Poll

Votes for all entries you feel are important enough to deserve a spot on the list. Don't just vote for shit because you like it, and don't just not vote for shit because you don't like it.

A Night at the Opera - Queen
10 (14.3%)
Ten - Pearl Jam
11 (15.7%)
Avalon - Roxy Music
5 (7.1%)
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
7 (10%)
├ćnema - Tool
6 (8.6%)
What A Crying Shame - The Mavericks
2 (2.9%)
Life'll Kill Ya - Warren Zevon
4 (5.7%)
Sailing The Seas Of Cheese - Primus
6 (8.6%)
London Calling - The Clash
11 (15.7%)
Off The Deep End - Weird Al Yakovic
8 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: August 19, 2012, 04:15:28 PM

Author Topic: 100 Albums to Which You Have to Listen, or All Y'all Need to Hear This!!!  (Read 32696 times)

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3787
Re: 100 Albums to Which You Have to Listen, or All Y'all Need to Hear This!!!
« Reply #315 on: August 21, 2012, 07:55:30 PM »
For the next poll, starting sometime soon:

Here, for your listening enjoyment, is the complete album 'Pure' by Golden Palominos [a Bill Laswell bandTM ;)].

Since I'm not functional enough to write something for this album myself [brain too far gone to even write something brief explaining in the RRAARRGGHH! thread], I'll simply copy here the review from AllMusic.com.  I will merely second the "luxuriate in the dark and lovely atmospherics" comment from the review; a better combo of 'dark' and 'lovely' atmospherics I think would be very hard to find. :)  The album can also be enjoyed if one completely ignores the lyrics and thinks of Ms. Carson's voice as another instrument.

If you live in New York, then chances are good that either you or someone you know has once been the Golden Palominos' singer. With Pure it was Lori Carson's turn, and she was just what this occasionally brilliant but frequently unfocused band needed. This is probably the Palominos' first great album (unless you count the group's brilliantly abrasive debut). What's the difference this time? Easy: focus, cogency, and discipline. Also funky, up-to-the-minute beats percolating under Carson's diaphanous vocals and supporting her intelligent (if sometimes overly precious) lyrics. Notice how her unbelievably sexy whisper on "Heaven" rubs up against Bill Laswell's ironclad bass; try not to notice the lyrics on "No Skin" ("This dark and secret crime/Cruelty masked as something kind"), and instead luxuriate in the dark and lovely atmospherics. Very, very nice. That's Bootsy Collins playing rhythm guitar, by the way.

Again, since the album cover (hence the YouTube picture for each tune) is a boob, the entire collection of tunes is spoilered.  NSFW:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3856
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #316 on: August 22, 2012, 09:00:44 AM »
I never got around to voting this time.  Too busy.  Sorry.  I'll try to get into the next one.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1381
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #317 on: August 29, 2012, 09:40:32 AM »
so.........music. Yea
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #318 on: October 24, 2012, 02:51:36 PM »
Ok, I message Barnes about me taking over this thread and he never responded. I miss him

Anyway, what do you guys think of re-starting this thread from the begining with me being in charge (because I have no history of abandoning the forum  ::) ). Anyway, if you guys are interested, I am all for it. If you guys think I should try to contact Barnes on Facebook to get his permission, I can do that too

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 922
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #319 on: October 24, 2012, 04:27:32 PM »
Ok, I message Barnes about me taking over this thread and he never responded. I miss him

Anyway, what do you guys think of re-starting this thread from the begining with me being in charge (because I have no history of abandoning the forum  ::) ). Anyway, if you guys are interested, I am all for it. If you guys think I should try to contact Barnes on Facebook to get his permission, I can do that too

TO HELL WITH BARNES AND HIS FACEBOOK!! :P

Oh, I mean, I'm up for the thread starting back up.....  You'll have to try to take over the poll portion of this thing, unless you plan on a new thread altogethers.

I nominate every album in my music collection.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Starman!

• Liked: 359
« Reply #320 on: October 24, 2012, 05:31:56 PM »
New thread!

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3856
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #321 on: October 24, 2012, 08:02:44 PM »
Sure new thread.  Sounds good.  Do you know how to do all the addition and stuff.  Cause I don't.  I suck at math.

Anyway, that works for me.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #322 on: October 29, 2012, 08:52:19 AM »
Do you know how to do all the addition and stuff.  Cause I don't.  I suck at math.

Clearly, you have never seen one of my List o Crap hosted threads or else you would be well versed that I don't know math.

Ok, I will create a new thread. *Adds to "to-do" list

It should be up later today!