Author Topic: List of Crap 61: Top 50 Fictional Species and Races  (Read 14994 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
List of Crap 61: Top 50 Fictional Species and Races
« on: June 10, 2012, 07:53:03 PM »
"The life so short, the craft so long to learn."
- Hippocrates

It's funny, I was looking at quotes about life in wikiquotes and though it isn't intended in the genetic sense, I think it wouldn't hurt to look at that quote from such an angle...

Sorry about the unwieldy title for the latest list of crap, but luckily it was popular enough that it's not an issue.  Welcome to the 61st list of crap, this time looking at our favourite non-human creatures!  After all, variety is the spice of life, so why should reality have all the fun of being the chef.  So for this list of crap, it's all about the life that really isn't alive, even if we wish it were (dammit, geneticists, why don't you answer the wishlists I keep sending you?).  So, first, some ground rules of how this works.

1.  Send in a list of your top 25 favourite fictional species or races in order.  Your #1 will be worth 25 points, #2 worth 24, etc.  If you can't make a list that big, don't worry, you can send in a smaller list, which will be adjusted for it's length (if it's 10, than #1 will be worth 10 points, #2 will be worth 24 etc.)  After the deadline all of the points will be tabulated and we get to see who the winners are.
2.  All entries must be a fictional race or species of creature.  Keep in mind, this can include plants and fungi and unless there's a complaint, microscopic one celled dealies.
3.  If you're wondering what counts, I'll try to give you an idea: creatures/races from mythology, movies, TV, video games, comic books, regular books, and all forms of entertainment.  At the risk of offending some people, creatures from religions that do not exist presently on Earth and cannot be proven count.
4.  For said creatures, there cannot be only one of a kind.  When I say that, there may be only one of them left or they may all be extinct, but there needed to be, at one point, at least several.  The minotaur cannot count since it is a unique creature and there is only one of them.
5. Mutations/deviations from non-fictional life is completely fine, include relatives to humans.
6.  Another possible point of controversy: robots and non-living/undead supernatural can count.  For the former, I'm going with Star Trek: TNG "Measure of a Man" rules on this one.  However, please respect my power to go against this ruling in cases I find unworkable to the theme (machines with a measure of autonomy but are really just tools in the purest sense and/or have no real sentience are out.  I'm looking at you Foot Soldiers from Ninja Turtles).  The reason I'm counting it is because well... To quote Star Trekkin' )the first and last time anyone will do that)  "It's life Jim, but not as we know it."

By the way, I'll be having a special guest commentator for this one:

That's right!  It's Santa Claus!  We're all gonna sit on his knee and sing Christmas carols and...

What?  Not Santa?  Well, whoever he is, we both want you to get your lists in before June 21st, ya dig!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:01:29 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Invader_quirk

Re: Top 50 Fictional Species and Races
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 08:18:12 PM »
1) Would something like "Pokemon" count as a race, or would it need to be a specific type of pokemon? I'm not sure I'm going to include them, but the answer to this question will help me judge a few other options as well.

2) If I want to vote for ponies from Friendship is Magic, would "ponies" be sufficient, or would I need to either choose earth ponies, pegasus ponies, or unicorn ponies? Please note that these types can interbreed and have children of a type different from themselves.

EDIT: Obviously, the "earth ponies" are merely talking versions of animals that really exist. Unicorn ponies and pegasus ponies, though, are obviously fictional. This makes the question a little more complex, as pegasi and unicorns are not exclusive to Friendship is Magic, though FIM's are the only versions I'd care to vote for due to their unique traits in that show.

3) Are races that are fictional within their work of fiction eligible?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 08:28:06 PM by Invader_quirk »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 09:07:34 PM »
1) Either/or.

2) Little Ponies will be accepted.  Little bronies will not.  They are human.  Ish.

3) Your getting a little meta on me, but yes.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 09:20:55 PM »

"I bent my Wookie!"
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 09:45:31 PM »
Sweet. Definitely going to contribute to this one. And looking forward to Darwin's info.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 746
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: List of Crap 61: Top 50 Fictional Species and Races
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 11:03:12 PM »
Well, I was rooting for Musicals, but once it was pretty apparent that was going to lose, I starting thinking about this idea. I'm quite sure I can come up with 25, but keep in mind many may be a bit obscure. But at any rate, I will be submitting a list. 

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 11:11:06 PM »
This one seems like it will be a particularly crowded list, seeing as there's basically thousands of options when you look into books, tv, and movies. I'll probably have to limit myself to a single medium just to begin narrowing it down.

Still, I will participate in this one, and not totally forget until the day after the deadline like I may or may not have done for the last list.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 07:02:05 AM »
It could get tricky having Pokemon on the list. If we were just going to limit to each universe (say, Pokemon as a whole and not the individual Pokemon) then that could be problematic for some other groups (what if you wanted to include all of the species from Lord of the Rings and not just be limited to a generic "LOTR species"). But then, on the other hand, if you start including individual Pokemon then we just have another Pokemon LoC all over again.

I'm not telling anyone how to vote, but I hope the Pokemon crowd will take that into consideration so that this list will be more diverse.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

MontyServo

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 07:31:48 AM »
All I know is that I am going to have to put a lot of thought into this one.  Should be a good one.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 07:54:08 AM »
The mythological side of things might be useful for suggesting additional species for characters in the radio show I'm writing. :)

Coragale

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 10:08:31 AM »
It could get tricky having Pokemon on the list. If we were just going to limit to each universe (say, Pokemon as a whole and not the individual Pokemon) then that could be problematic for some other groups (what if you wanted to include all of the species from Lord of the Rings and not just be limited to a generic "LOTR species"). But then, on the other hand, if you start including individual Pokemon then we just have another Pokemon LoC all over again.

I'm not telling anyone how to vote, but I hope the Pokemon crowd will take that into consideration so that this list will be more diverse.

I, for one, don't see it as being a problem. Yeah, Pokemon are great, but there are many, MANY more things out there than just Pokemon for this list. Like bog, I might not even include any in mine.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 10:46:51 AM »
Unless I could include "Pokemon" as an entry, I won't bother with them. I'm still not sure what the verdict was. "Either/or" is a confusing answer. Are you saying I could either include "Pokemon" or individual species?

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
i'm only including species that were present in the confidence motion scene from star wars episode 1. so there. :P
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 11:04:30 AM »
I too started thinking about it when I saw musicals was gonna loose and thought up a few.  I too will submit a list.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 11:18:11 AM »
i'm only including species that were present in the confidence motion scene from star wars episode 1. so there. :P
Whatever the hell E.T. is FTW!