login

Author Topic: List Of Crap#60 Countdown - Top Comedic Actors & Actresses (Possibly NSFW clips)  (Read 42483 times)

MontyServo

Number 4
(159 points, on 9 of 16 lists - Top Vote #1 - Asbestos Bill)
Phil Hartman

My thoughts:
Another comedy legend.  I am ashamed to say that he slipped my mind when I made my list.  Otherwise he might have been a few spots higher. He was the anchor on SNL the years he was there.

The Wiki:
Philip Edward "Phil" Hartman (September 24, 1948 – May 28, 1998) was a Canadian-American actor, comedian, screenwriter, and graphic artist. Born in Brantford, Ontario, Hartman and his family moved to the United States when he was 10. After graduating from California State University, Northridge, with a degree in graphic arts, he designed album covers for bands like Poco and America. Feeling the need for a more creative outlet, Hartman joined the comedy group The Groundlings in 1975 and there helped comedian Paul Reubens develop his character Pee-wee Herman. Hartman co-wrote the screenplay for the film Pee-wee's Big Adventure and made recurring appearances on Reubens' show Pee-wee's Playhouse.

Hartman became famous in the late 1980s when he joined the sketch comedy show Saturday Night Live. He won fame for his impressions, particularly of President Bill Clinton, and he stayed on the show for eight seasons. Called "the Glue" for his ability to hold the show together and help other cast members, Hartman won a Primetime Emmy Award for his SNL work in 1989. In 1995, after scrapping plans for his own variety show, he starred as Bill McNeal in the NBC sitcom NewsRadio. He also had frequent roles on The Simpsons as Lionel Hutz, Troy McClure, and others, and appeared in the films Houseguest, Sgt. Bilko, Jingle All the Way, and Small Soldiers.

Hartman had been divorced twice before he married Brynn Omdahl in 1987; the couple had two children together. However, their marriage was fractured, due in part to Brynn's drug use. On May 28, 1998, Brynn shot and killed her husband while he slept in their Encino, Los Angeles, home, then committed suicide several hours later. In the weeks following his death, Hartman was celebrated in a wave of tributes. Dan Snierson of Entertainment Weekly opined that Hartman was "the last person you'd expect to read about in lurid headlines in your morning paper...a decidedly regular guy, beloved by everyone he worked with".

The clip:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3JpwjnMFlJI?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3JpwjnMFlJI?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

MontyServo

Number 3
(170 points, on 11 of 16 lists - Top Vote #4 - Imrahil & Kete & Johnny Unusual)
John Cleese

My thoughts:
One of my favorite Pythons and largely responsible for one of the funniest films ever, A Fish Called Wanda.

The Wiki:
John Marwood Cleese (born 27 October 1939) is an English actor, comedian, writer and film producer. He achieved success at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe and as a scriptwriter and performer on The Frost Report. In the late 1960s he became a member of Monty Python, the comedy troupe responsible for the sketch show Monty Python's Flying Circus and the four Monty Python films: And Now for Something Completely Different, The Holy Grail, Life of Brian and The Meaning of Life.

In the mid 1970s, Cleese and his first wife, Connie Booth, co-wrote and starred in the British sitcom Fawlty Towers. Later, he co-starred with Kevin Kline, Jamie Lee Curtis and former Python colleague Michael Palin in A Fish Called Wanda and Fierce Creatures. He also starred in Clockwise, and has appeared in many other films, including two James Bond films as R/Q, two Harry Potter films and three Shrek films.

With Yes Minister writer Antony Jay he co-founded Video Arts, a production company making entertaining training films.

The clip:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yfl6Lu3xQW0?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yfl6Lu3xQW0?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

MontyServo

Number 2
(173 points, on 12 of 16 lists - Top Vote #1 - D.B. Barnes & Wurwolf)
Will Ferrell

My thoughts:
Love Will but his work has been so scattershot for me over the years, you never know what you are going to get.  But his best work, namely Anchorman is so good that I will still see anything he does.

The Wiki:
John William "Will" Ferrell (born July 16, 1967) is an American comedian, impressionist, actor, and writer. Ferrell first established himself in the mid 1990s as a cast member on the NBC sketch comedy show Saturday Night Live, and has subsequently starred in the comedy films Old School, Elf, Anchorman, Talladega Nights, Stranger than Fiction, Blades of Glory, Semi-Pro, and The Other Guys. He is considered a member of the "Frat Pack", a generation of leading Hollywood comic actors who emerged in the late 1990s and the 2000s, including Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Steve Carell, Vince Vaughn, and brothers Owen and Luke Wilson.

The clip:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pamHRy81phw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pamHRy81phw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
So glad Hartman made the list. News Radio is still one of my favorite shows of all time.

Here is what I voted for.

