Author Topic: It's Time For GIFtrax!  (Read 806087 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1545
Re: The Animated Milfs...er...Gifs Thread
« Reply #225 on: September 02, 2012, 07:56:02 AM »
Could someone explain the appeal of the song?  Is there some funny meaning in the lyrics that I haven't bothered to look up?  I'm a little in the dark.

Coragale

« Reply #226 on: September 02, 2012, 07:58:02 AM »
Could someone explain the appeal of the song?  Is there some funny meaning in the lyrics that I haven't bothered to look up?  I'm a little in the dark.

It's just an awesome song. The video's hilarious, but you start to love the song more and more as you watch it.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #227 on: September 02, 2012, 08:04:35 AM »

It's a catchy little dance pop track and the video seems like they made 14 weirdly over the top videos and just put in a scene from all of them.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Danecho1967

« Reply #228 on: September 02, 2012, 11:25:04 AM »
Best song ever.
It's okay.  It would be better at about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes rather than 4.  It just seems to drag on.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4509
« Reply #229 on: September 02, 2012, 06:43:39 PM »

Coragale

« Reply #230 on: September 02, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #231 on: September 03, 2012, 01:06:12 AM »

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/08/gangnam-style-dissected-the-subversive-message-within-south-koreas-music-video-sensation/261462/

The American rapper T-Pain was retweeted 2,400 times when he wrote "Words cannot even describe how amazing this video is." Pop stars expressed admiration. Billboard is extolling his commercial viability; Justin Bieber's manager is allegedly interested. The Wall Street Journal posted "5 Must-See" response videos. On Monday, a worker at L.A.'s Dodger stadium noticed Park in the stands and played "Gangnam Style" over the stadium P.A. system as excited baseball fans spontaneously reproduced Park's distinct dance in the video. "I have to admit I've watched it about 15 times," said a CNN anchor. "Of course, no one here in the U.S. has any idea what Psy is rapping about."

I certainly didn't, beyond the basics: Gangnam is a tony Seoul neighborhood, and Park's "Gangnam Style" video lampoons its self-importance and ostentatious wealth, with Psy playing a clownish caricature of a Gangnam man. That alone makes it practically operatic compared to most K-Pop. But I spoke with two regular observers of Korean culture to find out what I was missing, and it turns out that the video is rich with subtle references that, along with the song itself, suggest a subtext with a surprisingly subversive message about class and wealth in contemporary South Korean society. That message would be awfully mild by American standards -- this is no "Born in the U.S.A." -- but South Korea is a very different place, and it's a big deal that even this gentle social satire is breaking records on Korean pop charts long dominated by cotton candy.

------------------------------------------------------------

Gangnam, Hong said, is a symbol of that aspect of South Korean culture. The neighborhood is the home of some of South Korea's biggest brands, as well as $84 billion of its wealth, as of 2010. That's seven percent of the entire country's GDP in an area of just 15 square miles. A place of the most conspicuous consumption, you might call it the embodiment of South Korea's one percent. "The neighborhood in Gangnam is not just a nice town or nice neighborhood. The kids that he's talking about are not Silicon Valley self-made millionaires. They're overwhelmingly trust-fund babies and princelings," he explained.

This skewering of the Gangnam life can be easy to miss for non-Korean. Psy boasts that he's a real man who drinks a whole cup of coffee in one gulp, for example, insisting he wants a women who drinks coffee. "I think some of you may be wondering why he's making such a big deal out of coffee, but it's not your ordinary coffee," U.S.-based Korean blogger Jea Kim wrote at her site, My Dear Korea. (Her English-subtitled translation of the video is at right.) "In Korea, there's a joke poking fun at women who eat 2,000-won (about $2) ramen for lunch and then spend 6,000 won on Starbucks coffee." They're called Doenjangnyeo, or "soybean paste women" for their propensity to crimp on essentials so they can over-spend on conspicuous luxuries, of which coffee is, believe it or not, one of the most common. "The number of coffee shops has gone up tremendously, particularly in Gangnam," Hong said. "Coffee shops have become the place where people go to be seen and spend ridiculous amounts of money."

The video is "a satire about Gangnam itself but also it's about how people outside Gangnam pursue their dream to be one of those Gangnam residents without even realizing what it really means," Kim explained to me when I got in touch with her. Koreans "really wanted to be one of them," but she says that feeling is changing, and "Gangnam Style" captures people's ambivalence.

"Koreans have been kind of caught up in this spending to look wealthy, and Gangnam has really been the leading edge of that," Hong said. "I think a lot of what [Psy] is pointing out is how silly that is. The whole video is about him thinking he's a hotshot but then realizing he's just, you know, at a children's playground, or thinking he's playing polo or something and realizes he's on a merry-go-round."

-------------------------------

(If you're wondering about the bizarre episodes in the elevator and with the red sports car, as I was, it turns out that those are probably just excuses for a couple of cameos by TV personalities, which is apparently common in South Korean music videos.)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HUk69c72UlY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HUk69c72UlY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 01:10:49 AM by Lembach »

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #232 on: September 03, 2012, 03:59:17 AM »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 03:19:39 PM by Lembach »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1545
« Reply #233 on: September 04, 2012, 07:54:28 AM »
Fair enough.  More than adequately explained. 

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #234 on: September 04, 2012, 09:08:20 AM »
Jesus that song sucks and I would never listen to it..............   

My mind is sold on rock, jazz and blues and that is not any of that.

Coragale

« Reply #235 on: September 04, 2012, 09:19:22 AM »

Psshaw. I like all those things. Gangnam Style is superior.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #236 on: September 04, 2012, 02:38:10 PM »
Eh, that's the good thing about people.....everyone likes different stuff

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #237 on: September 04, 2012, 02:42:38 PM »
Eh, that's the good thing about people.....everyone likes different stuff

No way, that's the worst thing about people.
FINE

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6869
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #238 on: September 04, 2012, 03:11:16 PM »
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #239 on: September 04, 2012, 03:21:47 PM »

Hey, I'm not saying it's high art. My music of choice is 80s New Wave and Punk, ranging into more modern techno and indie.
I like a good beat. That song has it. It also doesn't take itself so seriously and I find it amusing.

Now, speaking of 80s New Wave: