login

Poll

Votes for all entries you feel are important enough to deserve a spot on the list. Don't just vote for shit because you like it, and don't just not vote for shit because you don't like it.

A Night at the Opera - Queen
10 (14.3%)
Ten - Pearl Jam
11 (15.7%)
Avalon - Roxy Music
5 (7.1%)
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
7 (10%)
Ænema - Tool
6 (8.6%)
What A Crying Shame - The Mavericks
2 (2.9%)
Life'll Kill Ya - Warren Zevon
4 (5.7%)
Sailing The Seas Of Cheese - Primus
6 (8.6%)
London Calling - The Clash
11 (15.7%)
Off The Deep End - Weird Al Yakovic
8 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: August 19, 2012, 04:15:28 PM

Author Topic: 100 Albums to Which You Have to Listen, or All Y'all Need to Hear This!!!  (Read 40501 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4586
I think they will be difficult to get on the list but not impossible, depending on how they're presented. I'm not a musicologist, but some of my favorites that I plan on nominating are representative of American music history (as well as being a joy to listen to). I've got a couple of Doc Watson and Frank Sinatra albums in mind, and also someone to represent the big band era (still trying to decide between Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Harry James, Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, and so on). Music like that is important to our history and I'd like to see it remembered.

I will likely nominate a Benny Goodman at some point.  I agree: those you mention are important historically and need to be remembered and heard by a larger crowd.  [Much like the 'mainstream classic' v. 'obscure jem' choices sometimes made on the '103 Films' thread.]

[EDIT post-wurwolf's 'Like', just so 'Like'ing this part isn't automatically attributed to her: I am not a musicologist either (though earlier in life I did do as much research as I could into bands I liked, to find out how they worked/composed, what their thoughts about their work were, etc., it was all informal [things like 'Down Beat' magazine, books/mags on Hendrix, etc.]), but, regardless of limited formal training (a single 'Music History: 20th Century' class [<= this ONE class being the ONLY formal academic learning about music], but my parents were heavily into classical (and father into 30s-50s jazz and mother who took my brother and I to see The Beatles when I was 7 and the Stones for my 8th birthday present (my request), assorted lessons on multiple instruments, and playing viola in Jr High and High School orchestra for a total of 5 years [none of which give academic knowledge]), like the title to (one of?) Vincent Price's books on art, "I Like What I Know", and music has a powerful effect on me (with a good portion of my favorites: head-to-toe goosebumps, into the music so much it feels like I'm having an out-of-body experience, etc.). ]

[[Yup, past my limits: that whole bracketed/added 'edit' thing was one frickin' convoluted sentence I can't think well enough to break up into its component parts and keep the relevant parts together (tried and failed).  :-\ ]]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:48:26 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

MontyServo

Sorry, I had to delete the poll to change the settings so people can change their votes.

Um... Did you, though? I don't see the button...

It was there yesterday. *sigh*

Well, fuck, whaddya wanna do? How about we declare three winners and carry over the nominations with five and six votes? Of course, who's to say the poll isn't just gonna fuck us again? Goddamit.

Well I haven't had a chance to listen to that Duran Duran album yet so I haven't voted yet.  (Got access to all ten albums so should be able to listen before the polls close.)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
It was there yesterday. *sigh*

Well, fuck, whaddya wanna do? How about we declare three winners and carry over the nominations with five and six votes? Of course, who's to say the poll isn't just gonna fuck us again? Goddamit.

Well I haven't had a chance to listen to that Duran Duran album yet so I haven't voted yet.  (Got access to all ten albums so should be able to listen before the polls close.)

Yeah, might as well at least let it finish. Maybe a mod could alter it though?

Also, for next poll: Blondie — Parallel Lines

I've never been much into Pop, partially because I'm often unsure what qualifies (seriously, one of the most useless distinctions), but I don't think I'm alone in my suspicion that this is one of the premiere albums of the genre (and another of the best covers). I'll embed songs later, but the whole thing is just fun from start to finish. And of course everyone knows "Heart of Glass."

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
[EDIT post-wurwolf's 'Like', just so 'Like'ing this part isn't automatically attributed to her: I am not a musicologist either (though earlier in life I did do as much research as I could into bands I liked, to find out how they worked/composed, what their thoughts about their work were, etc., it was all informal [things like 'Down Beat' magazine, books/mags on Hendrix, etc.]), but, regardless of limited formal training (a single 'Music History: 20th Century' class [<= this ONE class being the ONLY formal academic learning about music], but my parents were heavily into classical (and father into 30s-50s jazz and mother who took my brother and I to see The Beatles when I was 7 and the Stones for my 8th birthday present (my request), assorted lessons on multiple instruments, and playing viola in Jr High and High School orchestra for a total of 5 years [none of which give academic knowledge]), like the title to (one of?) Vincent Price's books on art, "I Like What I Know", and music has a powerful effect on me (with a good portion of my favorites: head-to-toe goosebumps, into the music so much it feels like I'm having an out-of-body experience, etc.). ]

[[Yup, past my limits: that whole bracketed/added 'edit' thing was one frickin' convoluted sentence I can't think well enough to break up into its component parts and keep the relevant parts together (tried and failed).  :-\ ]]

I would have liked it anyway, because I totally get those feelings about music, too. :)
Bonhead #2
fs!!

MontyServo

Lemme get my next pick in first thing:

Talking Heads - True Stories
The companion (but not soundtrack) album to the film of the same name.  In my opinion, a magical album with some really great songs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MontyServo

OK a few comments on what I have listened to so far.

