Author Topic: List of Crap 61: Top 50 Fictional Species/Races Countdown  (Read 55221 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6146
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: List of Crap 61: Top 50 Fictional Species/Races Countdown
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2012, 04:47:07 PM »
15. Werewolf
Top Vote #1 by Wurwolf

That is absolutely fascinating.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2012, 05:12:42 PM »
Don't forget Jacobs, he's by far the most credible representative of the werewolves.

Please. That slot goes to Scott Howard:

Invader_quirk

« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2012, 05:15:50 PM »
Darth Geek, I'm preeetty sure you've failed me for the last time... I don't think my number 1 is going to make it.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2012, 05:20:21 PM »
Darth Geek, I'm preeetty sure you've failed me for the last time... I don't think my number 1 is going to make it.
Probably. But what specifically are you talking about?

EDIT: Actually, if you are talking about what I think you are...yeah I failed you for the last time.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:23:07 PM by Darth Geek »

Invader_quirk

« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2012, 05:24:05 PM »
I fear I'll be destroyed if I bring up what's on my list. We'll see, Darth Geek. We'll see...

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »
I fear I'll be destroyed if I bring up what's on my list. We'll see, Darth Geek. We'll see...
Yesss. Yes we will see, won't we. Mwahahaha...wait, you were threatening me...why am I laughing...

Invader_quirk

« Reply #171 on: July 01, 2012, 05:27:47 PM »
Yesss. Yes we will see, won't we. Mwahahaha...wait, you were threatening me...why am I laughing...

Just go with it. It's funny!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5613
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2012, 05:28:11 PM »
14. Ent
(86 points, on 5 of 23 lists - Top Vote #4 by Therul)

Genus: Homo Arboris

Ents are a race of beings in J. R. R. Tolkien's fantasy world Middle-earth who closely resemble trees. They are similar to the talking trees in folklore around the world. Their name is derived from the Anglo-Saxon word for giant.

The Ents appear in The Lord of the Rings as ancient shepherds of the forest and allies of the Free Peoples of Middle-earth during theWar of the Ring. The Ent who figures most prominently in the book is Treebeard, one of the oldest creatures in Tolkien's world. At the time The Lord of the Rings takes place, there are no young Ents (Entings) because the Entwives (female Ents) were lost. The Ents are akin to Huorns, whom Treebeard describes as trees that have become animated or, conversely, as Ents who have grown more "treeish" over time.

Inspired by Tolkien and similar traditions, animated or anthropomorphic tree creatures appear in a variety of media and works of fantasy.

Notable representatives:
Treebeard, Finglas, Fladrif

For the Dar-Win!
with your host, Charles Darwin

Generally speaking trees are passive and have no true defense beyond enduring.  However, only the Ents and the Mexican Fighting Trees have the ability to defend themselves from being harvested for wood.  Also, if you can ever get your hands on ent wood, use it to smoke hams.  Even better than applewood (which is also sentient, but sadly immobile).

Russell

« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2012, 05:35:08 PM »
14. Ent
(86 points, on 5 of 23 lists - Top Vote #4 by Therul)

Genus: Homo Arboris

Ents are a race of beings in J. R. R. Tolkien's fantasy world Middle-earth who closely resemble trees. They are similar to the talking trees in folklore around the world. Their name is derived from the Anglo-Saxon word for giant.

The Ents appear in The Lord of the Rings as ancient shepherds of the forest and allies of the Free Peoples of Middle-earth during theWar of the Ring. The Ent who figures most prominently in the book is Treebeard, one of the oldest creatures in Tolkien's world. At the time The Lord of the Rings takes place, there are no young Ents (Entings) because the Entwives (female Ents) were lost. The Ents are akin to Huorns, whom Treebeard describes as trees that have become animated or, conversely, as Ents who have grown more "treeish" over time.

Inspired by Tolkien and similar traditions, animated or anthropomorphic tree creatures appear in a variety of media and works of fantasy.

Notable representatives:
Treebeard, Finglas, Fladrif

For the Dar-Win!

Generally speaking trees are passive and have no true defense beyond enduring.  However, only the Ents and the Mexican Fighting Trees have the ability to defend themselves from being harvested for wood.  Also, if you can ever get your hands on ent wood, use it to smoke hams.  Even better than applewood (which is also sentient, but sadly immobile).
I think it goes without saying but the point of the Ents is moot! :D

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3530
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2012, 05:44:49 PM »
Naw, the Moot Ents were #28.

Russell

« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2012, 05:59:08 PM »
I don't get it Pak. Oh, I get it now, nevermind.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #176 on: July 01, 2012, 06:53:23 PM »

Heyyyyy. I get it nowww.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #177 on: July 01, 2012, 07:08:40 PM »
13. Irken
(91 points, on 5 of 23 lists - Top Vote #1 by Invader Quirk)

Genus: Irk Pestis

The Irkens are an imperialistic race of green-skinned humanoids from the planet Irk . The basic goal of the Irken race is total universal conquest. They mostly attain this feat with the aid of the Massive, the flagship of their military and personal vessel of the Almighty Tallest, which aids in planetary destruction via a sort of final attack called the Organic Sweep.

The Irkens institute the Organic sweep when one of their own, an Irken Invader, has successfully infiltrated and taken over a planet they intend to conquer, in order to let the rest of the universe know that planet is now Irken territory. The intelligent inhabitants of the planet seem to be forced to work as slaves while unintelligent inhabitants are simply killed off. The planet is then given a single purpose. For example, Foodcourtia became an intergalactic food court, the planet Vort became Irk's top military research prison, and Blorch became a parking structure planet.

Notable representatives:
Zim, the Almighty Tallests

For the Dar-Win!

If they ever conquer Earth, I really hope they don’t turn it into a strip mall.  I just don’t like them.

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 312
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #178 on: July 01, 2012, 07:33:52 PM »
15. Werewolf
(84 points, on 6 of 23 lists - Top Vote #1 by Wurwolf)

Um, I thought this list was for FICTIONAL species. I don't chain myself to the radiator for three nights every month for NOTHING.
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My touring group! www.themeparkimprov.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #179 on: July 01, 2012, 07:37:43 PM »
12. Predator
(92 points, on 7 of 23 lists - Top Vote #7 by DB Barnes)

Genus: Jager Sapien

The Predator is a fictional extraterrestrial species featured in the Predator science-fiction franchise, characterised by its trophy huntingof other dangerous species for sport. First introduced in 1987 as the main antagonist of the film Predator, the Predator creatures returned in the sequels Predator 2 (1990), and Predators (2010), as well as an appearance in the cross-over series, "Aliens vs. Predator" in the films Alien vs. Predator (2004), and Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007).

The Predators have also been the subject of numerous novels, video games, and comic books, both on their own and as part of the Alien vs. Predator crossover imprint. While a definitive name for the species is not given in the films, the names yautja and Hish have been alternatively used in the expanded universe. Created by brothers Jim and John Thomas, the Predators are depicted as large, sapient and sentient humanoid creatures who possess advanced technology, such as active camouflage and energy weapons, and are capable of interstellar travel.

Predators are physically distinguished from humans by their greater height, arthropod-like mandibles and long, hair-like appendages on their heads that are set into their skulls. Their bodies are resilient to damage, capable of recovering from multiple gunshot wounds and radiation doses which would be fatal to humans. They are much stronger than humans, having been portrayed as being easily capable of outmatching a conditioned adult human male and shattering solid concrete with their bare hands. They are also skilled climbers, and will readily move through trees or across rooftops in pursuit of prey. Though capable of surviving exposure in Antarctic temperatures for an extended period of time, it is implied that Predators have a preference for hot equatorial climates. Their blood is luminescent phosphor green in color. Their vision operates mainly in the infrared portion of the electromagnetic spectrum; they can easily detect heat differentials in their surroundings but are unable to easily distinguish among objects of the same relative temperature. A Predator's hunting helmet increases its ability to see in a variety of spectrums, ranging from the low infrared to the high ultraviolet, and also filters the ambient heat from the area, allowing them to see things with greater clarity and detail. While they are capable of breathing Earth's atmosphere, the creature in Predator 2 is seen using a breathing mask after losing his helmet. Their dietary habits are also mentioned in Predator 2, where it is revealed that the creature regularly visits a slaughterhouse every two days to feed on the stored meat there.

Throughout their film appearances, Predators have undergone numerous design variations. In Predator 2, the main Predator was designed to look more urban and hip than its predecessor. Design changes included tribal ornamentation on the forehead, which was made steeper and shallower, brighter skin coloration and a greater number of fangs. In Alien vs. Predator, the appearance of the Predators was redesigned to make them seem more heroic. Redesigns included a reduction in head and waist size, broader shoulders, a more muscular physique, piranha-like teeth on the upper jaw and dryer, less clammy skin to further differentiate them from the Aliens. In Aliens vs Predator: Requiem, the Predator was returned to the sleeker design concept prior to Alien vs. Predator. For the so called "Black Super Predators" in Predators, the designers used the differences between a cassette tape and an iPod as an analogy in differentiating the new Predators from the classic. The Super Predators were designed as leaner and taller than the "classic" Predator design, with longer faces, tighter armor and with more swept back dreadlocks.

Notable representatives:
Predator, Falconer Predator, Berserker Predator

For the Dar-Win!

With their entire society seemingly based around hunting, it seems that their day to day routines and activities are a mystery.  Why are they shy about letting us know what they do in the morning, what their work schedule is like and what they are doing when they’re not on hunting trips.  My guess?  More hunting.