login

Author Topic: The Dumb Boss/Employers Thread  (Read 18789 times)

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
Re: The Dumb Boss/Employers Thread
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »
I won't go into the whole story, but its been almost 3 years since I was fired unfairly from the library.  They used some lame excuse then hired three part timers at minimum wage (I also had insurance, so they didin't have to pay that anymore)

They gave the debt program I ran to another worker.  The debt programs generates a lot of income for the library.  You wouldn't believe how much some people owe.  Some are in the thousands, the most one person owed when I was there was over $2000.  I was good at the debt program.   Anyway, the worker couldn't handle it on her own, I did it by myself for seven years.  My old boss who fired me finally got two of the part-timers to help her.  They still couldn't handle it.  I know this because my best friend still works there.  I was in the library today and my old boss if asked if I could come with her to the meeting room.  I went, I had a pretty good idea what she wanted to ask.

She wanted to know if I could come in in my free time and help them figure it out.

Now, since my best friend still works there, I knew that they were talking about it, but I still couldn't believe she had the balls, she has totally fucked up the library since she's been running it.  I had no training in the debt program, I figured it out myself.  It's fairly easy.  When I left everything was in great shape, unlike the shambles I inherited.

Anyway, I told her I could come in on Wednesdays, when did she want to discuss the payment for my services?  I asked knowing that she wants me to volunteer.   The ex-boss told me there was no money in the budget to pay me.  I told her that if she hadn't fired me she would have the money plus more that I would have generated from the set-off debt program and walked out.

Makes me feel pretty good.  My friend had also said that they were going to talk about asking me if I could post books on Ebay for free for them, evidently I'm the only person they know who uses Ebay.  All the volunteers are a bunch of nosy old  biddies that don't know crap about computers.  But I guess they won't be asking me about that now.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2013, 04:52:21 PM »
Sweet, sweet vindication.  :)
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2013, 07:54:19 AM »
I just got an IM from my boss: "Remind me at some point today we need to talk about your review goals."

:o

In the ten years I've been here, this is the first time he's ever mentioned talking about "review goals" outside of my review. And given the fact that I'm actively seeking new employment and don't plan to be here for my annual review in July, I find this absolutely hilarious.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5196
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2013, 08:10:26 AM »
I just got an IM from my boss: "Remind me at some point today we need to talk about your review goals."

:o

In the ten years I've been here, this is the first time he's ever mentioned talking about "review goals" outside of my review. And given the fact that I'm actively seeking new employment and don't plan to be here for my annual review in July, I find this absolutely hilarious.
I'd tell him my review goals include the NC mountains :D :D

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2013, 08:49:36 AM »
What does that even mean? "Review goals"?

It means talk about the "goals" that were set for me in my last annual review (in July). For example, a possible review goal for my boss would be, "Learn how to use the basics of a fucking Excel spreadsheet." Although probably with less cursing.

I'll be honest, I can't even remember what my review goals were from last year's review. Keep on keepin' on, I guess.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3188
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #125 on: February 07, 2013, 08:52:53 AM »
What does that even mean? "Review goals"?

It's annual review BS.

What are your goals?  How do your goals align with the mission statement?  How will you achieve these goals?  Rate your performance on last years goals...

GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jasimon1

« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2013, 09:00:05 AM »
Our goals this year were set as a group. Everyone had the same top 5 goals and you had one individual goals. The top 5 all had to do with things that were completely out of our hands (sales performance when we're not the ones doing the sales, etc.) Then, everyone was given the same score based on how the team did but we were asked to write justification for how we contributed to that score. I refused since 1) most of the time, I didn't contribute, thus how do you justify something you didn't do and 2) the only reason for the justifications is so that your manager can see what you did and give thier score based on it. So since my manager can't change my score even if I put "sold office supplies on the black market" under the profit goal, why waste my time writing anything?