Duran Duran - I listened to this, what I am guessing was their latest album. It was OK.  I love '80s music and love that classic artists are still releasing new music.  There were a few tracks that sounded like they could have been on Rio or Seven and The Ragged Tiger, which was kinda cool.  But I can't see this being a must listen to album.  So no vote from me.

The Beatles - One of the few Beatles albums that is a struggle for me to get through.  I just prefer Revolver or Help! as my favorite Beatles albums to this one. So no vote from me.

Josh Ritter - Had never heard of him before and was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this album.  I will definitely keep him on my radar and listen to more by him.  On the fence on whether to vote for this.  Might have to give it another listen.

Pink Floyd, Rush, and Santana - Automatic votes from me.  Don't need to listen to them again (but will.)

R.E.M. - Obviously a vote from me since I suggested it.  My favorite by them, just about a perfect album.

Still have to listen to Jay-Z, Jeff Wayne, B.B. King.  Will get back to you on them.  I think I may have heard that War of the Worlds album before.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
I voted for Abraxas and DSOTM.

I also prefer Help!, Rubber Soul, and Revolver over anything later by the Beatles.... ESPECIALLY the white album.  It has some great songs, but as a whole, it's disjointed and a mess of an album.  I've always considered it their "Ummagumma"
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
If I was functioning better, I'd try to do what Monty did, as I think that description of what HE heard when listening is a great insight into Monty's taste.  That's one of the fun things about lists/voting like this.  :)

[I agree with the 'white album' comments (Monty's, TheUnabeefer's, etc.); it seems more disjointed to me than Abbey Road, which was the last stuff they recorded (tho not the last released, obviously), and Abbey Road was recorded when the BAND was disjointed and largely disconnected from one-another.]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 02:35:34 AM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
Oh, and I for some reason didn't notice Automatic For The People until after I voted....
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
[spoilered my post just to conserve 'visual space']

I would have liked it anyway, because I totally get those feelings about music, too. :)

There are very few people in my life (if any) who have understood that reaction of mine to music.  Nice to know another. :)

[With the disclaimer: I hate people misquoting or misattributing things I say, so wanted to make it clear you hadn't seen that before 'Like'-ing it.  ...So people wouldn't think you were maybe 'Like'-ing the fact that I was messed up that bad or something. ;) ]

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
It may be a little different for me than for you, but I understand that music is often a completely moving experience on its own -- without the aid of sight or touch, but simply by being heard. Just this afternoon I was walking down 8th Avenue and "Black Mountain Rag" by Doc Watson showed up on my mp3 player and, as hot as it was, I got goosebumps because of the way he could play a guitar, the dips and turns the song took, and the way a particular set of notes went together. I find stuff like that amazing, not just because a musician is especially skilled but also at the craft that goes into making a song. A lot of Bach pieces totally slay me because they're so deftly woven and have a near mathematical precision.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks

There are very few people in my life (if any) who have understood that reaction of mine to music.

There are songs I can get chills from just remembering. I am very distractable in general, however, and find it hard to concentrate to music for extended periods. I'm somewhat embarrassed by that actually.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
It may be a little different for me than for you, but I understand that music is often a completely moving experience on its own -- without the aid of sight or touch, but simply by being heard. Just this afternoon I was walking down 8th Avenue and "Black Mountain Rag" by Doc Watson showed up on my mp3 player and, as hot as it was, I got goosebumps because of the way he could play a guitar, the dips and turns the song took, and the way a particular set of notes went together. I find stuff like that amazing, not just because a musician is especially skilled but also at the craft that goes into making a song. A lot of Bach pieces totally slay me because they're so deftly woven and have a near mathematical precision.

Yes.  There are a number of tunes that are so exquisitely PERFECT that I tear up just because of their perfection; every note in its ideal place: played with precision, and with grace.  [OK: fuck it, I just HAD to rhyme there!]  It often feels like what I hear about people's religious experiences.

Jimi Hendrix once said [paraphrasing, because I can't remember where the hell I saw it, so can't get the exact quote  :P ]:
"The listener of a piece of music should put as much effort into listening to the piece of music, as the artist put into creating it."
I agree with that; and I feel if music doesn't 'stand up' to that much attention, it is seldom worth listening to at all.

There are very few people in my life (if any) who have understood that reaction of mine to music.

There are songs I can get chills from just remembering. I am very distractable in general, however, and find it hard to concentrate to music for extended periods. I'm somewhat embarrassed by that actually.

Just to clarify: the 'Like' was NOT to the 'embarrassment' part of the post, 'k? :)  And, yes, just remembering is enough to get the systemic reaction... nice to know another person with that level of responsiveness to music.

[Writing-wise: I need to 'shut the hell up'... like I said, this thread could single-handedly keep me messed up if I continue to write extensively in it.  But it is so hard not to share about music with like-minded people, since they've been so rare in my life.]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 02:32:19 AM by LucasM »

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
Some of the best CDs I've had are best of compilations.

Can we submit these?  Like the Eagles, Tom Petty and Joan Jett's Fit to Be Tied...these are three of my faves.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Some of the best CDs I've had are best of compilations.

Can we submit these?  Like the Eagles, Tom Petty and Joan Jett's Fit to Be Tied...these are three of my faves.

No. Greatest hits albums aren't really in the spirit of this endeavor. This is for albums that were originally created by the artists, with the overall beginning-to-end listening experience in mind.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!