Author Topic: The COVID-19 Pandemic: What's happening in your part of the world?  (Read 8916 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1026
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
Re: The COVID-19 Pandemic: What's happening in your part of the world?
« Reply #345 on: September 18, 2020, 04:03:49 PM »
In Walmart the other day, I said to one of the employees that it should be perfectly legal for me to kick anyone's ass for not wearing their mask in a public place. They see that ALL the time... maximum big surprise.

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1078
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #346 on: September 26, 2020, 02:35:54 PM »
Governor Northam of Virginia (my home state) and his wife have just tested positive. He's been giving press conferences at least twice a week since this started, broadcast on local NPR. Apparently he got it from one of his staff.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 379
« Reply #347 on: September 28, 2020, 06:09:06 PM »
Wife fully recovered. I never really had any symptoms. Both out of quarantine and back at work. Rented a cabin out in the middle of nowhere for the last week of October. Taking food, plan to disinfect the hell out of it when we get there, and then spend a week hiking, reading, and relaxing.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7302
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #348 on: September 30, 2020, 01:34:14 AM »
i wonder if poland'll hit 100k confirmed cases before i leave. it's looking like we might.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4842
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #349 on: October 09, 2020, 01:47:41 PM »
Covid-19 is starting to become a serious problem in the NFL..
Stephen A. Smith has a very good take on the current situation:
https://developers.facebook.com/docs/plugins/embedded-video-player/?prefill_href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.prod.facebook.com%2Fstephena%2Fvideos%2F707002720237680%2F#configurator

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5326
« Reply #350 on: October 18, 2020, 03:13:35 PM »
Umm...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 03:15:08 PM by RVR II »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #351 on: October 18, 2020, 03:16:03 PM »
Looks like it's actually spreading at 'Ludicrous Speed' :-X

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6492
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #352 on: October 18, 2020, 04:11:00 PM »
Looks like it's actually spreading at 'Ludicrous Speed' :-X
Umm...

Trump: "No, go past this. Past this part. In fact, never play this again."

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7302
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #353 on: October 18, 2020, 04:55:41 PM »
i'm sure glad i left when i did.

canada's doing relatively well at the moment, but it'll probably tip to bad within the month. i haven't tracked down the testing numbers here yet.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3848
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #354 on: October 19, 2020, 10:05:28 AM »
New Mexico was killing it until about 3 weeks ago.

I work for a government laboratory, so when someone who works there gets COVID, they have to shut down the entire floor and send a bunch of people home while a super-expensive sterilization crew goes in to do cleanup. It had happened maybe 15 times since the whole thing started, and like- 20 in the last 2 weeks. Things are getting real. (Fortunately, I've been telecommuting since this whole thing went down, so that's one risk I don't have to worry about.)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #355 on: October 19, 2020, 10:22:28 AM »
The guy that replaced me at the post office on the other side of town, his daughter has it and he's been out for almost 2 weeks.
The postmaster has done very little to get seasonal help in to cover the Christmas rush. In fact she claims we are over staffed ??? People are retiring and not being replaced so if we get hit with a Covid-19 outbreak we are in serious trouble!

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #356 on: October 19, 2020, 12:41:27 PM »
Not sure I'm ready to go to a theater again yet, but got the email reminder about the Wednesday Rifftrax so went and checked. Theater on the other side of town opened briefly and closed due to lack of business. But theater on this side of town is the one that always shows the Rifftrax events and it's still open. However only open on Tuesday nights and all day Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
Closed Wednesday = no Rifftrax event here even if I decided I wanted to go.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #357 on: October 19, 2020, 12:49:09 PM »
Our favorite bar/restaurant closed for good on Sunday citing downturn in business. Keeping their other 2 locations open but food not good enough for us to ever go to one of those locations. Food good, just not great. Reason it was our favorite place was location and prices. Sucks considering we were doing our part to try and keep them in business. During shutdown we were ordering takeout from them about every other week and after they reppened we were going there once a week...but part of the reason we were comfortable going there in person was because there were never more than 4 to 8 other people there...which makes the closing more understandable, but still sucks.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #358 on: October 19, 2020, 01:07:41 PM »
A local restaurant here shut down 2 weeks ago that was a favorite of mine since the 80s but I think Covid-19 played a partial role in it's closing.. It was a staple in town for 44 years but was sold a few years ago to a new owner and she moved it to a central location downtown that had a parking garage and had a lot of construction going on so sitting outside wasn't enjoyable. The prices went up a bit and the meals got smaller in size.
Then Covid hit and they shut down for a couple of months then reopened on certain days at certain times (evenings only) killing off the lunch time crowds. Then they offered curb side pick up but no delivery service at all. Uber or Door Dash were available but they never offered to use their service so that limited even more customers until they closed for good on October 5.
Other restaurants adapted to the Covid world but the new owner couldn't or wouldn't make the necessary changes to survive. Sux they're gone now :(
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 01:09:40 PM by RVR II »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6492
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #359 on: October 19, 2020, 08:41:15 PM »
Seems like with a lot of restaurants going under, once the Covid is truly over middle of next year there will be a lot of restaurants for sale cheap. Might be a boon for entrepreneurs who want to open their own little restaurant.  Of course it could also let chains restaurants scoop them up and expand cheaply.