Author Topic: ¿So, what did we aprender?  (Read 5701 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: ¿So, what did we aprender?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 03:44:11 PM »
The chances of picking up a thousand page book and, without consulting an index or table of contents, opening it to the exact page you wanted; higher than one might expect.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 301
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 04:34:50 PM »
I learned that it's possible to kill your main heroine off twice in the same movie (really, did anyone else think it was her getting offed in that bar?)

I learned that no one questions the sudden appearance of a Baron in Mexico City in 1961 and gladly accepts his invitation to dinner despite his general creepiness.

I also learned that it's fun to look at things. Go ahead, look! It's fun!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:36:27 PM by losingmydignity »

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 06:14:16 PM »
I learned that there are hyper-dimensional telescope observatories located inside large matte photos representing them.

Also, Mexicans have no genetic drift. With the exception of the rare gender change, descendants look exactly as their ancestors did.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 06:37:19 PM by Lembach »

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 301
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 07:55:08 PM »
I learned that there are hyper-dimensional telescope observatories located inside large matte photos representing them.

Also, Mexicans have no genetic drift. With the exception of the rare gender change, descendants look exactly as their ancestors did.

I don't think those were mattes. I think they actually were standing in front a big big blown up photo.

Now I'm going to go imagine a beard on my girlfriend...

Arrggghghghghghh!!!!!

Offline LuvBJones

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 43
  • Dairy Council took my thumbs
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 11:05:36 PM »
I learned that no one questions the sudden appearance of a Baron in Mexico City in 1961 and gladly accepts his invitation to dinner despite his general creepiness.

Dammit, honey! It's The Baron! How many Barons are going to invite us to their parties and suck out our brains??? Sometimes I think you don't WANT me to have nice friends!!! *WAAAAHHAAAA*
WARNING: In case of Rapture, this dance belt will be unoccupied.

Offline monoceros4

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 09:54:23 PM »
I learned that one can fit an incredible amount of text onto a scroll overwritten with maybe eight lines of very large calligraphy.

I learned that when you hypnotize someone with your mesmeric gaze, someone flashes a light in your face.

I learned also that the sixth or seventh repetition of such a hypnotism scene isn't any more interesting than the first one.

I learned that the Sagittarius Star Cloud, which is about 2 degrees of arc long, fits very comfortably in the field of a large telescope, while the Whirlpool Galaxy, less than a tenth the size, fills the entire view.

I also learned that the Sagittarius Star Cloud, the Whirlpool Galaxy, the Orion Nebula, and the Veil Nebula are all in roughly the same part of the sky.

I learned that even if you've got a reasonable photo of an actual comet in your photo library you should preferably use a horribly drawn and horribly blurry animation of a fake comet. A film clip of a sparkler will also serve.

Offline LuvBJones

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 43
  • Dairy Council took my thumbs
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 10:35:01 PM »

I learned that the Sagittarius Star Cloud, which is about 2 degrees of arc long, fits very comfortably in the field of a large telescope, while the Whirlpool Galaxy, less than a tenth the size, fills the entire view.

I also learned that the Sagittarius Star Cloud, the Whirlpool Galaxy, the Orion Nebula, and the Veil Nebula are all in roughly the same part of the sky.

You're a scientist, aren't you? Rrrrrowrrrr! :D
WARNING: In case of Rapture, this dance belt will be unoccupied.

Offline monoceros4

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 10:27:01 AM »
You're a scientist, aren't you? Rrrrrowrrrr! :D

A bit, a bit. :p I'm actually a chemist by training but I used to do a bit of amateur astronomy. Then I moved to Seattle and that was the end of that. :(

Offline MightyBombJack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 171
  • Your weapons will have no effect on me
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 10:38:48 PM »
The Spanish Inquisition puts Pope hats on the heretics they are going to burn alive. I did not expect that.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!....to put Pope hats on heretics.

I'm not quite sure what the deal with that is, but Candide does have a scene in which mitres are part of the costume that heretics wear when they're being burned at the stake by the Inquisition in Portugal:

http://www.bartleby.com/194/6.html

Also, a little random funfact: the director of Brainiac played a Mexican villager in Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch (and directed 116 other movies!):

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0882190/?ref_=fn_nm_nm_1#actor
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 10:45:24 PM by MightyBombJack »