completion of the Harry Potter movies, and there's plenty of other movies ripe for the ribbing.

Danecho1967

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 08:13:05 AM »
And honestly, it comes down to convenience and our "give it to me now" culture.  We're willing to pay $10 for "ready to go" riff movies, but asking us to try to sync up audio tracks to movies we already own is something many people don't want to bother with, hence the popularity of those blockbuster movies on torrents, and many of those people forget to donate to the cause when they get the trax through seedy sources.
With so many people upgrading their movie collections to Blu-Ray, you can find used DVD's super cheap.  I reauthored Fast & Furious this weekend and it cost me a total of 8 dollars.

On the other hand, I only have bought one VOD release so far, Crater Lake Monster.  The reason for this is because I'm so cheap, I would rather spend $3.99 on a rifftrax for a movie that I can get from Netflix (which I am already paying for) and sync  - or buy for a couple of bucks online or at my local CD exchange and reauthor - for a full-length movie that has people I know (and love to see made fun of) in it.

Damn that is one ugly run-on sentence.  Oh, well...

The point is:  I don't have a problem with VOD's and am thankful for the folks who buy them, because they are keeping Rifftrax alive as a business.  But I'd love to see them mix in more DVD's.  I'd especially like to see more classic crap movies, like some of the ones we've been talking about on the suggest-a-trax board.  I know that these don't make as much money as VOD's, but if they make enough on VOD's, why not throw a bone to those of us who want to see Steven Seagal get what's coming to him.

One or two of that type of Riff a year won't bankrupt the business, I think, especially if the VOD's are selling as well as we've been told.  I mean, I'm sure the guys would love to spend a few days making fun of Jean Claude Van Damme.  I know I would, if I had their Riffing skills.

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 07:25:39 PM »
I just had a thought: You think the amount of VODs they're releasing is because they had to buy the rights for Birdemic in order to use it at a live show and need to make it back? Or perhaps they're using these to pay for the rights for Birdemic?
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 969
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 09:29:03 PM »
I kind of doubt it. I think you're vastly overestimating how much it costs to get the rights to a film. And Severin would likely just ask for a cut of the gate instead of cash upfront.