login

Author Topic: The Dumb Boss/Employers Thread  (Read 16408 times)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
Re: The Dumb Boss/Employers Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 08:08:26 AM »
There's something I've been thinking about lately, and I have plenty of time until it becomes an issue but it's something that's been on my mind.

Every year my department has a small pot-luck get-together for the holidays. When we were up on the 38th floor we always had it in the department itself, and it was nice because we could set it up and eat and then kind of nibble on it through the day. It was like one long party all day long. But then they moved us to a new space and made a rule that we're not allowed to eat in the department. So last year the holiday party was held in a conference room down the hall, where we couldn't set up until noon and had to be out by 2:00.

By default (because everyone who had previously planned the party has been fired), I wound up being the party planner. I hate party planning. I suck at it and I get worked up and it's just something really stressful that I do not enjoy at all. I spent the whole day organizing the damn thing, making sure everyone who brought stuff in had room for it in the refrigerator and then making sure we had all the necessary utensils/plates/napkins/etc. I ran between my desk and the conference room, and then while it was going on I had to sit there and baby sit the food while other people came in and out and then I had to clean it all up. And I really really hated it.

So now I know I'm going to get stuck with it again this year, and I'm wondering how bad it would be if I just told my boss I didn't want to do it. I think it would be great if we just totally skipped it and went out for drinks together after work, but of course going out for drinks together after work is why half the department was fired in the first place. So I'm just really not sure what to do. I'd really like to schedule vacation time and just be out around Christmas, but a lot of my time is gone because of the house, etc.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 693
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 10:10:24 AM »
Here's a favorite story from the job I just lost.

It was a pack and mail store, so we bought boxes wholesale and sold them retail. Once my boss got an email from someone claiming to be in Colorado (we're in Virginia), who wanted something like 1500 boxes. It would have come to roughly $20,000 with shipping. He was all ready to rent a cargo container, buy the boxes, and ship them by freight. He even talked to the guy on the phone.

Within the same week, he got another email from someone claiming to be a priest in Singapore who wanted 25,000 copies of a picture of a heart. He asked me to calculate how long it would take to make that many copies. He was thinking a few hours. Turned out it was more like a few days. That's assuming the copier ran 24 hours a day non-stop, and we never needed it for anything else. It would have broken down long before then.

He was really excited about both of these projects, but I knew there was something fishy going on, so I did a little research. Turned out they were both the same variety of a common scam. Red flags include people wanting absurd quantities of something, being really far away, and the thing they want being something they could easily obtain locally. So I tried to explain this to him, but all he could see were dollar signs. He was like, here take my phone and talk to him yourself (the guy in Colorado), you'll see he's legit. Then came the one and only time I lost my cool with him. I told him, in no uncertain terms "George, you cannot possibly be this stupid"... He did not take that well.

I finally had to go to his wife, explain it to her, and she in turn convinced him not to go through with either one.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 10:29:55 AM »
Wow. Just the Colorado story alone sounded fishy to me, right off the bat. I don't know why anyone several states away would order that many boxes if they could just buy them locally. It's not like Virginia is the only place you can buy cardboard boxes.

And then you said Singapore and I was like, Oh. Okay.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6792
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 11:19:54 AM »
Measuring the boss from hell
Almost everyone has experienced a boss from hell at one point or another in their careers, but how many of us could quantify just how unpleasant the experience is? Thanks to some hard-working psychologists, that's now possible—at least for some forms of unpleasantry. A team has spent four years immersed in the study of workplace arrogance, and emerged with what they term the "Workplace Arrogance Scale," or WARS. In a recent review, they've looked back on what they've learned about arrogance, and the results are pretty ugly.
The authors found that arrogance not only created a poisonous atmosphere at the workplace, but it actively hindered the ability to get projects done: "These results highlight an interesting paradox: Employees who act superior in actuality have inferior performance." The authors suggest this creates a vicious cycle, where failures fuel a greater sense of personal inadequacy, and thus more arrogant behavior. The failures themselves are ascribed to an arrogant person's inability to seriously consider advice from other members of the team: "A weak learning orientation also causes people to identify others to blame when setbacks or failures are experienced, instead of revising performance strategies or uncovering why problems occurred."

Typically, these sorts of vicious cycles can be hard to break, but that may not be the case with arrogance. "Fortunately arrogance is a cluster of changeable behaviors, driven by relatively malleable beliefs," the authors note. But doing so would necessarily involve identifying the problem and intervening, and the earlier the better. Of course, judging by the AIG example given earlier, there are probably some workplace environments where arrogance may not be considered a negative personality trait.
http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/07/measuring-the-boss-from-hell/
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline bta

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 739
  • Sort this; deliver that; I'll make 'em all pay.
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 07:46:59 PM »
Yeah, in the post office arrogance is a positive personality trait...gets you promoted.
\()/ 3~ \()/

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 09:52:16 PM »
Just to show a tiny microcosm of how the Telugu film business works:

Our next new movie is titled July. When does it open? August 8.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 09:22:28 AM »
But but, curry in the staff canteen!

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3730
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 08:40:07 PM »
Found out tonight that my work hours will be changing yet again..
Starting Monday, I will be working 6pm till 2:30am (or after) to see how well my training is coming along for my eventual move to the weekend shift where I will basically be working by myself (which is cool with me)..

The team lead decided he wanted me to stay over tonight and the rest of the week for 'further training' (and so he could do less work) and I told him that I will start that tomorrow if need be but not tonight (cause I've been fighting a stomach bug since Monday and still working my full shift)..

I'm mixed on this because yes I will be away from a lot of the BS that goes on during the day and evenings but will be working half of 2nd shift and half of 3rd shift now with no change in pay   ???

Guess we'll see how it goes. :-\

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 06:10:31 AM »
For once, my boss did something right. He's out on vacation all this week.  8)
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 06:23:23 AM »
Don't even get me started on that time I worked at Gizomonic Institute.  My boss was just nuts.  I got along pretty well with the janitor, but he just disappeared one day and I haven't seen him since.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 06:47:55 AM »
Did I hear you mention once that your boss wanted to take out all of your internal organs and replace them with a radiator?
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 09:29:40 AM »
Had to work till 4am this morning cause of management dropping the ball on having some preventative maintenance done on our drill bit coating machines which put everything behind schedule and I have to come in regular 2nd shift hours today cause 3rd shift doesn't work tonight and there must be at least 2 people on hand in the event of an accident..

I'm sure I was supposed to fill in a couple log sheets before leaving but I was already tired as hell and I'll fill those in when I go back to work in a bit while hearing about it from the ornery old guys on first shift.. ::)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 06:18:44 AM »
Oh what fun that sounds like.   You would think they would know what to do when things happen..........but apparently not.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 06:48:40 AM »
Oh what fun that sounds like.   You would think they would know what to do when things happen..........but apparently not.
Oh, and I was told last night that I will be starting full 3rd shift hours on Sunday night (10pm - 6:30am) ...
Never worked 3rd shift before but I guess it's to see what I know and what I can do on my own in preperation for moving to a new weekend shift but still not sure I'm gonna like working 3rd shift hours  :-\

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 09:12:32 AM »
At least when you get off work you can enjoy the morning (cooler) parts of the sun and beer.