Author Topic: List of Crap 61: Top 50 Fictional Species/Races Countdown  (Read 56143 times)

Johnny Unusual

Re: List of Crap 61: Top 50 Fictional Species/Races Countdown
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2012, 09:31:01 PM »
if you had 25, and i had 25, and monty had 25, then q should have 63 points. ???
I'm sure JohnnyUnusual will sort it out. If he wants to that is. Can't exactly force him or anything. :P

64 Actually.  I'll fix it tomorrow.  Sorry, for some reason it kept getting missed when I did the word search (not easy doing a word search for just one letter.  And BTW, please try to spell things correctly, it makes it easier for me.  Some things make sense, but on the last list I ran, I was handed "Caviln and Hobs".  Not helpful.

Anyhoo, sorry for the mistake.  Fix it soon.   

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2012, 09:36:26 PM »
42. Lombax
(432 points, on 2 of 23 lists - Top Vote #3 by Wurwulf)

Genus: Lemur Technica
A Lombax was a bipedal, humanoid species that originated in thePolaris Galaxy from the planet of Fastoon. Known throughout the galaxy for their mechanical and technological ingenuity, Lombaxes were cat-like and completely covered in either yellow or white velvety fur, with orange or maroon coloured stripes running down parts of their body. They had large ears and triangular feet with three claws on each foot, as well as large hands with five fingers. All known Lombaxes wore gloves, so it was possible that generally most Lombaxes wore gloves. According to a news broadcast in A Crack in Time, female Lombaxes did not have tails, as evident with Angela Cross.
Ratchet, Angela Cross and Alister Azimuth were the last known surviving Lombaxes in the dimension after the existing Lombaxes fled to another dimension in order to avoid being destroyed by Percival Tachyon. Many others were killed in the conflict trying to escape as well. Lombaxes had an innate affinity towards gadgetry and machinery. The Wrench appears to be a traditional Lombax melee weapon.

Notable representatives:
Rachet, Alister Azimuth, Angela Cross

For the Dar-Win!
with your host, Charles Darwin

Though an endangered race, the lombaxes manages to be a race destined to survive at least a few more generations by using their technological prowess to allow races and cultures to progress at a more rapid pace than they would otherwise.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2012, 09:44:23 PM »
41. Catbus
(45 points, on 2 of 23 lists - Top Vote #3 by Asbestos Bill)

Genus: Felis Exactchangeonly

The Catbus (AKA Nekobasu) is a character in the Studio Ghibli film My Neighbor Totoro, directed by Hayao Miyazaki. It is a large creature, depicted as a grinning male cat with a hollow body that serves as a bus, complete with windows and seats coated with fur, and a large bushy tail. The character's popularity has led to its use in a spinoff film, toys for children, an art car, and being featured in a museum, among other products and influences.

A door magically appears when a person would like to board it to travel. With its multiple caterpillar-like legs, it runs, flies, bounces, and hops across forests and lakes to reach its destination, making whole rice fields sway in its wake. Its eyes shine a yellow light brightly like headlamps to guide it. Mice with glowing eyes suspended next to its destination sign on its forehead and from its rear serve as tail lights. It is visibly male.

With its large elongated smile and its ability to appear and disappear at will, the Catbus is reminiscent of the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland. Often used to transport Totoros, in the film it makes an exception to help O-Totoro, the main Totoro, who is also the biggest. O-Totoro calls the Catbus and asks it to help Satsuki find her lost sister Mei. As Satsuki boards it, its destination sign changes to "Mei." After the sisters are reunited, the Catbus volunteers to whisk Mei and Satsuki over the countryside to see their hospitalized mother. After Satsuki and Mei return home, the Catbus finally leaves them, its body fading into the evening shadows.

Notable representatives:
Catbus, Kittenbus, and the XXX rated Pussybus starring Ron Jeremy.

For the Dar-Win!

Gah!  Kill it!  Kill it now!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:17:07 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2012, 09:45:01 PM »
Sorry for the delay and error and have a good night.  5 more tomorrow.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2012, 09:58:01 PM »
And BTW, please try to spell things correctly, it makes it easier for me.  Some things make sense, but on the last list I ran, I was handed "Caviln and Hobs".  Not helpful.

Actually, Caviln and Hobs is the cheap Bulgarian live-action knockoff, which shouldn't even have qualified for the list in the first place.

