Author Topic: It's Time For GIFtrax!  (Read 798290 times)

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
Re: The Animated GIFs Thread. *Because MILF!*
« Reply #3900 on: September 28, 2014, 02:18:47 PM »
Adobe Premiere is not photoshop.

And I think it's far more difficult to "fake" something that looks this convincing than it is to have a weird physiology. Among 6+ billion humans, mutations and aberrations are statistically likely.

It was said it couldn't be Photoshop, because \Photoshop is for static images. I agree.  Adobe Premiere IS used for videos.

There is no way this is an unaltered video.  It's fake. One aberrations is statistically likely, yes.  But over a dozen, in one hand, AND aberrant muscle muscles in each finger and the hand? No way. We don't have the musculature to pull our fingers backwards.  Neither do we have the bone structure to do so.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #3901 on: September 28, 2014, 02:24:30 PM »
Yeah it's not photoshop.  You'd need some pretty robust and expensive blending software to accomplish that.  Occam's razor would suggest it's just a very flexible person, especially when considering this larger picture:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Adobe Premiere is affordable software to manipulate videos. 

Occam's razor? The simple assumption is, "this is a faked video." It's not the unbelievable assumption that this person's hand is unique in human physiology- every finger, and  finger joint is double jointed, and, he has the muscles to actually pull his thumb and fingers backwards. 

One double joint, maybe, but 14 or more, one one hand? NO WAY. 

This person would probably be on the news, if he could grip backwards. He'd be of great interest to scientists around the world.  I say, don't believe everything you see on the internet.  If it looks unbelievable, it's probably fake.

Glad you responded.  I'd love to delve deeper into this.

First off, no one is suggesting he (seems like a male hand) can grip backward.  He never picks up the bottle.  He can only bend his fingers back far enough to to make it look like he can grip the bottle.  I doubt he can bend far enough back to actually pick it up. 

Secondly, saying that Adobe Premiere is affordable and can edit videos is akin to claiming that a pick axe is pretty cheap and can cut marble, therefore I could use it to make this:

Adobe Premiere is used to edit videos (and a couple cheap special effects like 80s lightning).  And when I say edit, I mean arrange shots in different orders.  It does not have the ability to morph two videos together.  That's the realm of much more expensive programs. 

Plus, to do that it would have to be done on a green screen so that the background isn't morphed as well in the process.  Then the background would have to be added in later.

However, the hand is at the same time passing in front and behind the water bottle, and yet the water bottle is never morphed.  It was obviously not done on a green screen, and yet the bottle remain perfect except when the hand itself moves them.

You could say "Well they probably just did it twice and hid the cut real well when the hand moves".  Ehhhh maybe, if the camera was still.  But the camera is not still, it's moving around.  And the bottles still remain perfectly still, and there's no detectable cut point (ignoring whatever it is that Darth thinks he sees).  Any sort of video editing is made even more difficult when the camera is moving, and that movement is not done in post as everything is changes sizes in relation to the movement. 

Also, if it was two videos with two different hands, he went to extra lengths to make it look like it was a hand that was bent backward, as the thumb looks messed up when it's on the left, and the motion is real creepy.

Now, while this could have been done by a professional with some serious video effects skills, you have to ask yourself "why?".  Why would they choose to do that and then go through all the really hard work to make it look like a crappy cellphone video? 

And here's where I think Occam's Razor is the strongest, and it has to do with creativity.  It's really hard to be creative, and to think up something new.  Not only would this guy have to go through all the time consuming and skill intensive work of creating a video that looks home-made, but he would have to have the original thought "Hey, it would look really freaky if I made it look like I was grabbing a bottle, but really my hand was bent backward."  He would have to have that original thought, and then also happen to have the skills to execute it. 

Now which is simpler:  what I just explained, or some kid saying "Hey look what I can do!" and then uploading it to the internet?

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #3902 on: September 28, 2014, 02:37:09 PM »
By the way, this is my hand:

Spoilered for size

While not nearly as flexible as the gentleman in question, it's not hard for me to image that out of the 7 billion of us, someone can bend theirs farther. 

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #3903 on: September 28, 2014, 02:38:46 PM »
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #3904 on: September 28, 2014, 02:42:11 PM »
And one more important point that I just picked up on:

You never see the man's finger tips.  They are hidden behind the bottle when he has his hand bent backwards.  Our brains assume that they are bending all the way into a complete grip, but in all likelihood they are are not bent that far.  So in one way perhaps you are correct Miku.  The video isn't fake, but it's not entirely honest. 

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #3905 on: September 28, 2014, 02:48:19 PM »
Yeah it's not photoshop.  You'd need some pretty robust and expensive blending software to accomplish that.  Occam's razor would suggest it's just a very flexible person, especially when considering this larger picture:
[/spoiler]

Occam's razor? The simple assumption is, "this is a faked video." It's not the unbelievable assumption that this person's hand is unique in human physiology- every finger, and  finger joint is double jointed, and, he has the muscles to actually pull his thumb and fingers backwards. 

This person would probably be on the news, if he could grip backwards. He'd be of great interest to scientists around the world.  I say, don't believe everything you see on the internet.  If it looks unbelievable, it's probably fake.

First off, no one is suggesting he (seems like a male hand) can grip backward.  He never picks up the bottle.  He can only bend his fingers back far enough to to make it look like he can grip the bottle.  I doubt he can bend far enough back to actually pick it up. 

