Poll

Votes for all entries you feel are important enough to deserve a spot on the list. Don't just vote for shit because you like it, and don't just not vote for shit because you don't like it.

A Night at the Opera - Queen
10 (14.3%)
Ten - Pearl Jam
11 (15.7%)
Avalon - Roxy Music
5 (7.1%)
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
7 (10%)
├ćnema - Tool
6 (8.6%)
What A Crying Shame - The Mavericks
2 (2.9%)
Life'll Kill Ya - Warren Zevon
4 (5.7%)
Sailing The Seas Of Cheese - Primus
6 (8.6%)
London Calling - The Clash
11 (15.7%)
Off The Deep End - Weird Al Yakovic
8 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: August 19, 2012, 04:15:28 PM

Author Topic: 100 Albums to Which You Have to Listen, or All Y'all Need to Hear This!!!  (Read 41018 times)

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
Ok, I promise not to nominate too many U2 albums. ;)

Ha, I as thinking of nominating this:

Really, it's just a large, box shaped, album, isn't it?  ;D 8)

this is better...

MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2615
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
this is better...

I already had all the full size LPs, so I didn't have a need for the mini-replicas when I decided to get them on CD.

But that is the set to get if you don't have the LPs, so you get all the artwork.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Thoughts on eras or genres you think are going to do well and/or badly here? 
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!

Folk or cultural music, from just about any country.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks

will do badly, I assume you mean. But that's kind of a given because that sort of thing is rarely put into a non-compilation album. For similar reasons, everything '50s and earlier will be at a disadvantage as well.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder

will do badly, I assume you mean. But that's kind of a given because that sort of thing is rarely put into a non-compilation album. For similar reasons, everything '50s and earlier will be at a disadvantage as well.

Yes, will do badly. I should have specified, sorry.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
My first thought was Automatic for the People.  But its already nominated.  Growing up, it was one of the few "current" CDs both me and my mother could enjoy together.  And Everybody Hurts still makes me tear up.

For the next poll I nominate Nevermind by Nirvana.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5118
  • Mr. Robot
I missed out on the movie one, but I'll try not to miss out on this:

My nomination for the next vote:

Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! - DEVO

This is easily the best Devo album of all, as much as I like their other work.  It might not be for all tastes, but it's just fantastic.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks

I've been meaning to buy that for a long time

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
Sorry, I had to delete the poll to change the settings so people can change their votes.

Um... Did you, though? I don't see the button...

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4624

Yes, will do badly. I should have specified, sorry.

I agree with wurwolf and Asbestos Bill on their predictions.

Sadly, I think my two favorite genres will be likely to do poorly: fusion jazz (esp. from the 70s) and what I call 'Westernized World' music (because the simpler label 'world music' includes the straight 'folk or cultural music' too).  'Westernized World' adapts world instruments and 'cultural music' to fit more with Western musical styles like jazz (e.g. most of Bill Laswell's output, AfroCelt Sound System, etc.).

I also think classical will be difficult to get on the list (though not impossible), because there are so many well-done versions of most of the best pieces (I mean really: how many times has Beethoven's 5th or 9th been recorded?  Now try and get any consensus on which is the best of all of them.)

What I think will do better?  More mainstream music prior to internet music access (i.e. anything that could have been had for free on a radio).  Also 'alternative' music, because it too could be found free to listen to (though with a bit more difficulty) and would be more likely to be listened to by others who found pop/light rock not completely to their liking.

[I am going to have to be very careful here, or this thread will keep me malfunctioning, because of my passion for music. :-\ ]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Sorry, I had to delete the poll to change the settings so people can change their votes.

Um... Did you, though? I don't see the button...

It was there yesterday. *sigh*

Well, fuck, whaddya wanna do? How about we declare three winners and carry over the nominations with five and six votes? Of course, who's to say the poll isn't just gonna fuck us again? Goddamit.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:46:19 PM by D.B. Barnes »
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
I think they will be difficult to get on the list but not impossible, depending on how they're presented. I'm not a musicologist, but some of my favorites that I plan on nominating are representative of American music history (as well as being a joy to listen to). I've got a couple of Doc Watson and Frank Sinatra albums in mind, and also someone to represent the big band era (still trying to decide between Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Harry James, Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, and so on). Music like that is important to our history and I'd like to see it remembered.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot

I've been meaning to buy that for a long time

I love it.  I will admit that it isn't their most accessible album but it is artistically their best and most influential.  If you are new to Devo, I'd either recommend Freedom of Choice or their last album Something for Everybody.  Are We Not Men is more stripped down or rather yet to be "overproduced."  But I don't mean overproduced as a bad thing: that's kind of the point since their message is about better tech with less substance.  Something for Everyone probably has my favourite use of auto-tuning (and it is heavily that) outside of Adventure Time.  You don't have to even pay attention to the messages of the songs to enjoy them, since they all have neat time signatures and hooks.

Best songs from Are We Not Men? would include Space Junk, Gut Feeling, Uncontrollable Urge and Mongoloid.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
I think they will be difficult to get on the list but not impossible, depending on how they're presented. I'm not a musicologist, but some of my favorites that I plan on nominating are representative of American music history (as well as being a joy to listen to). I've got a couple of Doc Watson and Frank Sinatra albums in mind, and also someone to represent the big band era (still trying to decide between Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Harry James, Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, and so on). Music like that is important to our history and I'd like to see it remembered.

Though I admit I probably wouldn't vote for them due to my ignorance, I am in favour of that.