Poll

Votes for all entries you feel are important enough to deserve a spot on the list. Don't just vote for shit because you like it, and don't just not vote for shit because you don't like it.

A Night at the Opera - Queen
10 (14.3%)
Ten - Pearl Jam
11 (15.7%)
Avalon - Roxy Music
5 (7.1%)
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
7 (10%)
├ćnema - Tool
6 (8.6%)
What A Crying Shame - The Mavericks
2 (2.9%)
Life'll Kill Ya - Warren Zevon
4 (5.7%)
Sailing The Seas Of Cheese - Primus
6 (8.6%)
London Calling - The Clash
11 (15.7%)
Off The Deep End - Weird Al Yakovic
8 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: August 19, 2012, 04:15:28 PM

Author Topic: 100 Albums to Which You Have to Listen, or All Y'all Need to Hear This!!!  (Read 41744 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
Seriously, can someone fix the "change vote" thing?  I didn't realize till the last second that I could change my vote and that I could actually just LISTEN TO ALL OF THESE ALBUMS ON YOUTUBE.  Still gonna listen to them all, though, but I think I made the right choice, if I could only pick one.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
I dunno. We might have start a flame war to even get a mod to come into this thread.

So on that note, Kirk isn't fit to lick the sweat off Picard's balls!
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2659
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
I dunno. We might have start a flame war to even get a mod to come into this thread.

No no no, Mike is way better than Joel!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"

No no no, Mike is way better than Joel!

<humorlessreply>You'll get no argument from me.</humorlessreply>
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot

YEAH!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
You have summoned me with your flaming!

Kirk is best. Mike is best. Fire will cleanse the earth of all evil.

Also, you can change votes now. :^)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
Okay. I'm finally acquiring the albums I have not yet heard...

And only five for Indianolla Mississippi Seeds?

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662

Well, I'm one of those five.  Though I've heard quite a bit since my brother has always been into it, personally I'm not much for 'classic' blues [as opposed to blues-rock, like Hendrix, Zeppelin's first couple, etc.].  But I dug around and found that album and it is exceptional.  (An aside: It would've been recorded about 3-4 years before I saw Mr. Waters at a party I went to in high school.  He was a neighbor of the people throwing the party ['party'=beer, pot, whatever] and he just 'dropped by' and was playing by himself with a small amp, sitting on a folding chair on the grass in the people's back yard.  So we were able to go up and talk to him a bit.  If I remember correctly I asked him if he wanted to smoke a joint with us and he courteously declined.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 11:30:42 AM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2659
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
As things go along if there are some types of music not getting in maybe there should be some rounds dedicated to them.  Like an R&B, or Classical round.  The Blues Brothers movie got me into R&B a bit, then Pat Benatar did a pretty cool R&B album (True Love) and I went looking for the originals.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks

Well, I'm one of those five.  Though I've heard quite a bit since my brother has always been into it, personally I'm not much for 'classic' blues [as opposed to blues-rock, like Hendrix, Zeppelin's first couple, etc.].  But I dug around and found that album and it is exceptional.  (An aside: It would've been recorded about 3-4 years before I saw Mr. Waters at a party I went to in high school.  He was a neighbor of the people throwing the party ['party'=beer, pot, whatever] and he just 'dropped by' and was playing by himself with a small amp, sitting on a folding chair on the grass in the people's back yard.  So we were able to go up and talk to him a bit.  If I remember correctly I asked him if he wanted to smoke a joint with us and he courteously declined.)

I don't know the Mr. Waters you're talking about, but that sounds like a cool story.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes

I don't know the Mr. Waters you're talking about, but that sounds like a cool story.

Shit!  Brain still shorting way the fuck out... thinking 'B.B. King' but my memory brought up that Muddy Waters experience.  >:(  I only saw B.B. King (around that same time) at a regular outdoor 'fest'-type concert (i.e. with hundreds of people there, and a number of other bands playing through the day) with my bro and a bunch of each of our friends.

[Oh, and the "Mr. Waters" in the prior post was a mild attempt at humor... I know his name is actually McKinley Morganfield, not "Muddy Waters".]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:13:14 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
For the next round, I nominate something that may fit the 'does anyone really NOT know this?' category (like 'Dark Side of the Moon' did):

The Who - Who's Next

But, just in case there are people who haven't heard it, here ya' go:
<a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/LVM5OVxLfq0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/LVM5OVxLfq0</a>

If you just want one tune - though it is hard to pick just one - try this:
<a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/SHhrZgojY1Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/SHhrZgojY1Q</a>

I feel this is one of the few albums where if even a single note was changed, it would be a 'lesser' listening experience.  It is also one of few albums that, when I'm down, seems to always lift my spirits if I listen to it intently (intently = 'with little to no focus on anything else').

Oh, and the 'why it belongs on the list': while it perfectly summarized the time in which it was made, the grace and beauty and emotional power of the music is timeless.   [<=this last sentence/paragraph added after Tripe's 'Like', just so it's known he didn't necessarily agree with this (though he might)]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 06:37:07 PM by LucasM »

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
I personally would like to suggest Joshua Tree by U2.  While I'm not a huge U2 fan and my favourite album by theirs was actually War... Joshua Tree is still an album I think pretty much everyone needs to have listened to at least once in their lives, or they will die.

And another recommendation is Depeche Mode's Violator album.  Even the "singles" on this one have severely different mixes on the album version... so even if you think you know the songs from the radio, you haven't heard them like on the album.  Extended version of "Personal Jesus" ... the minute and a half coda to "Enjoy the Silence" ... Just a morphinominal album.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
So two U2 albums in the next round? Sweet! I nominated Achtung Baby a few pages ago. That album took everything about U2 and spun it around.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
I personally would like to suggest Joshua Tree by U2.  While I'm not a huge U2 fan and my favourite album by theirs was actually War... Joshua Tree is still an album I think pretty much everyone needs to have listened to at least once in their lives, or they will die.

I 'heart' this part of the post.  :)  [Haven't heard the other yet, so don't know whether I 'heart'(agree) with it or not.]

I agree Joshua Tree is an incredible album start to finish, and if someone else hadn't beaten me to it, I would have nominated it at some point.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:29:43 PM by LucasM »