1)Groucho Marx
2)Phil Hartman
3)Mary Tayler Moore
4)Jack Benny
5)John Cleese
6)Nigel Hawthorne
7)Hugh Laurie
8)Steven Fry
9)Paul Eddington
10)Kelsey Grammer
11)Edward Asner
12)John Mahoney
13)David Hyde Pierce
14)Chris Barrie
15)Robert Llewellyn
16)Jon Lovitz
17)Stephen Root
18)Dick Van Dyke
19)Harpo Marx
20)Chico Marx
21)Bill Cosby
22)Simon Jones
23)Cary Grant
24)Prunella Scales
25)Penelope Keith
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

MontyServo

And next is number one (by a wide margin too!)

MontyServo

Number 1
(265 points, on 13 of 16 lists - Top Vote #1 - Johnny Unusual & Monty)
Bill Murray

My thoughts:
My number 1 and the overall number 1 (by a wide margin!)  Bill Murray is just awesome in just about everything he does.  His credits reads like a Comedy's Greatest Hits compilation: Stripes, Meatballs, Ghostbusters, Scrooged, Quick Change, What About Bob? (my fave by him), and you can just go on and on.

The Wiki:
William James "Bill" Murray (born September 21, 1950) is an American actor and comedian. He first gained national exposure on Saturday Night Live in which he earned an Emmy Award and later went on to star in a number of critically and commercially successful comedic films, including Caddyshack (1980), Ghostbusters (1984), and Groundhog Day (1993). Murray gained additional critical acclaim later in his career, starring in Lost in Translation (2003), that earned him an Academy Award for Best Actor nomination, and a series of films directed by Wes Anderson, including Rushmore (1998), The Royal Tenenbaums (2001), The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) and Moonrise Kingdom (2012).

The clip:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-TogGxzlfhM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-TogGxzlfhM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5615
  • Mr. Robot
Number 5
(148 points, on 7 of 16 lists - Top Vote #1 - Imrahil & Kete)
Steve Martin

Brilliant Comedian.  I actually had difficulty pinning him down exactly on how high on my list he should go.  I love him as an actor and he mad one of my favourite comedies, the Jerk, but it occurred to me that I might prefer him as a stand up and writer.  But thinking again, I should have put him a point or two higher as while he's an incredible writer, he's a lot like Murray in that he's incredibly charismatic that when he shows his sincerity (like Trains, Planes and Automobiles) it makes both the comedy and drama more effective.  If I thought I bit harder I would have put him up as bit higher.

Number 4
(159 points, on 9 of 16 lists - Top Vote #1 - Asbestos Bill)
Phil Hartman

My thoughts:
Another comedy legend.  I am ashamed to say that he slipped my mind when I made my list.  Otherwise he might have been a few spots higher. He was the anchor on SNL the years he was there.

The world and Springfield is poorer for his loss.  I think that if he were alive he might have started to get really plum character roles from people who grew up with him on the Simpsons, SNL and Newsradio.  He's great, but he has done a lot of work that was beneath him (like Houseguest, Small Soldiers and anytime he was put in an SNL movie).

Number 3
(170 points, on 11 of 16 lists - Top Vote #4 - Imrahil & Kete & Johnny Unusual)
John Cleese

He's the master at being funny while being angry.  Full blown rage or quietly steaming away, he's the king.  Of course, there's more to him than that, but he's brilliant at letting things ignite at just the right moment.

Number 2
(173 points, on 12 of 16 lists - Top Vote #1 - D.B. Barnes & Wurwolf)
Will Ferrell

Another good pick, but I didn't expect him to be this high.  Especially since the internet has a habit of backlashing against popular celebrities in the race to say "I knew he was lame before anyone else."  A little high, but it does make me hopeful.  Of course, it probably helps that no one can get cynical about Anchorman.  I remember it came out the same Summer as Dodgeball, which made for a fantastic summer of comedy.

Number 1
(265 points, on 13 of 16 lists - Top Vote #1 - Johnny Unusual & Monty)
Bill Murray

AKA charisma incarnate.  He's a human attention magnet, and he will take it and keep it forever!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Great list Monty and thanks for much for hosting it.  I'm just a little bit disappointed that I was probably the only guy to vote Joe Flaherty.  But it makes sense since outside of SCTV he never had a huge starring role.

1. Bill Murray
2. Dave Foley
3. Joe Flaherty
4. John Cleese
5. Groucho Marx
6. Fred Willard
7. Andrea Martin
8. Phil Hartman
9. Stephen Colbert
10. Steve Martin
11. Steve Carell
12. Will Ferrell
13. Bob Odenkirk
14. John Goodman
15. Portia de Rossi
16. Jessica Walter
17. Peter Sellers
18. Christopher Guest
19. Jim Henson
20. Bruce McCulloch
21. H Jon Benjamin
22. Scott Thompson
23. Kevin McDonald
24. Harry Shearer
25. Will Arnett

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
I agree with everything in the top five except for Phil Hartman. Not sure why he placed so high.

Johnny, I debated whether or not to put Joe Flaherty on the list as I loved his characters on SCTV, but in the end I didn't. Honestly, I seriously wished I could have put every cast member from SCTV on the list.

Here's my list:

1. Will Ferrell
2. Steve Carrell
3. Paul Rudd
4. John C. Reilly

5. Danny McBride
6. Fred Willard
7. Simon Pegg
8. Groucho Marx
9. Christopher Guest
10. Bill Murray
11. Amy Poehler

12. Jackie Chan
13. Ricky Gervais
14. Dave Chappelle
15. John Candy

16. Rodney Dangerfield
17. Norm McDonald
18. Louis CK
19. John Cleese
20. Eugene Levy
21. Jane Lynch
22. Don Knotts
23. Bruce Campbell
24. Catherine O'Hara
25. Mel Brooks

Great LoC, and thanks for all the hard work, Monty! :)
Bonhead #2
fs!!

MontyServo

Here are a few extra tidbits:

The person who came oh so close to making the list with the most votes also was:
Scott Thompson who ended up on 4 lists but with only 24 points.
Kristen Wiig was also on 4 lists but only had 22 points total.
Kevin McDonald had the most votes with the fewest points as he was also on 4 lists but only had 12 points total.

My list:

1. Bill Murray
2. Madeline Kahn
3. John Candy
4. Gene Wilder
5. Mike Myers
6. Chico Marx
7. Steve Martin
8. Martin Short
9. Groucho Marx
10. Will Ferrell
11. Dan Ackroyd

12. Gilda Radner
13. Dave Foley
14. Eugene Levy
15. David Cross
16. Eric Idle
17. John Cleese
18. Graham Chapman     
19. Amy Poehler

20. Bob Odenkirk
21. Kristen Wiig
22. Steve Carrel
23. Simon Pegg

24. Adam Sandler
25. Paul Rudd

I was surprised to be the only person to vote for Gilda Radner.  And I wish I had placed Eugene Levy a bit higher and he would have made the list.

And yes, I was the only person to have Adam Sandler on my list.  Sorry, but Happy Gilmore and The Waterboy still crack me up.

It was a pleasure to run this list and I hope everyone enjoyed it.  I hope to run another again someday. (Keep your eyes out for Songs from Movies!)   :)

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 833
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
1 Colin Mochrie (I was at the circus once and I saw the strong man bend a car... wait a minute, bend a car, Pat Benetar!... You're not the only master of segues.)
2 Ryan Stiles (...but every time I do they seem to fuck me up the ass) Last line of an IRS Hoedown, in case you were wondering.
3 Johnny Carson
4 Betty White (Miami, you're cuter than, an inter-uterine) Golden Girls, one of the best shows ever.
5 Groucho Marx

6 Ellen DeGeneres
7 Carol Burnette
8 Matthew Perry
9 Wayne Brady
10 Steven Colbert
11 Jon Stewart
12 Lucille Ball
13 Tony Slattery (Let's see the bree trick again!)
14 Bill Murray
15 Brad Sherwood (There's nothing better than a 200 lb snatch.)
16 Robin Williams
17 Josie Lawrence (Hello and welcome to Dead Cats, a hundred and nine things you can do with your pussy)
18 Greg Proops
19 Phil Hartman
20 Chip Esten
21 Jim Carrey
22 Conan O'Brian
23 Kevin James
24 Ben Stiller (despite those God awful Meet the Parents movies)
25 Drew Carey

In case you can't tell, Whose Line is it Anyway is pretty much my favorite show ever (sorry MST3K, but you come in a respectable second). I'm kinda disappointed that not a single person from that show made it. And I'm absolutely astounded that Johnny Carson didn't make it. OTOH, I will never understand what people find funny about Will Farrel or Dave Chappelle.

Ones that I forgot but wish I hadn't: Bob Newhart, John Candy, Steve Martin and Gene Wilder.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
Damn, Johnny Carson! He would have made my list for sure if I'd remembered him.

Also, I'm kind of embarrassed I put Danny McBride so high on my list. I guess I just wasn't thinking straight -- this list was crazy hard in terms of ranking. I'm a big fan of Eastbound and Down and Hot Rod the movie, and I just kind of got too enthusiastic.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot

Also, I'm kind of embarrassed I put Danny McBride so high on my list. I guess I just wasn't thinking straight -- this list was crazy hard in terms of ranking. I'm a big fan of Eastbound and Down and Hot Rod the movie, and I just kind of got too enthusiastic.

Wait, has Johnny Carson ever acted?  I only knew him as a talk show host.

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!

Wait, has Johnny Carson ever acted?  I only knew him as a talk show host.

He had a role on an episode of Get Smart where he was not playing himself.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
1.   Tim Brooke-Taylor
2.   Graeme Garden
3.   Bill Oddie
4.   Kevin Eldon
5.   Griff Rhys Jones
6.   Rowan Atkinson
7.   Mel Smith
8.   Stephen Fry
9.   Hugh Laurie

10.   Mark Williams
11.   Julie Walters
12.   Arabella Weir
13.   Morwenna Banks
14.   Gregor Fisher
15.   Helen Lederer
16.   Victoria Wood
17.   Celia Imrie
18.   Duncan Preston
19.   Paul Whitehouse
20.   Charlie Higson
21.   Simon Day
22.   Harry Enfield
23.   Mark Heap
24.   Rebecca Front
25.   Chris Morris

I think that all the ones red that should be.