Secondly, saying that Adobe Premiere is affordable and can edit videos is akin to claiming that a pick axe is pretty cheap and can cut marble, therefore I could use it to make this:

Adobe Premiere is used to edit videos (and a couple cheap special effects like 80s lightning).  And when I say edit, I mean arrange shots in different orders.  It does not have the ability to morph two videos together.  That's the realm of much more expensive programs. 

Plus, to do that it would have to be done on a green screen so that the background isn't morphed as well in the process.  Then the background would have to be added in later.

However, the hand is at the same time passing in front and behind the water bottle, and yet the water bottle is never morphed.  It was obviously not done on a green screen, and yet the bottle remain perfect except when the hand itself moves them.

You could say "Well they probably just did it twice and hid the cut real well when the hand moves".  Ehhhh maybe, if the camera was still.  But the camera is not still, it's moving around.  And the bottles still remain perfectly still, and there's no detectable cut point (ignoring whatever it is that Darth thinks he sees).  Any sort of video editing is made even more difficult when the camera is moving, and that movement is not done in post as everything is changes sizes in relation to the movement. 

Also, if it was two videos with two different hands, he went to extra lengths to make it look like it was a hand that was bent backward, as the thumb looks messed up when it's on the left, and the motion is real creepy.

Now, while this could have been done by a professional with some serious video effects skills, you have to ask yourself "why?".  Why would they choose to do that and then go through all the really hard work to make it look like a crappy cellphone video? 

And here's where I think Occam's Razor is the strongest, and it has to do with creativity.  It's really hard to be creative, and to think up something new.  Not only would this guy have to go through all the time consuming and skill intensive work of creating a video that looks home-made, but he would have to have the original thought "Hey, it would look really freaky if I made it look like I was grabbing a bottle, but really my hand was bent backward."  He would have to have that original thought, and then also happen to have the skills to execute it. 

Now which is simpler:  what I just explained, or some kid saying "Hey look what I can do!" and then uploading it to the internet?

I've used Premiere since the late 1990's or early 2000's.  You can apply effects to each and every frame of a video, if you want. It's easy.  You can use any effects software, including Photoshop in concert with Premiere.  You can absolutely use it with green screen.  I know, because I have. I say it's easier to fake a video, than have a unique physiology. 

I can bend my hand like yours.  Film yourself doing what this person did, and I'll believe you. Otherwise, I believe it's a fake.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #3906 on: September 28, 2014, 02:49:53 PM »
By the way, this is my hand:

Spoilered for size

today i learned that my fingers won't fing. :'(
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #3907 on: September 28, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »
[/spoiler]

I've used Premiere since the late 1990's or early 2000's.  You can apply effects to each and every frame of a video, if you want. It's easy.  You can use any effects software, including Photoshop in concert with Premiere.  You can absolutely use it with green screen.  I know, because I have. I say it's easier to fake a video, than have a unique physiology. 

I can bend my hand like yours.  Film yourself doing what this person did, and I'll believe you. Otherwise, I believe it's a fake.

Fake it using your extensive knowledge of Premiere and I'll believe it's fake.

EDIT:  I too have used Photoshop, Premiere, Final Cut, After Effects, what have you.  I am not skilled in them, but I understand the work that goes into it because I have to for my job.  And I understand the hard work that goes into making something look like it's just a crappy cellphone video when it's not.  It's not 'easy' as you say, not at all.  It's especially difficult to make something look as flawless as that video.  The only reason it looks fake is because it goes against expectations, not because of any sort of seams or artifacts. 

EDIT EDIT:  I tried to do it, but as I stated before, I'm not quite as flexible as the person in question, so the illusion isn't complete.  But having your finger tips hidden behind the object definitely adds to the illusion. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 03:00:38 PM by Variety of Cells »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #3908 on: September 28, 2014, 03:07:04 PM »
And as a last thought, some people are just more flexible than others.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #3909 on: September 28, 2014, 03:10:37 PM »

Yah.  But, read up on contortionists and you'll see the spine can be flexed that way.  No mention of the hands...at least not in the articles I just finished reading.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #3910 on: September 28, 2014, 03:18:38 PM »

Yah.  But, read up on contortionists and you'll see the spine can be flexed that way.  No mention of the hands...at least not in the articles I just finished reading.

I think you're being pulled in by the illusion a little too much.  He isn't grabbing the bottle, it just looks like he is.  His fingers are are only moderately more flexible in that direction than yours and mine, but his finger tips are hidden behind the bottle to make it seem much more exaggerated. 

Really it's his double jointed thumb that completes the illusion, which isn't that uncommon of a feature. Quite a lot of people have hypermobile thumbs.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #3911 on: September 28, 2014, 03:25:55 PM »
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #3912 on: September 28, 2014, 04:43:01 PM »
Yeah I really have no problem thinking that level of flexibility is real. If you don't think there is a some very strange and unique people out ther, check out Double Dick Dude's AMA on reddit.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #3913 on: September 28, 2014, 05:20:15 PM »
After a lot of googling, I found a possible explanation: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.  If that is what this person has, he/she has my sympathy, because it's not a nice disorder.  :(
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #3914 on: September 28, 2014, 05:21:58 PM »
Yeah I really have no problem thinking that level of flexibility is real. If you don't think there is a some very strange and unique people out ther, check out Double Dick Dude's AMA on reddit.

Haha!  I didn't look at any pictures, but the guy was willing to talk about his DD issue.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!