login

Poll

Votes for all entries you feel are important enough to deserve a spot on the list. Don't just vote for shit because you like it, and don't just not vote for shit because you don't like it.

A Night at the Opera - Queen
10 (14.3%)
Ten - Pearl Jam
11 (15.7%)
Avalon - Roxy Music
5 (7.1%)
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
7 (10%)
Ænema - Tool
6 (8.6%)
What A Crying Shame - The Mavericks
2 (2.9%)
Life'll Kill Ya - Warren Zevon
4 (5.7%)
Sailing The Seas Of Cheese - Primus
6 (8.6%)
London Calling - The Clash
11 (15.7%)
Off The Deep End - Weird Al Yakovic
8 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: August 19, 2012, 04:15:28 PM

Author Topic: 100 Albums to Which You Have to Listen, or All Y'all Need to Hear This!!!  (Read 43476 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5829
  • Mr. Robot
What is YMMV?  You Make Music Videos?  Yogurt My Mother Vents?  This is not a thing I know.

But I certainly understand where you are coming from.  There's a lot of art I don't get or care for but I know there's probably more going on than my underdeveloped palate can understand.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4922
What is YMMV?  You Make Music Videos?  Yogurt My Mother Vents?  This is not a thing I know.

But I certainly understand where you are coming from.  There's a lot of art I don't get or care for but I know there's probably more going on than my underdeveloped palate can understand.

YMMV is one of the older 'internetisms': "Your Mileage May Vary".  [useful link I have bookmarked: http://www.acronymfinder.com/]

And, as I try to do with my expressions of my taste, I describe it as such: MY taste.  There are people who like many things I don't, and many people dislike things that I do.  Each person has developed their own responses over their lifetime, and their brain chemistry and wiring respond differently to the same stimulus because of it.  It makes the world an interesting place: if there wasn't the variety there is, I'd never find the kind of things that I REALLY enjoy and that affect me so deeply, as I'm not skilled enough to produce them myself.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:55:52 AM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Funny, it occurred to me it could have been Your Musical Mojo May Vary, but then I realized that was 3 "M"s.  Somehow, "Mileage" never occurred to me.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
Funny, it occurred to me it could have been Your Musical Mojo May Vary, but then I realized that was 3 "M"s.  Somehow, "Mileage" never occurred to me.

It is possible it originated with TV auto ads.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
BTW, listened to Electric Lady Land in prep for this.  Damned fine album, though I can't articulate beyond it's very funky and with great guitar work.  Looking forward to the rest of the albums.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
nice writeups on king crimson there.  cant add too much for it.  glad to see the love for discipline, i like pretty much all their incarnations for one reason or another but the 80s stuff is probably my favorite and my actual all time favorite release is absent lovers live show from the 3 of a perfect pair tour a great summation of all the 80s works.  with a little red and larks tongues in aspic 2 to liven things up.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
FYI. I got the master spreadsheet up and running, so you can check what's been nominated, what's won, number of votes, etc.

Here's the spreadsheet on Google docs.

There's a permanent link embedded in the first post of the thread.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
I think the next thing I nominate will be a Pixies album, but I'm having trouble with which one to nominate.  This is gonna take some soul searching.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
I think the next thing I nominate will be a Pixies album, but I'm having trouble with which one to nominate.  This is gonna take some soul searching.

I think Doolittle is their strongest as an album, and also a great entry point.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
I think I'll nominate The Lonesome Crowded West by Modest Mouse. It's very close between that and This is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About, but overall LCW has held up a bit better. Earlier I talked about an album that took several listens to really get. Actually, I may have mentioned this specifically, but I'll restate my feelings here. Basically, I believe that for an album to really last, it has to have something that you can't appreciate immediately—something that has to keep after you for you to eventually realize you can't live without it. Like that Death Cab for Cutie song (from an album I will probably nominate at some point), "You've got to take some time, love ... and I know that you'll find ... I will posses your heart."

So I hope you will take the time to listen to TLCW early enough that you can hear it often enough to fall in love with it. It's an hour and 13 minute journey that I always find cathartic. Like they say, "my brain is the cliff and my heart's the bitter buffalo."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Qrsrj7zsLg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5Qrsrj7zsLg</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OjecIllOEio" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/OjecIllOEio</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/f43WbnN2tBU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/f43WbnN2tBU</a>

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
Can't function enough to add details now, but nominating:

Brand X - Unorthodox Behavior

for the next round.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"

for the next round.

Fuck yeah. Check out Lucas bringin' the fusion! This is an absolutely amazing album. If you haven't heard it before, you're in for a real musical treat.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot

I think Doolittle is their strongest as an album, and also a great entry point.

That's what I was thinking, but Surfer Rosa is also really tempting due to the presence of "Cactus" (my all time favourite Pixies song), "Where is My Mind" and "Bone Machine".  Then again Doolittle has "Wave of Mutilation", "Monkey Gone to Heaven" and "Gouge Away".  I'll probably go with it, but this is a tough one.  I'll spend a little more time thinking of it.  I suppose the other tricky part is I really got into Frank Black long after the Pixies broke up (which is why I might be the only guy in the world who prefers, on the whole, Frank's solo stuff.  I love Cult of Ray) so I got into Pixies by downloading random songs on Napster, so a lot of their work doesn't register as albums in my mind and it all blends together.  Still looking up Doolittle, it was nominated as several best albums of all time list, so that just makes sense.  Go popularity.

I nominate Doolittle - Pixies

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
I think I'll nominate The Lonesome Crowded West by Modest Mouse.
Always been my favourite.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?

for the next round.

Fuck yeah. Check out Lucas bringin' the fusion! This is an absolutely amazing album. If you haven't heard it before, you're in for a real musical treat.

agreed phil collins haters get ready.  there are some amazing live shows from these guys too if you like them.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE