Author Topic: List of Crap 61: Top 50 Fictional Species/Races Countdown  (Read 56466 times)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
Re: List of Crap 61: Top 50 Fictional Species/Races Countdown
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2012, 06:28:59 PM »
22. Pikmin
(67 points, on 3 of 23 lists - Top Vote #2 by Asbestos Bill)

For the Dar-Win!
with your host, Charles Darwin

Born to be slaves, this species might be the most tragic on the list as they will never rise above indentured servitude to an interplanetary conqueror.

You obviously never beat the game, "Dar-FAIL."

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2012, 07:09:01 PM »

21. Smurf
(69 points, on 4 of 23 lists - Top Vote #1 by Mrs Dick Courier & Therul)

Genus: Smurf

The Smurfs (French: Les Schtroumpfs) is a Belgian comic and television franchise centered on a group of small blue fictional creatures called Smurfs, created and first introduced as a series of comic strips by the Belgian cartoonist Peyo (pen name of Pierre Culliford) on October 23, 1958. The original term and the accompanying language came during a meal Peyo was having with his colleague and friend André Franquin at the Belgian Coast. Having momentarily forgotten the word "salt", Peyo asked him (in French) to pass the schtroumpf. Franquin jokingly replied: "Here's the Schtroumpf—when you are done schtroumpfing, schtroumpfit back..." and the two spent the rest of that weekend speaking in "schtroumpf language". The name was later translated into Dutch as Smurf, which was adopted in English.

The storylines tend to be simple tales of bold adventure. The cast has a simple structure as well: almost all the characters look essentially alike—mostly male (there are three female Smurfs: Smurfette, Sassette, and Nanny Smurf), short (3 apples high), with blue skin, white trousers with a hole for their short tails, white hat in the style of a Phrygian cap, and sometimes some additional accessory that identifies a personality (for example, "Handy" Smurf wears overalls instead of the standard trousers, a brimmed hat, and a pencil above his ear). Smurfs can walk and run, but often move by skipping on both feet. They love to eat sarsaparilla (a species of Smilax) leaves, whose berries the Smurfs naturally call "smurfberries" (the smurfberries appear only in the cartoon; in the original comics, the Smurfs only eat the leaves from the sarsaparilla).

The Smurfs fulfill simple archetypes of everyday people: Lazy Smurf, Grouchy Smurf,  Brainy Smurf, and so on. All Smurfs, with the exception of Papa, Baby, Smurfette, Nanny and Grandpa, are said to be 100 years old. There were originally 99 Smurfs, but this number increased as new Smurf characters appeared, such as Sassette and Nanny. All of the original Smurfs were male; later female additions are Smurfette and Sassette - Smurfette being Gargamel's creation, while Sassette was created by the Smurflings.

Notable representatives:
Papa Smurf, Smurfette, Brainy Smurf, No'-As-Big-As-Medium-Sized-Smurf-But-Bigger-than-Wee-Smurf Smurf

For the Dar-Win!

I always suspected that those hats and pants where organic membranes.  Anyone with me on that?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 09:12:45 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2012, 07:22:53 PM »
26. Gremlins
(62 points, on 4 of 23 lists - Top Vote #5 by Darth Geek)

Notable representatives:   
Stripe, Mohawk, Bounce Bounce, and the Claw

Also wasn't that one harrassing Bill Shatner's plane in that one episode of Twilight Zone (John Lithgow in the movie version) considered a gremlin? 
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6339
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #138 on: June 30, 2012, 07:31:01 PM »
26. Gremlins
(62 points, on 4 of 23 lists - Top Vote #5 by Darth Geek)

Notable representatives:   
Stripe, Mohawk, Bounce Bounce, and the Claw

Also wasn't that one harrassing Bill Shatner's plane in that one episode of Twilight Zone (John Lithgow in the movie version) considered a gremlin? 
Yes. Although I don't think it's named.

MontyServo

« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2012, 07:35:53 PM »
21. Smurf
(69 points, on 4 of 23 lists - Top Vote #1 by Mrs Dick Courier & Therul)

Well, I had these on my list obviously.  #9 to be exact.  That Smurfette is a cutie.  :P

Now I am thinking my #1 is not gonna make it, despite being the title character species of one of the greatest video games ever made.  Tsk tsk.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #140 on: June 30, 2012, 07:44:32 PM »
Tralfamadorians, noooo! I forgot all about them. :(
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2012, 05:53:43 AM »
20. Borg
(73 points, on 7 of 23 lists - Top Vote #9 by DB Barnes & Gunflyer)

Genus: N/A

A Borg is a collective proper noun for a fictional group of people in the productions of Star Trek series. The Borg are a collection of species that have turned into cybernetic organisms functioning as drones of the collective the hive, pseudo-race, dwelling in the Star Trek universe. The Borg take other species by force into the collective and connect them to "the hive mind"; the act is called assimilation entails violence, abductions, and injections of cybernetic implants. The Borg's ultimate goal is "achieving perfection".

Though Borg rarely look alike, they share several common characteristics. Borg commonly have one eye (most often the left eye) replaced with a sophisticated ocular implant which allows them to see beyond the human visual spectrum. This implant usually projects a red laser beam, particularly in later appearances. They also usually have one arm replaced with a multi-purpose tool and flat white skin, giving them an almost zombie-like appearance. This skin was originally dry and human-looking, but it later had a more "slick" look to it, with veins showing.

The most important cybernetic component of any Borg is their "cortical node", which controls every other implanted "fixed location" cybernetic device within a Borg's body, and is most often implanted in the forehead above the usually-retained organic right eye. If the cortical node fails, the afflicted individual Borg eventually dies, as it cannot be replicated or repaired. However, successful replacement of the node can be carried out on a Borg vessel if the failure is detected promptly before the afflicted Borg's impending death.

Notable representatives:
1 of 12, 2 of 12, 3 of 12, 4 of 14, 5 of 12, 6 of 12, 7 of 12, 8 of 12, 9 of 12, 10 of 12, 11 of 12, 12 of 12

For the Dar-Win!

I’m not alone in thinking that the Borg Queen was a really dumb idea, right?  Don’t get me wrong, I liked First Contact but… that seems wrong to the spirit of the thing.  Which is funny, because the spirit of the thing is to destroy your spirit.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2012, 06:00:46 AM »
20. Borg

Notable representatives:

7 of 9!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2012, 06:16:23 AM »
20. Borg

Notable representatives:

7 of 9!

Thanks, I forgot when Voyager went from bad to stupid.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7213
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2012, 06:17:17 AM »

hugh!
dF = 0
d*F = J

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2012, 06:21:25 AM »

hugh!

Umm... what was that sound you just made?  Oh, the NAME Hugh.  Please use capitals.  Otherwise it sounds like inappropriate grunting.  Actually, one of the reasons I didn't include those guys (OK, Hugh I didn't think of because I didn't see the "I, Borg" episode), is because I think the Borg are more interesting when they completely lack individualism.  That's when they are scarier.  Come to think of it, why was Picard lucky enough to become Locutus (sp?) rather #62?  It's been a long time since I've seen it and I don't know math, but anyone got an answer for that one?

Online ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1461
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2012, 06:32:24 AM »
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2012, 06:35:59 AM »
20. Borg

Notable representatives:

7 of 9!

Thanks, I forgot when Voyager went from bad to stupid sexy.

What, this wasn't enough for you?

Also, I like the fact that the sexy character comes from a race that looks like a corpse with a fax machine stapled to it.

MontyServo

« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2012, 06:40:14 AM »
Also, I like the fact that the sexy character comes from a race that looks like a corpse with a fax machine stapled to it.

I'd like to check to make sure she has a dial tone and plenty of paper, if you know what I mean!  I'd like to get a confirmation page from that! Nudge nudge!   :o

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2012, 07:00:28 AM »

;D I love how uncomfortable his smile is.