Offline bta

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 739
  • Sort this; deliver that; I'll make 'em all pay.
« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2013, 08:04:22 PM »
One year in college when I worked at Burger King during my review the manager told me my goals were to: 

1.  Shave
2.  Show up on time
3.  We couldn't think of a third one.

I made $4.95 an hour.
\()/ 3~ \()/

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2013, 08:07:20 AM »
I can say my career goal would be to become self employed again, but for now I'll just settle for getting a transfer out of my current department :-[

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1385
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2013, 10:19:06 AM »
One year in college when I worked at Burger King during my review the manager told me my goals were to: 

1.  Shave
2.  Show up on time
3.  We couldn't think of a third one.

I made $4.95 an hour.

How DARE anyone tell you to shave!!! VIVA Los Bardas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just realized the folly of randomly looking up the word "beard" in a Spanish dictionary....it could have turned out rather interesting is what I am saying
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 10:22:04 AM by anais.butterfly »
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2013, 04:11:50 PM »
Review is done and now I'm waiting on lunch..

Overall it went better than expected but a raise won't come till later (April 1).
So yeah I had some small issues that were brought up and I'm sure that will go against me but it seems the manager thinks pretty highly of me (that was a surprise). I need more training on stuff and he knows I want to move up into management but reality seems to reflect he wants to keep me where I am because I help produce the numbers needed for orders.
I dunno.. I came out of there thinking I may still have a career there but am optamistic that it is just what I want to hear but in reality I think I won't get very far there :-[

jasimon1

« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2013, 06:00:59 PM »
I just got another form letter that pretty much says we're sorry that a crappy company bought the great company you used to work for. I know you used to have an actual career path but we took away the 7 levels you had and made them two. Since you're already in the top spot, you can either go to another group/company or move to Cincinnati and become a sales person if you would like a promotion. Every time they send me one of these and reaffirm that I'm in a completely dead end job it just crushes me for about a month. And perfect timing since my boss is coming into town on Monday and I have my review on Tuesday. Let's all hope I don't completely go off on her and quit.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2013, 09:41:22 AM »
The company has hired another new guy off the street this week. He's in his early 20's. The company Completely passed over the 58 year old temporary guy for a 7th time now, and he just fell ill on Wednesday with something (not sure what yet but it sounds serious).
Then last night the team lead about passed out from a serious dizzy spell and left around 10:30pm leaving me by myself to run 2 machines and build 2 carbide loads. I didn't get home till after 2am with a massive stress headache (which I still have today).. :-[

Only bright spots I see are it's Friday and I don't (think) I have to work this weekend, and I am scheduled for an interview with the Components manager for their tech job today; basically a side-step position from the Tools dept. to the Components dept..
I've already told the wife that if I don't get this job, I plan on leaving the company by June, probably take a trip to Mexico around my birthday and just go back to self-employment for the rest of the year then look for something else (if needed) in 2014. :-\

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2013, 09:54:34 PM »
More BS from my job.. ::)

So one of the coating machines keeps 'falling out' (basically shutting down due to some unknown error and not finishing a coating process) and even though it's been doing this more frequently the last 2 weeks, the senior maintenance tech seems to think it's operator error even though there's been no problems on our part prepping the machine for the next coating order..

Well last night it fell out again twice for some unknown reason and this time I did the change over and some minor things were found (old but usable targets, coating build up on igniters, etc) even though this has been an acceptable norm in the past, they decide to blame me for the recent fall out so one of the other coworkers preps it for the same coating recipe..

Guess What?? It fell out Yet Again!
So now one of the maintenance techs had to come in and work on it and again has no clue whats going on..

I had better not get a write-up for this because I will dispute it! >:(

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2013, 04:56:12 PM »
Another ramble if you will..

The boss called me Saturday around 1pm and asked me to call him back.. I waited till 2 to return his call and he didn't answer so I left him a message that I was real busy working on taxes (which I was at the time)..
He calls me back at around 5:30pm but left no message so I didn't call back.
So I come in today and get a talking to that I should have called him back cause he needed me to come in to get some orders built but never mentioned that in the message (not that I would have gone in anyway)..
So now my hours have changed from 4pm-12:30am (which I hardly ever got out on time) to 2pm-10:30pm. Great! You're doing me a favor with this! But I can tell the team lead is not happy about it cause he has to work 4-12:30am now and seems to not want to talk to me much today.
Great.. So the boss has created some tension between the coworkers. Just what I need to add to my stress level here ::)

Still no word on that other job, nor any raise :-[