Author Topic: List of Crap 61: Top 50 Fictional Species/Races Countdown  (Read 58100 times)

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
Re: List of Crap 61: Top 50 Fictional Species/Races Countdown
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2012, 12:35:29 PM »
Only two votes for the friggin awesome Pegasus?  Shame on you people! 

They fart rainbows for goodness sakes...

Also they poop cupcakes.
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2012, 01:30:16 PM »
45. Fairy
(40 points, on 5 of 23 lists - Top Vote #5 by Johnny Unusual)

Genus: Danaus Mystica
A fairy (also faery, faerie, fay, fae; euphemistically wee folk, good folk, people of peace, fair folk, etc.) is a type of mythicalbeing or legendary creature, a form of spirit, often described as metaphysical, supernatural or preternatural.

Fairies resemble various beings of other mythologies, though even folklore that uses the term fairy offers many definitions. Sometimes the term describes any magical creature, including goblins or gnomes: at other times, the term only describes a specific type of more ethereal creature.

Fairies are generally described as human in appearance and having magical powers. Their origins are less clear in the folklore, being variously dead, or some form of demon, or a species completely independent of humans or angels. Folklorists have suggested that their actual origin lies in a conquered race living in hiding, or in religious beliefs that lost currency with the advent of Christianity. These explanations are not necessarily incompatible, and they may be traceable to multiple sources.

Much of the folklore about fairies revolves around protection from their malice, by such means as cold iron (iron is like poison to fairies, and they will not go near it) or charms ofrowan and herbs, or avoiding offense by shunning locations known to be theirs. In particular, folklore describes how to prevent the fairies from stealing babies and substituting changelings, and abducting older people as well. Many folktales are told of fairies, and they appear as characters in stories from medieval tales of chivalry, to Victorian fairy tales, and up to the present day in modern literature.

In his manuscript, The Secret Commonwealth of Elves, Fauns and Fairies, Reverend Robert Kirk, minister of the Parish of Aberfoyle, Stirling, Scotland, wrote in 1691:

“These Siths or Fairies they call Sleagh Maith or the Good People...are said to be of middle nature between Man and Angel, as were Daemons thought to be of old; of intelligent fluidous Spirits, and light changeable bodies (lyke those called Astral) somewhat of the nature of a condensed cloud, and best seen in twilight. These bodies be so pliable through the sublety of Spirits that agitate them, that they can make them appear or disappear at pleasure.”

Although in modern culture they are often depicted as young, sometimes winged, humanoids of small stature, they originally were depicted quite differently: tall, radiant, angelic beings or short, wizened trolls being two of the commonly mentioned forms. Diminutive fairies of one kind or another have been recorded for centuries, but occur alongside the human-sized beings; these have been depicted as ranging in size from very tiny up to the size of a human child. Even with these small fairies, however, their small size may be magically assumed rather than constant.

Wings, while common in Victorian and later artwork of fairies, are very rare in the folklore; even very small fairies flew with magic, sometimes flying on ragwort stems or the backs of birds. Nowadays, fairies are often depicted with ordinary insect wings or butterfly wings.

Various animals have also been described as fairies. Sometimes this is the result of shape shifting on part of the fairy, as in the case of the selkie (seal people); others, like the kelpie and various black dogs, appear to stay more constant in form.

Notable representatives:
Puck, Oberon, Titania, the “duh-duh-DUH-DUH” fairy from the legend of Zelda

For the Dar-Win!
with your host, Charles Darwin

Interestingly, this is one of the examples of adaptation and variety within a single species.  This is not entirely uncommon in fictional creatures, but while they have physical differences, they seem to share certain behavioural patterns, particularly tricking and cursing people with alarming regularity, symbolizing the cruel and wild nature of the natural worlds.

Or maybe they’re just girls with wings.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6577
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2012, 01:34:18 PM »

Notable representatives:

She's a fairy?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2012, 01:35:34 PM »
So were any of mine included in that?

Russell

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2012, 01:38:53 PM »
The Ewoks are the Cool As Ice of this list so far.

ewoks are adorable furry machines of death, you jerk. :angry:
I Suppose that makes Gunguns the Xenomorphs of this list. :P

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2012, 01:42:43 PM »

I had to double check, but no.  You seemed pretty insistent on differentiating these things, so I was only counting stuff that was expressed clearly.  Hope that's not a problem.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2012, 01:44:03 PM »

Notable representatives:

She's a fairy?

I imagine both have taken part in "donkey shows".

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2012, 01:46:53 PM »

I had to double check, but no.  You seemed pretty insistent on differentiating these things, so I was only counting stuff that was expressed clearly.  Hope that's not a problem.
Not in the slightest.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2012, 02:15:22 PM »
44. Fable
(41 points, on 2 of 23 lists - Top Vote #2 by A Pretty Girl Is Like)

Genus: Grimmus Fictius
Fables are various characters from fairy tales and folklore who have been forced out of their Homelands by "The Adversary" who has conquered the realm. The Fables have traveled to our world and formed a clandestine community in New York City known as Fabletown. Fables who are unable to blend in with human society (such as monsters and anthropomorphic animals) live at "the Farm" in upstate New York.

The main characters of Fables are public domain figures from folklore, mythology, and literature. Bill Willingham has said the only considerations in deciding whether or not he chooses to use a character are "is the character or story free for use?" and "do I want to use it?"] Most of the characters seen so far are from European stories. The major exceptions are Arabian fables and American fables, from the fable world of Americana appearing in "Jack of Fables", such as Paul Bunyan, Black Sambo (now known as Sam) and the Lone Ranger. Most of these characters appear primarily in the Jack of Fables spin-off.
Notable representatives:
Snow White, Rose Red, Bigby Wolf, Jack, The Three Little Pigs

For the Dar-Win!

Though it might not be obvious, fables have a directly symbiotic relationship with humans, being a living reflection of their values and beliefs.  Though they can survive forever seemingly unchanged, their meaning, and therefore their very selves may change with the culture.  They provide a touchstone to man’s history, while man keeps reinventing them and keeping them alive.  See, Joseph Conrad?  Even a biologist can do this literary philosophy crap.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1184
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2012, 02:21:45 PM »
I

I considered it, but I decided to have only one horse-like mythical creature.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2012, 02:23:57 PM »
I

I considered it, but I decided to have only one hosre-like mythical creature.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/y_PZPpWTRTU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/y_PZPpWTRTU</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2012, 02:30:18 PM »

43. Moomin
(42 points, on 2 of 23 lists - Top Vote #3 by Wurwolf)

Genus: Hippopotamus Sapien
The Moomins are the central characters in a series of books and a comic strip by Swedish-Finn illustrator and writer Tove Jansson, originally published in Swedish by Schildts in Finland. They are a family of trolls, who are white and roundish, with large snouts, that make them resemble hippopotamuses. The carefree and adventurous family live in their house in Moominvalley, in the forests of Finland, though in the past their temporary residences have included a lighthouse and a theatre. They have many adventures along with their various friends.

Notable representatives:
Moominpappa, Moominmamma, Moomintroll

For the Dar-Win!

Native to Finland, these are the only members of the pachyderm family that subsist entirely on boiled and fermented fish.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2012, 02:41:29 PM »
I

I considered it, but I decided to have only one hosre-like mythical creature.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/y_PZPpWTRTU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/y_PZPpWTRTU</a>

That shit was real, bro.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7358
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2012, 02:43:35 PM »
high-five gunflyer! but did you have a shortened list?
dF = 0
d*F = J

MontyServo

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2012, 03:00:38 PM »
I had Q on my list too (at #11), so maybe it should read 3 lists instead of 2?