Poll

Votes for all entries you feel are important enough to deserve a spot on the list. Don't just vote for shit because you like it, and don't just not vote for shit because you don't like it.

A Night at the Opera - Queen
10 (14.3%)
Ten - Pearl Jam
11 (15.7%)
Avalon - Roxy Music
5 (7.1%)
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
7 (10%)
├ćnema - Tool
6 (8.6%)
What A Crying Shame - The Mavericks
2 (2.9%)
Life'll Kill Ya - Warren Zevon
4 (5.7%)
Sailing The Seas Of Cheese - Primus
6 (8.6%)
London Calling - The Clash
11 (15.7%)
Off The Deep End - Weird Al Yakovic
8 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: August 19, 2012, 04:15:28 PM

Author Topic: 100 Albums to Which You Have to Listen, or All Y'all Need to Hear This!!!  (Read 43507 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4922
Axis: Bold As Love - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

I think this is the band's best album. From start to finish, it's just an incredibly well-rounded record, featuring several of their best and most beautiful songs. Spanish Castle Magic, Castles Made of Sand, Bold As Love, and Little Wing are all here, along with some cool tracks tying it all together. It's just a wonderful listening experience.

I've never considered Hendrix to be a great lead guitarist, but easily one of the greatest rhythm players of all time. The way he so effortlessly fills the musical space with rhythm lines and licks is truly amazing, and a real treat to listen to.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uR5MpWgVxHk?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uR5MpWgVxHk?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

During the course of this list I was planning to nominate all three of Hendrix's first three albums (the official ones he wanted released), because they are all exceptional and groundbreaking for one reason or another.  You beat me to this one.  :)

Given D.B.'s comments, for those not aware: playing live, Hendrix would often play rhythm and lead at the same time.  And, because his fingers were so long, he could stretch his hand all the way around the fretboard and use his thumb as another 'note-choosing' finger.  He was also completely self-taught.

In addition, some of the things musicians now take for granted (e.g. phase shifters) were created by Hendrix so that he could get the sounds in his head out where others could hear them.  He designed a speaker system where two speakers would rotate in their cabinets, giving the alternately 'open' and 'muffled' sound (later this was done electronically).  His 'instruments' were as much electricity itself in its role in sound production, and the recording studio, as the guitar.  He knew how the guitar interacted with what was around it, altering its sound with whatever was handy, inducing feedback to punctuate and deepen the sounds and emotional effect he wanted to achieve [e.g. the sounds of bombs dropping in 'Machine Gun' on 'Band of Gypsys'].  He played electricity and the studio every bit as proficiently as the instrument everyone knows him for.

[Yes, all but the link to phase shifters on Wikipedia was off the top of my head.]

This round is interesting because I'd already heard all but one of them, and there were samples of that one in its nomination.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 11:32:20 AM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
de evolution is real
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
During the course of this list I was planning to nominate all three of Hendrix's first three albums (the official ones he wanted released), because they are all exceptional and groundbreaking for one reason or another.  You beat me to this one.  :)

Given D.B.'s comments, for those not aware: playing live, Hendrix would often play rhythm and lead at the same time.  And, because his fingers were so long, he could stretch his hand all the way around the fretboard and use his thumb as another 'note-choosing' finger.  He was also completely self-taught.

In addition, some of the things musicians now take for granted (e.g. phase shifters) were created by Hendrix so that he could get the sounds in his head out where others could hear them.  He designed a speaker system where two speakers would rotate in their cabinets, giving the alternately 'open' and 'muffled' sound (later this was done electronically).  His 'instruments' were as much electricity itself in its role in sound production, and the recording studio, as the guitar.  He knew how the guitar interacted with what was around it, altering its sound with whatever was handy, inducing feedback to punctuate and deepen the sounds and emotional effect he wanted to achieve [e.g. the sounds of bombs dropping in 'Machine Gun' on 'Band of Gypsys'].  He played electricity and the studio every bit as proficiently as the instrument everyone knows him for.

[Yes, all but the link to phase shifters on Wikipedia was off the top of my head.]

This round is interesting because I'd already heard all but one of them, and there were samples of that one in its nomination.

AAAAAAND Hendrix credited his interest in exploring the guitar and what you could do with/to it to a Mr Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd (who toured with Hendrix very early on)  Syd was in the midst of his "going insane" and would frequently set his guitars on fire while on stage (amongst other things like not having strings on the guitar... and occasionally just making toast on stage instead of playing altogether)

So that being said, I'd like to nominate Syd Barrett's "Madcap Laughs" album.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Madcap_Laughs
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
AAAAAAAnd Hendrix also famously after a early king crimson show asked Robert Fripp to shake his left hand as it was closer to his heart. 

so that being said lets try:

King Crimson In The Court of the Crimson King.  not my favorite crimson album but certainly a must listen.  and awesome cover art as well.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
AAAAAAAnd Hendrix also famously after a early king crimson show asked Robert Fripp to shake his left hand as it was closer to his heart. 

so that being said lets try:

King Crimson In The Court of the Crimson King.  not my favorite crimson album but certainly a must listen.  and awesome cover art as well.

Haha I was waiting a while to suggest Red.  Even Kurt Cobain (who everyone worships apparently) said it was his favourite rock album.

...but as I am a hardcore kCrimson fanatic, Court is seconded by me!!
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
red is pretty huge i actually really like three of a perfect pair though that could never make a list like this.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
red is pretty huge i actually really like three of a perfect pair though that could never make a list like this.

THRAK!!!  Okay, I'm done.

I've voted already.... Can we get to the next set now?!

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
Vote.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1377
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Easy vote, Nevermind & Who's Next?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
I thought there were going to be two U2 albums in this set? Wasn't Joshua Tree in there?

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
I thought there were going to be two U2 albums in this set? Wasn't Joshua Tree in there?

Beef suggested two albums in one post. I chose the one from the band that wasn't already nominated for that round. I think there are enough albums out there worthy of nomination to where we don't have to nominate two from the same band in a single round.

Everybody okay with that? Great!
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
Don't worry, I'll nominate The Joshua Tree for the next round. ;)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs

Beef suggested two albums in one post. I chose the one from the band that wasn't already nominated for that round. I think there are enough albums out there worthy of nomination to where we don't have to nominate two from the same band in a single round.

Everybody okay with that? Great!

Yeah, albums by the same band should be in separate rounds until we get to having to eliminate one over the other.  It only makes logical sense, and therefore I am okay with it.

I did vote for Achtung Baby, despite my stance that it really isn't as necessary for people to hear as Joshua Tree.  I just listened to AB again yesterday, and I still don't get what the big deal with the album is.  Only a few songs really stood out as being "great" but opinions differ per person.

Mine is just the RIGHT one.

I also voted for Nirvana, Devo, Talking Heads, The Who, and Depeche Mode.

Russell

when is the next round? My nomination last time was so stupid because I should have known most people here probably haven't heard of it.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
The poll runs until Tuesday, but in the meantime, feel free to get your nominations in for round three. We need seven more albums.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!