login

Author Topic: List Of Crap#60 Countdown - Top Comedic Actors & Actresses (Possibly NSFW clips)  (Read 40504 times)

MontyServo

Re: List Of Crap #60 Countdown - Top Comedic Actors & Actresses
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 09:43:43 AM »
Number 46
(26 points, on 2 of 16 lists - Top Vote #6 by Monty)
Chico Marx

My thoughts:
Chico is my favorite Marx Brother.  Can't really say why.  Groucho always had the best lines. Harpo had the best physical stuff, but Chico just made me laugh more consistantly.

The Wiki:
Leonard "Chico" Marx (March 22, 1887 – October 11, 1961) was an American comedian and film star as part of the Marx Brothers. His persona in the act was that of a dim-witted albeit crafty con artist, seemingly of rural Italian origin, who wore shabby clothes, and sported a curly-haired wig and Tyrolean hat.

As the first-born of the five Marx Brothers, he also played an important role in the management and development of the act, at least in its early years.

The clip:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/td3p2XKHP2M?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/td3p2XKHP2M?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

MontyServo

Re: List Of Crap #60 Countdown - Top Comedic Actors & Actresses
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 09:44:14 AM »
That's it for now.  More later on today.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5137
  • Mr. Robot
I wish I've seen more Marx.  I've only seen A Night in Casablanca and A Night at the Opera.  Damn they have such good timing and the jokes are so fast and furious.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
I agree about the Robin Williams dislike. If I had to compile a list of a hundred instead of twenty-five, he still wouldn't have made the list.

Chico, though, that was one I left off and felt bad about (Harpo, too). I love the Marx Brothers as a collective, but Groucho just really did it for me, partly because of the movies but also because of You Bet Your Life.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
I wish I've seen more Marx.  I've only seen A Night in Casablanca and A Night at the Opera.  Damn they have such good timing and the jokes are so fast and furious.

Duck Soup is probably the best of the bunch.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

MontyServo

You really need to see Duck Soup.  Not only their funniest movie, but one of the funniest movies ever made.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5137
  • Mr. Robot

You really need to see Duck Soup.  Not only their funniest movie, but one of the funniest movies ever made.

That's what I keep hearing, but I never get the opportunity to see it.

I agree about the Robin Williams dislike. If I had to compile a list of a hundred instead of twenty-five, he still wouldn't have made the list.

The thing is, I think he can be a great actor, but I don't find him appealing as a comedian.  I rewatched Good Morning, Vietnam recently and found it pretty unpleasant all around, much in the same way Patch Adams is (when you're a kid it all seems to work, but when you get older it's easy to see a lot of problems with those films worldviews).

Though I haven't seen it, I have heard that World's Greatest Dad is actually has a good performance from him in a very dark film.

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 293
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest

Chico just got squeezed out of my top 25, but I love him. My favorite Marx Brothers movie is Horse Feathers, and I also like Animal Crackers a great deal.

Hooray for Captain Spaulding!
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My podcast!: www.popmyculturepodcast.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Coragale

I'm glad Cary Grant made the list. I actually had him on mine, but I guess I removed him. No idea why. I'm good with all the others.

Also, Robin Williams is funny. Not as funny as Audrey Hepburn is attractive, but funny.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Chapelle's Show is outstanding, and he's one of the people I cut and now feel bad about it. I cut him before I really starting thinking hard about the people who made me crack up the most, and using that as my primary criterion. I guess when I think about it, the people surrounding him made me laugh as much, and sometimes more, than he did. That's why I could easily fill a list of sketch comedians, because I think of one and then start thinking about their fellow players. It's why I cut Eddie Murphy, for example. If I included Murphy, I'd have to include Piscopo, because that guy made me laugh just as much (if not more) on SNL.

Anyway, still feel bad about cutting Chappelle. So many classic bits; the Wayne Brady one is outstanding - "Is Wayne Brady gonna hafta cut a bitch?!?" Rick James - "THEY SHOULDA NEVER GAVE YOU NIGGAS MONEY!!!" The Racial Draft. Prince vs. Charlie Murphy. The Mad Real World. Ashy Larry. Good comedy.

And I agree with the sentiment that Robin Williams is a good dramatic actor, but I've always found his comedic acting not so much funny as irritating. Robin Williams just isn't funny.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
Only two lists with Chapelle?  I guess that shows how hard this list was to define and create.

But great start so far!

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
I've never gotten the Marx Brothers, of the not an actual genre B&W comedy era they're definately the people I have the most time for because I enjoy their wordplay more than I do the physical comedy of Buster Keaton, Chaplin, etc (I get bored after about a minute of the 3 Stooges) but I like the idea of what they're doing more than the performances themselves.

I think it partially comes down to having no relationship to what they're joking about which I think is much more important in comedy than any other genre.  This goes some way (to me) to explain why a lot of men can say 'women aren't funny' so confidently, a lot of female stand-ups, at least in this country have acts that revolve around their relationship to their husband and children which has women of a similar age or experience howling with laughter while I just scratch my head because I can't relate to that experience which is fine because I'm not supposed to, it's not for me... much the same as other niche comedians who's target audience I'm not in. 
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
Only two lists with Chapelle?  I guess that shows how hard this list was to define and create.

But great start so far!

Me and you, Kete! We got good taste.  :highfive:
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
This goes some way (to me) to explain why a lot of men can say 'women aren't funny' so confidently, a lot of female stand-ups, at least in this country have acts that revolve around their relationship to their husband and children which has women of a similar age or experience howling with laughter while I just scratch my head because I can't relate to that experience which is fine because I'm not supposed to, it's not for me... much the same as other niche comedians who's target audience I'm not in.

I am female and this kind of "comedy" is exactly why I say women aren't funny. It plays into stereotypical female behavior and thoughts. To me, it's nothing more than a minstrel show. To many women fall back on this for their acts because they think that's what their audience wants to hear but it's just laziness. It's easy to joke about a husband who won't take out the trash and crazy periods instead of putting some thought into what might be humorous to everyone, regardless of gender.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
This goes some way (to me) to explain why a lot of men can say 'women aren't funny' so confidently, a lot of female stand-ups, at least in this country have acts that revolve around their relationship to their husband and children which has women of a similar age or experience howling with laughter while I just scratch my head because I can't relate to that experience which is fine because I'm not supposed to, it's not for me... much the same as other niche comedians who's target audience I'm not in.

I am female and this kind of "comedy" is exactly why I say women aren't funny. It plays into stereotypical female behavior and thoughts. To me, it's nothing more than a minstrel show. To many women fall back on this for their acts because they think that's what their audience wants to hear but it's just laziness. It's easy to joke about a husband who won't take out the trash and crazy periods instead of putting some thought into what might be humorous to everyone, regardless of gender.

I agree on a lot of those points but I also can see that if you're a minority voice then aiming for your peers is a wise move and one that a lot of stand-ups who aren't straight, white males in their 20s and 30s make however that doesn't make them 'not funny'.  Lazy and safe probably but they're funny to their target audience, I'm just not in that audience.

Anyway, I understand your point.  I was mostly trying to clarify why I don't think I get the Marx Brothers and started rambling.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:45:33 AM by @ScottOTD »
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)