login

Poll

Votes for all entries you feel are important enough to deserve a spot on the list. Don't just vote for shit because you like it, and don't just not vote for shit because you don't like it.

A Night at the Opera - Queen
10 (14.3%)
Ten - Pearl Jam
11 (15.7%)
Avalon - Roxy Music
5 (7.1%)
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
7 (10%)
├ćnema - Tool
6 (8.6%)
What A Crying Shame - The Mavericks
2 (2.9%)
Life'll Kill Ya - Warren Zevon
4 (5.7%)
Sailing The Seas Of Cheese - Primus
6 (8.6%)
London Calling - The Clash
11 (15.7%)
Off The Deep End - Weird Al Yakovic
8 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: August 19, 2012, 04:15:28 PM

Author Topic: 100 Albums to Which You Have to Listen, or All Y'all Need to Hear This!!!  (Read 43444 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4922
Re: 100 Albums to Which You Have to Listen, or All Y'all Need to Hear This!!!
« Reply #285 on: August 13, 2012, 11:12:38 PM »
For the next round, I'll nominate:

Golden Palominos - Pure

[The bold title above is a link to Allmusic.com's take on the album.]

I'll try to write more before the next poll starts, but I've had to rewrite this twice already (not thinking clearly and cleared the message writing box, when it had already taken me three attempts to write a sentence or two as it was :( ).

For starters, Golden Palominos is a Bill Laswell band.  [His name is a link to Allmusic.com's write-up on him, too.]

No-one has apparently uploaded the whole album (intact) to YouTube, so here is a 'starter cut' from it; the title cut.  The album cover has a boob on it, so the image in the YouTube sample is NSFW (hence the spoiler).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Russell

« Reply #286 on: August 14, 2012, 10:39:54 AM »
For the next round I'd like to nominate:
Brentalfloss - What if this CD had lyrics?

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #287 on: August 14, 2012, 11:50:46 AM »
I did a quick search for this album title and did not find it, so hopefully we be good:

I nominate A Rush of Blood to the Head by Coldplay

Look, just because liking Coldplay is proof that one is gay, and just because one has to be near death to like them doesn't detract from the fact that this really is a good album. Before Chris Martin married Gweneth and got all political and junk, the band produced a beautiful album that mixes poetic lyrics with positive and passionate guitar and piano melodies. This album is, to me, audible prozac. I cannot be sad when I listen to it.

Oh dear, I have forgotten how to embed....hmmm

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/d020hcWA_Wg?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/d020hcWA_Wg?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/W7Lmi_uemSc?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/W7Lmi_uemSc?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #288 on: August 14, 2012, 02:50:36 PM »
Look, just because liking Coldplay is proof that one is gay, and just because one has to be near death to like them doesn't detract from the fact that this really is a good album. Before Chris Martin married Gweneth and got all political and junk, the band produced a beautiful album that mixes poetic lyrics with positive and passionate guitar and piano melodies. This album is, to me, audible prozac. I cannot be sad when I listen to it.

Despite the fact that the board is often quite rude in attacking another person's likes or dislikes, there is no reason to 'pre-detract' from something you like.  :(

I honestly have never heard Coldplay, so am interested to have the opportunity to form my own opinion of them (since I wouldn't have gone out of my way to listen without someone pointing out an album of theirs that they liked).  So, thanks for the opportunity to finally hear a band that MK&B have ragged on for years [they've ragged on one of my favorite bands too, since the MST3K days, so I already know my musical taste doesn't mesh with theirs].
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #289 on: August 14, 2012, 03:03:28 PM »

Despite the fact that the board is often quite rude in attacking another person's likes or dislikes, there is no reason to 'pre-detract' from something you like.  :(

I honestly have never heard Coldplay, so am interested to have the opportunity to form my own opinion of them (since I wouldn't have gone out of my way to listen without someone pointing out an album of theirs that they liked).  So, thanks for the opportunity to finally hear a band that MK&B have ragged on for years [they've ragged on one of my favorite bands too, since the MST3K days, so I already know my musical taste doesn't mesh with theirs].

Personally, I like Coldplay... but I'm an Echo & The Bunnymen fan, and they're basically just E&tB re-hashed (they've openly admitted to it, as well as played as studio musicians on a few recent E&tB albums) so I can't complain much about them.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Zombie Monty

« Reply #290 on: August 14, 2012, 03:53:34 PM »
I was trying to think of something '80s to nominate for the next round.  Something with lots of synths and whatnot.  Dug through my LP's and found what may be a perfect example of '80s new wave music:

Berlin - Pleasure Victim

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/azr2ooLlfzQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/azr2ooLlfzQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Just a fantastic album.  If all you know of Berlin is the Top Gun song, you need to check out this album.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 04:04:12 PM by Zombie Monty »

Zombie Monty

« Reply #291 on: August 14, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »
just because liking Coldplay is proof that one is gay

A bit harsh, don't ya think?

Coldplay is hit or miss for me.  I really liked that song "Paradise" from their last album.  And the album you mentioned is really good.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #292 on: August 14, 2012, 04:12:51 PM »
I love Coldplay, Chris Martin is one of those rare singers who sound the same live.  No autotune for this guy.

And their music is beautiful too
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Russell

« Reply #293 on: August 14, 2012, 05:54:05 PM »
I'm very surprised A night at the opera isn't getting more votes... don't most people think that's Queen's best album?

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #294 on: August 14, 2012, 05:59:35 PM »
I'm very surprised A night at the opera isn't getting more votes... don't most people think that's Queen's best album?

Beats me. I'm not a Queen fan.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2911
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #295 on: August 14, 2012, 06:15:29 PM »

I'd say it's a toss up with News Of The World.  I will vote for it when I get around to it, need to listen to more of the stuff I haven't heard to see what they are like.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #296 on: August 14, 2012, 07:35:43 PM »
Does no one remember the 40 yr old virgin? Both of my coldplay comments were from comedy and, therefore, jokes

So to recap: coldplay.is awesome and I was trying to be funny

Now the Samsung galaxy x2....that is some suck.right there...i say because i am using it to post and its hard to type grammatically
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Zombie Monty

« Reply #297 on: August 14, 2012, 07:38:18 PM »
Does no one remember the 40 yr old virgin? Both of my coldplay comments were from comedy and, therefore, jokes

Now the Samsung galaxy x2....that is some suck.right there...i say because i am using it to post and its hard to type grammatically

I'm glad you added that last part.  I was afraid you might have had a stroke.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #298 on: August 14, 2012, 08:00:39 PM »
Before I space out and miss the nominating phase again...

Couldn't Stand the Weather - Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble

VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #299 on: August 14, 2012, 08:11:16 PM »

Ah, OK.  I don't like Steve Carell's stuff since he left the Daily Show (wasn't particularly fond of it when he was on it), and there was nothing about the ads for 40-Year Old Virgin that looked remotely amusing to me, so I never saw it, so impossible to get the references.

[I think the smilies are available to help prevent this sort of misunderstanding.]
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 09:35:54 PM by LucasM »