login

Author Topic: Books you'd like to see made into movies  (Read 3435 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
Re: Books you'd like to see made into movies
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 03:57:57 PM »
No, he said a better movie.

Well, we were talking in hypothetics.  Whatever has already been produced is excluded.

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 04:01:14 PM »
Making up the latest list of crap got me to thinking about David Brin's Uplift books.  Startide Rising would be well epic, I think.  And Rise of the Planet of the Apes showed how far monkey technology has progressed, so that would make The Uplift War pretty feasable.
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 04:54:42 PM »
One of the Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child books that ISN'T The Relic.  As in, this time around, don't cut out the star of the show like he was some sort of side character.  I want Still Life with Crows or Cabinet of Curiosities to be made, dammit.

Cemetery Dance they can skip, though.  I like their books, but they were bound to screw one up sometime.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 05:18:28 PM »
Still Life would be cool, I like Goth girls and spooky Indian type atmospheres.

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 98
  • I'm in the riffing business.
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 10:31:55 PM »

Having said that, I'm not against the idea of taking a really bad book and turning it into a better movie. 
When has that happened, though? I guess that would only happen if they got a much better writer for the screenplay than the auther was. But if the book is still the template...

Jaws was a mediocre book turned into a classic blockbuster.  The same could be said for Mario Puzo's The Godfather, though I did like that book more than Jaws.  I also felt that Interview with the Vampire worked far better as a film than it did as as book.  Maybe it's just me, but I found Rice's book to be a real chore to get through.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 11:42:12 PM »
Logan's Run. The movie is great, cheesy fun, whereas the novel it was based on is flat-out terrible.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 12:02:11 AM »

Having said that, I'm not against the idea of taking a really bad book and turning it into a better movie. 
When has that happened, though? I guess that would only happen if they got a much better writer for the screenplay than the auther was. But if the book is still the template...

Jaws was a mediocre book turned into a classic blockbuster.  The same could be said for Mario Puzo's The Godfather, though I did like that book more than Jaws.  I also felt that Interview with the Vampire worked far better as a film than it did as as book.  Maybe it's just me, but I found Rice's book to be a real chore to get through.

Speaking of Anne Rice, I didn't mind Interview as a book all that much, but her new one, The Wolf Gift, is flat out ridiculous and almost too silly to read all the way through.  At the same time, a movie of it might be awesome, because of a scene in the book involving the werewolf pitching someone 90 miles an hour out of a second or third story window.  Translated into film, that alone might be enough laughs to warrant a ticket price. ;D
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 02:16:32 AM »
Given Hollywood's track record with book to film adaptations, I'm surprised so many people want to see their favorite books turned into movies.  With few exceptions, I'd prefer my favorite books to remain as books.  In particular, I don't want Hollywood to touch The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester and Replay by Ken Grimwood because I'm worried that they'll ruin them.

I think the reason is people would be interested to see how scenes they've imagined would look on the screen.

If your choice is an adaption you might not enjoy or no adaptio, you'd chose no adaption at all?  How would your not liking the movie ruin the book?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 06:10:44 AM »
The books about the Rat are very much rooted in the time they were written when it comes to the tech aspects (as are all science fiction works obviously but Harrison is more intested in character and social speculation than imagining much in the way of advances in tech) but Slippery Jim is a fantastic abti-hero which people generally dig and I'd like to see his adventures with a few tweaks to the tools and systems he uses.

Oh, and I'd like to see more Barsoom movies but that seems unlikely.  :(

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 98
  • I'm in the riffing business.
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 06:14:05 AM »
Given Hollywood's track record with book to film adaptations, I'm surprised so many people want to see their favorite books turned into movies.  With few exceptions, I'd prefer my favorite books to remain as books.  In particular, I don't want Hollywood to touch The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester and Replay by Ken Grimwood because I'm worried that they'll ruin them.

I think the reason is people would be interested to see how scenes they've imagined would look on the screen.

If your choice is an adaption you might not enjoy or no adaptio, you'd chose no adaption at all?  How would your not liking the movie ruin the book?

If the book tells the story well enough, then why do you even need an adaptation?  It's right there in the book.  Just read it and use your imagination.  People tend to undervalue their own imaginations.  You can often imagine the scenes in a book in your mind better than a one hundred million dollar film can ever hope to realize them.

Besides, if Hollywood has proven one thing, it's that there's no book so good that they can't find some way to ruin it.  Actually I heard that years earlier they were going to make an adaptation of TSMD.  In it, they were going to get rid of jaunting (teleportation), a vital element in the novel, and turn Gully Foyle (a brutal murderer and rapist in the novel) into a nicer guy searching for his woman.  Why put in these idiotic changes when the book tells the story better without them?  My guess is to have more mass appeal.  Silly, arbitrary changes like that are one big reason why I'd prefer to keep books as books.

Also I don't want an image of Jason Statham or Chris Pine or God knows who as Gully Foyle stuck in my head.  I'd much rather imagine him as someone else in my mind. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 06:19:28 AM by Riffman for Hire »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 06:22:20 AM »
Fair enough but this is a list about wish fulfilment,  obviously an actual movie might be terrible, but for the purpose of the thread we imagine the adaptation would be great.

In your example; who would you cast in place of Pine or Stratham? Within the bounds of this thread, that's who it'll be. :)

Invader_quirk

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 08:04:25 AM »
If the book is good, meaning partially that it was a story tailored for the medium, it really shouldn't be adapted. Our culture seems to consider movies to be the more valid art form that books get made into if they're good enough, but it's really a matter of which medium is appropriate for the story. I often find myself wanting to see the book I'm reading as a movie, but then I realize that, no, I don't. What I really want is for a wider audience to experience this book exactly the way it is. The narration, which often delves deep into the mind of the protagonist, is a huge part of the experience. This is stripped away in a movie. Any sort of wordplay is gone as well. There's inherent merit to the book as a medium, and if those advantages are well utilized, then a movie adaptation would be terrible, or at least very far removed from the original experience.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 08:06:32 AM »
I think you're taking this thread a wee bit too seriously.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 08:10:26 AM »
I understand Quirk's point. I think the point of this thread is "what books do you think could be made into good movies". Yes, there are plenty that wouldn't survive intact out of the print medium. But lots of others it is fun to speculate HOW they would translate and be represented on the silver screen.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 08:13:27 AM »
Sure, sure. The argument against turning some books into movies had already come up, so I was just throwing in my two cents on that subject. I'm sure there are some books I've read that aren't so dependent on their medium that they couldn't make a good movie. I just can't think of any off the top of my head.