It's a good thing the real Calvin and Hobbes won by so many points, else a recalculation be in order.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2012, 12:14:44 AM »
Catbus is an interesting example, in that I would've included it on my list, but I was hesitant when it came to things wherein we only ever saw one, and it was more a one-off creature then an actual race or species. This isn't favorite non-human characters, after all.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2012, 04:54:15 AM »
I was surprised to see Catbus because I thought it was one of a kind, but I'm not complaining. I love My Neighbor Totoro!

Notable representatives:
Catbus, Kittenbus, and the XXX rated Pussybus starring Ron Jeremy.

Also, Ratchet and Angela need to get together and make a bunch of Lombax babies for the good of the species.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2012, 06:36:32 AM »
Yeah, the voters admitted that it barely comes up, but there is acknowledgement of more in the short film Kittenbus.

For 2 months I've been looking after my cousin's kitten, but I never thought "I'd like to hollow this out and ride around in it".  Which is odd, since I think that about most things.

If Cronenberg ever gets back into body horror, he needs to do "Manbus" which comments on man's unhealthy dependence on mass transit.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 09:01:15 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2012, 08:51:56 AM »
Catbus is an interesting example, in that I would've included it on my list, but I was hesitant when it came to things wherein we only ever saw one, and it was more a one-off creature then an actual race or species. This isn't favorite non-human characters, after all.

Keyword being "we," as in "Americans." There was a special in Japan all about catbusses, or rather kittenbusses. There are hundreds, if not thousands of the things.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2012, 09:02:42 AM »

Keyword being "we," as in "Americans." There was a special in Japan all about catbusses, or rather kittenbusses. There are hundreds, if not thousands of the things.

That sounds terrifying.  Though frankly, thousands of any animal in a given location is kind of creepy.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2012, 09:33:16 AM »

That sounds terrifying.  Though frankly, thousands of any animal in a given location is kind of creepy.

Terrifyingly adorable, you mean.

But yeah, I had no idea of such a short. Very cool, I'll have to track it down.

Offline CJones

• Liked: 944
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2012, 11:48:06 AM »

I had Audry II on my list initially, but I took it off because you only see more than one in the original ending, not the one that was used. Kinda wish I had left it now. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6309
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2012, 11:51:40 AM »

I had Audry II on my list initially, but I took it off because you only see more than one in the original ending, not the one that was used. Kinda wish I had left it now. 
Also, she is clearly an alien, and there is no indication that she is one of a kind in the universe. Had I remembered her, I might have put her on my list.

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2012, 12:15:24 PM »
Balls, I'm mad I forgot all about Totoro.  Of all the Ghibli movies, I definitely would have put him on my list.  Maybe those coal soot thingies from Spirited Away also.
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2012, 07:08:18 PM »
40. Pequenino
(45 points, on 2 of 23 lists - Top Vote #2 by Coragale)

Genus: Sus Sequioa
The Pequeninos (Portuguese for "little ones"), or piggies, are a fictional alien species in the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card. They are first introduced in the book Speaker for the Dead. The Pequeninos are written as forest-dwelling and technologically primitive, but incredibly intelligent, able to learn languages extremely quickly. They were given the nickname "piggy" by the colonists of the planet Lusitania due to their pig-like appearance.

It was learned at the end of Speaker for the Dead that the pequeninos exhibit an extreme case of sexual dimorphism, a form of paedogenesis, and the unique plant/animal symbiosis that characterizes all life on their native planet of Lusitania. Taking this symbiosis to the extreme, pequeninos actually metamorphize from animal to plant. This interesting combination evolved in response to the virus known as the descolada.

It is important to note that the pequeninos have their own language and that the terms used below to describe their social and reproductive structures are thus bastardizations of human terms. Because the human terms (i.e. wife, brother, etc.) pertain specifically to the human reproductive structure, applying them to a different structure, such as that of the pequeninos, strains them a bit.

Notable representatives:
Rooter, Mandachuva, Leaf Eater

For the Dar-Win!

A rare case of an animal that is also a plant (planimal) and crosses the line between the two.  But a subtler adaptation I find interesting is it’s linguistic adaptability, as though there are many animals that have complex languages or can mimic sounds, there are few that I know of that are natural diplomats, meaning that they might have a greater skill for allying themselves with more advanced races and reaping their benefits in another symbiotic relationship.