login

Author Topic: Do YOU have any movie squicks?  (Read 4843 times)

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 125
  • Psychedelic Cat Furniture
    • Choronzon
Re: Do YOU have any movie squicks?
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2012, 10:38:38 AM »
So, we've gone from "is this normal"? to "anyone who doesn't react that that is weird" pretty quickly

That is one reason I think it's important to ponder this.  It's important to understand one's own personal reasons for reacting or not reacting to filmic animal torture and death (particularly pet death, since pets are often viewed as "one of the family".)

When I started the thread I merely wanted to know if I was as weird as I thought I was and it surprised me, in a way that was very "healthifying" to my mind - to find I was not the only one who squicked at such things.  But it also helped me realize the whys and wherefores of these feelings.  And that also helped me.

I want to put a "like" on every name that chose to post on this thread for that reason. But that would look silly and insincere. So just take it as intended in the way I've expressed it. And again...thank you. :D
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2012, 06:51:16 AM »
I didn't mean to offend or attack anyone I was just trying to explain why in some movies the deaths of animals don't bother me,sorry if I derailed the thread.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2012, 10:36:58 AM »
I didn't mean to offend or attack anyone I was just trying to explain why in some movies the deaths of animals don't bother me,sorry if I derailed the thread.

I don't think you derailed the thread at all; I wanted to know the feelings everyone had including those people who don't feel squicked.  Please, no apology necessary...but thanks for caring. :)
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9931
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2012, 10:43:57 AM »
Yeah no one's offended Doc, just saying the point of the thread is "I react to films in this way and here's why" not "your reaction is stupid/lame/evil",

"I" statements all the way basically. :)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2012, 10:17:53 PM »
I just touched on something in another thread, and it reminded me that I have serious issues with plane crash scenes. I have a pretty bad phobia of flying, including recurring nightmares of falling out of the night sky, strapped into my seat in a broken-in-half fuselage. I flew quite a bit for my previous job, and I would start getting the nightmares about a week before I was supposed to fly, every time. I'm not one of those outwardly nervous flyers, but it's a bit a rough ride psychologically.

Anyway, crash scenes along the lines of Castaway, LOST, Fearless, Final Destination, and Knowing are pretty excruciating to watch. It's like my worst fear graphically depicted in all its terrifying sights and sounds. And those kind of scenes tend to really stick with me for a while.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2012, 11:19:30 PM »
I just touched on something in another thread, and it reminded me that I have serious issues with plane crash scenes. I have a pretty bad phobia of flying, including recurring nightmares of falling out of the night sky, strapped into my seat in a broken-in-half fuselage. I flew quite a bit for my previous job, and I would start getting the nightmares about a week before I was supposed to fly, every time. I'm not one of those outwardly nervous flyers, but it's a bit a rough ride psychologically.

Anyway, crash scenes along the lines of Castaway, LOST, Fearless, Final Destination, and Knowing are pretty excruciating to watch. It's like my worst fear graphically depicted in all its terrifying sights and sounds. And those kind of scenes tend to really stick with me for a while.

The shot-out windows scene that made a crash seem imminent in Snakes on a Plane was far scarier to me than the snakes!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5476
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2012, 05:59:38 AM »

The shot-out windows scene that made a crash seem imminent in Snakes on a Plane was far scarier to me than the snakes!
Maybe because it wasn't shitty CGI?

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2012, 03:49:29 PM »

Maybe because it wasn't shitty CGI?

Probably more because I like snakes a lot.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 738
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2012, 05:21:16 PM »
I can't stand anything with the EYE. Any kind of eye-horror makes me wince.  Audition, Opera, Dead and Buried... who boy.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2012, 05:50:12 PM »
I can't stand anything with the EYE. Any kind of eye-horror makes me wince.  Audition, Opera, Dead and Buried... who boy.

Don't EVER watch An Andalusian Dog. (I can't spell the damn thing in Spanish.)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9931
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2012, 05:56:05 PM »
Un Chien Andalou the granddaddy of them all, was about to post about it but you beat me to it. :)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5476
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »
My big thing is mouths. Whenever a character has really wierd teeth or screwed up mouth, particularly with sharklike teeth, that just messes me up. The Devil's Advocate isn't that good of a movie, but it sure fucked me up royally. Same thing with the Christmas episode of Tales From the Crypt 'And All Through The House'.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2379
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2012, 11:20:40 AM »
My big thing is mouths. Whenever a character has really wierd teeth or screwed up mouth, particularly with sharklike teeth, that just messes me up. The Devil's Advocate isn't that good of a movie, but it sure fucked me up royally. Same thing with the Christmas episode of Tales From the Crypt 'And All Through The House'.

Things like that don't have that effect on me, but if it's a bad CG effect, it annoys me more than most bad CG does.  Something about lazily deforming the mouth for a cheap scare just ticks me off through its overuse.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing