login

Author Topic: Geico Cavemen Get Their Own TV Show?!  (Read 14169 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Geico Cavemen Get Their Own TV Show?!
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 09:57:58 AM »
Yeah, but Wilma and Fred weren't designed to sell the cigarettes they were peddling. I can accept ads IN entertainment, just not ads AS entertainment. :^)

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 10:00:53 AM »
Yeah, but Wilma and Fred weren't designed to sell the cigarettes they were peddling. I can accept ads IN entertainment, just not ads AS entertainment. :^)

Well what about when Reese's pieces were in ET? Huh? Sounds like product placement to me, man.  :speechless:

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 10:10:48 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ie5i7dmxdFI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ie5i7dmxdFI</a>

Again, ET wasn't created to sell Reece's Pieces. :^)

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 10:27:12 AM »
Quote from: Sharktopus
Not since the last SNL sketch-turned movie has a stupider concept been extended this far beyond its means.

Actually... didn't SNL already do this concept with  Phil Hartman as Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer?

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and was later thawed by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me!"

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 10:38:50 AM »
The ONLY way that even the last shred of hope for humanity in general can be spared from this is if they never plug Geico. When the line between entertainment and advertisement becomes THAT blurred, humanity is doomed.

Oh there's no way in hell they'd center the show around the three Cavemen's plight to seek revenge from Geico for their misdeeds. It's just the concept, and hopefully the same type of humour present in the commercials themselves.

I don't think anyone could handle an actual TV series as one big advertisement for Geico. And I also hope the show isn't just a reason to play the same Geico commercials non-stop during every commercial break!   :speechless:

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 11:01:14 AM »
I keep forgetting that you guys are (for the most part) too young to remember a show like It's About Time. It never made it to syndication, but trust me, it was the Gilligan's Island of caveman-themed sitcoms!  ;D
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 02:51:46 PM »
like the mars and tyco chocotastic robotic toy hour?

seriously no one got the simpson reference?

I cant beleive this thread is real its just too stupid. 

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 03:00:54 PM »
I got it. Just wasn't sure what to do with it. :^)

• Compsognathus
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2007, 03:02:35 PM »
its weird that something that was basically a joke on the simpsons (and one i thought that was pretty far fetched) is now gonna be a show, and not just a kids show but a show for adults 

Big WTF

Offline Moose

• Schnappi Supporter
  • I'm the wind, baby!
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2007, 03:31:57 PM »
When the line between entertainment and advertisement becomes THAT blurred, humanity is doomed.

I can accept ads IN entertainment, just not ads AS entertainment. :^)

its weird that something that was basically a joke on the simpsons (and one i thought that was pretty far fetched) is now gonna be a show, and not just a kids show but a show for adults 

ermmmm......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers:_Generation_1

• Compsognathus
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »

Offline Moose

• Schnappi Supporter
  • I'm the wind, baby!
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2007, 03:50:51 PM »
I dunno, that's kind of a Tron moment. The toys and cartoon both supported each other, according to that article the toys were just released the christmas before the show began airing...

(Elaboration - There was a trivia question on a video games tv show a while back that asked what the first game based on a film was, which was apparently Batman, but I insisted it was Tron. Aparrently, Tron doesn't count because the movie & game were based on each other and released together, whereas Batman was literally based on the film.)

... whereas Takara were doing the TF toyline since 1980, and it was only in 1984 that Hasbro bought the rights to them and made a cartoon around them. So the toys definately came first, there.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 03:52:32 PM by MightyMoose22 »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2007, 04:14:45 PM »
The '80s toons teetered CLOSE to what I'm describing, but weren't actively trying to sell the toys. They just gave the toys a backdrop.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2007, 04:18:10 PM »
- There was a trivia question on a video games tv show a while back that asked what the first game based on a film was, which was apparently Batman, but I insisted it was Tron. Aparrently, Tron doesn't count because the movie & game were based on each other and released together, whereas Batman was literally based on the film.)
actually wouldnt it be ET?

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2007, 04:24:03 PM »
I am sure this is all a joke........... at least, I hope so.

Finished watching a Netflix disc of the cancelled Fox show "Keen Eddie" the other day, then I see this tread.   I am going to lay down until the pain and voices in my head stop.