login

Poll

Votes for all entries you feel are important enough to deserve a spot on the list. Don't just vote for shit because you like it, and don't just not vote for shit because you don't like it.

A Night at the Opera - Queen
10 (14.3%)
Ten - Pearl Jam
11 (15.7%)
Avalon - Roxy Music
5 (7.1%)
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
7 (10%)
├ćnema - Tool
6 (8.6%)
What A Crying Shame - The Mavericks
2 (2.9%)
Life'll Kill Ya - Warren Zevon
4 (5.7%)
Sailing The Seas Of Cheese - Primus
6 (8.6%)
London Calling - The Clash
11 (15.7%)
Off The Deep End - Weird Al Yakovic
8 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: August 19, 2012, 04:15:28 PM

Author Topic: 100 Albums to Which You Have to Listen, or All Y'all Need to Hear This!!!  (Read 43434 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4922
Can't function enough to add details now, but nominating:

Brand X - Unorthodox Behavior

for the next round.

Fuck yeah. Check out Lucas bringin' the fusion! This is an absolutely amazing album. If you haven't heard it before, you're in for a real musical treat.

agreed phil collins haters get ready.  there are some amazing live shows from these guys too if you like them.

It is Soooooo not a Phil Collins 'band'; he was in it for the first couple albums, but there isn't a single bandmember that stands out as 'special' in it.  [And I've got more to say about them when I'm functioning again.  ...Just don't want "Phil Collins haters" to be primed to hate something that sounds nothing like Phil Collins' other work.]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
We need some country in here, I nomitate for a coming round

Van Lear Rose--Loretta Lynn and Jack White

Its tough choosing just one Loretta album, also really enjoy Back to Country.  The Pill is classic.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Invader_quirk

We need some country in here

In all seriousness, nominate whatever you want. I have never once heard a country song that didn't make me cringe, though. And I grew up in Kansas; I've heard more than my share.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
Can't function enough to add details now, but nominating:

Brand X - Unorthodox Behavior

for the next round.

Fuck yeah. Check out Lucas bringin' the fusion! This is an absolutely amazing album. If you haven't heard it before, you're in for a real musical treat.

agreed phil collins haters get ready.  there are some amazing live shows from these guys too if you like them.

It is Soooooo not a Phil Collins 'band'; he was in it for the first couple albums, but there isn't a single bandmember that stands out as 'special' in it.  [And I've got more to say about them when I'm functioning again.  ...Just don't want "Phil Collins haters" to be primed to hate something that sounds nothing like Phil Collins' other work.]

well i think phil definately stands out as special in there.  as does morris pert and john giblin and percy jones and robin lumley.  brilliant band.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5829
  • Mr. Robot
In all seriousness, nominate whatever you want. I have never once heard a country song that didn't make me cringe, though. And I grew up in Kansas; I've heard more than my share.

What about Johnny Cash?  I think American Recordings IV would be a great nomination.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Or

or this one

Country is pretty shitty these days, but this isn;t to say there's never been good tunes, I mean universally good ones.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 05:34:07 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
I've always been a fan of Hank Williams (the first).  That's some good stuff there.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
Sod it I'll nominate this one:

The First Edition - The First Edition

You have to hear the album this

<a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/yhOKhJaM1QE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/yhOKhJaM1QE</a>

came from y'all.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:29:41 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5829
  • Mr. Robot

County is pretty shitty these days, but this isn;t to say there's never been good tunes, I mean universally good ones.

Yeah, the current trend is referred to (derogatorily) as country-politan and most of what I hear of the modern stuff is bland.

Still, there was a column that I love on AV Club that's a great way to learn about country from a writer who was pretty unfamiliar with the genre (he was really more of a hip-hop fan).  It's a great read (although I wish they didn't list it in reverse chronological order).

http://www.avclub.com/features/nashville-or-bust/2/

EDIT: You better write the title and bold it, or Barnes might miss it.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
spoilered for space reasons (since the rest of this is just above)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
well i think phil definately stands out as special in there.  as does morris pert and john giblin and percy jones and robin lumley.  brilliant band.

Yes: I meant "stands out as noticeably head and shoulders above the rest of the band members".  Yes, they were all excellent, that's why I nominated that album (and will likely nominate another before this is done).  My brain just hasn't been functioning enough (since all the stuff I wrote on Wednesday) to be as specific as I usually am right off the bat at this point.

[P.S. You forgot John Goodsall. ;) ]
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

EDIT:
I just wanted to make sure this hadn't sounded like I was upset or irritated (other than with my current condition).  When I'm way past my limits I write VERY concretely (i.e. emotionless/'technical'-type writing) and don't intend to sound snippy or something, but it may read that way as things tend to be stated rather 'short'.

The same was true of my interchange with Johnny Unusual on the top of the previous page and the bottom of the one prior to that, leading up to when I said:
YMMV is one of the older 'internetisms': "Your Mileage May Vary".  [useful link I have bookmarked: http://www.acronymfinder.com/]
I was NOT saying, "older, so you should know it," I was saying, "older - as in possibly 'ancient history of the internet'; and possibly as archaic as if I'd said something was 'groovy' or 'far out' in real life".

Hopefully that clarifies a bit.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:29:40 AM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
Still, there was a column that I love on AV Club that's a great way to learn about country from a writer who was pretty unfamiliar with the genre (he was really more of a hip-hop fan).  It's a great read (although I wish they didn't list it in reverse chronological order).

http://www.avclub.com/features/nashville-or-bust/2/

EDIT: You better write the title and bold it, or Barnes might miss it.
Bookmarked that and fixed my post. :)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
[since likely most people don't go back to see if earlier posts were edited, I just wanted to point out the edit to my post just above Tripe's]

[now back to your regularly-scheduled thread...]

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Okay, we've got ten nominations for round four.

Here's what I've got; let me know if I missed anything.

Elvis - Elvis Presley - MartyS (Gromit)
Reconstruction Site - The Weakerthans - Invader_quirk
Synchronicity - The Police - Gunflyer
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds - TheUnabeefer
The Joshua Tree - U2 - Starman!
The Lonesome Crowded West - Modest Mouse - Asbestos Bill
Unorthodox Behavior - Brand X -LucasM
Doolittle - Pixies - Johnny Unusual
Van Lear Rose - Loretta Lynn and Jack White - Mrs. Dick Courier
The First Edition - The First Edition - Tripe H. Redux

Please hold off on new nominations until the next poll starts.

I keep forgetting to nominate until it's already full up!  :grr:
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes

I think the rest of us would allow you to make an exception to your "no 2nd-round-from-now-nominations" for yourself under these circumstances. :)  I mean, shit, you're doing a ton of work for this, you ought to be able to participate beyond just voting.

Any objections to D.B. being able to nominate 'a round in advance' of current nominations?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:44:09 AM by LucasM »

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs

I think the rest of us would allow you to make an exception to your "no 2nd-round-from-now-nominations" for yourself under these circumstances. :)  I mean, shit, you're doing a ton of work for this, you ought to be able to participate beyond just voting.

Any objections to D.B. being able to nominate 'a round in advance' of current nominations?

None from me... Now quit brown-nosing, Lucas!
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.