login

Author Topic: Do YOU have any movie squicks?  (Read 4889 times)

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 126
  • Psychedelic Cat Furniture
    • Choronzon
Do YOU have any movie squicks?
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:02:31 PM »
If you've read enough posts from me you know I have this sort of immature-ish negative reaction to movies that depict, or even reference, people harming or killing cats - and I don't like the gags about drowning cats or doing other horrible things to them that appear with disturbing regularity in RiffTrax.  (That said, it doesn't keep me from buying them, and if I publically reveal how much money I spent here this month you'd think I was off my bean.)

I also don't go for a particular breed of horror film that originated with movies like Deliverance and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and is now very popular - the fact that there were what, six or seven Saw movies is evidence of this, but there were also a zillion other films like this. (Hostel 2 was one I had to shut off midway through for reasons having nothing to do with felines.) Horror movies don't always squick me.  It's the ones where some deranged killer or gang of killers tortures people in gruesome "imaginative" ways, seeming to be motivated only by the desire to watch someone die slowly from unbelievably painful, weird, and psychologically bewildering methods.  I think these films likely could influence the behaviour of the already-deranged, so that's probably why I find them bothersome. The cat-death squickage thing is probably most bothersome to me because I am very aware that it DOES happen and isn't considered felonious in most jurisdictions because "it's just cats". Cats are far more empathic and intelligent than most people give them credit for, though.  I won't go into how I know this here, as it's sort of off-topic.  Suffice it to say I know from multiple examples, up close and personal.

When I'm bothered by a movie, the "MST3K Mantra" usually chills me out ("Just Repeat To Yourself It's Just a Show, I Should Really Just Relax!") I'm not nightmare prone at all. Ironically, the only cat-death squick-scene that led to an actual nightmare for me was in a book, not a movie - a Jean Genet book I read about fifteen years ago - or read half of, up to the scene in question.  The next morning, after I woke from the awful dream and spent a long, long time hugging the cat I had back then, I took that damned paperback, tossed it in a huge metal salad bowl page by page and struck a match to it, as a ritual cleansing to the noggin.

I've never done a Fahrenheit 451 number on a book before - it runs against my general philosophies - and I never did one after that, but that scene was worse than anything from any movie. (The rest of the book wasn't exactly undisturbing either.) Good thing it wasn't a library book.  :-[

Does anyone else has any particular thing that squicks or bothers them when seen depicted in film or literature?  Surely I'm not the only one.  Or am I? (Now that WOULD be scary.)  :gouge:
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Re: Do YOU have any movie squicks?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 10:13:35 PM »
I just have one thing to say to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

NOT FUCKING COOL, MOVIE!!!   :'(  :angry:
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 10:20:14 PM »
THAT film - the remake, that is - had
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a wonder I got through it without shutting it off.
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 10:22:42 PM »
I also have big problems with animals being hurt, I almost stopped reading Kavalier and Clay around the time of the improvised plane repairs.

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 05:18:44 AM »
Now I can take some gore or if it is a joke like in Evil Dead 2 or Hot Fuzz but but movies that have lots of shots of gore or that show people throwing up I can't stand.  Also I tend to fast forward past sex scenes.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 06:53:06 AM »
Also I tend to fast forward past sex scenes.

I didn't used to do that when I was younger but I do now because I get so annoyed that sex scenes are always shown involving people in their 20s as if to remind me, as someone who will be 47 this year, that my sex days were over long ago.  This is something it took me a long time to get over and I finally DID get over it, for the most part, but the reminders aren't particularly appreciated.  Not exactly a "squick" for me but depressing.

(Though if it goes on forever, the "downright boring" factor sometimes works in reverse, and suggests to me maybe I'm not missing all that much... :)  )

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 06:57:42 AM »
Animals being hurt bothers me, too. I always have to look away from Game of Thrones when that possibility arises, but I have no problem merrily watching on as the top of some guy's head gets sliced off.

I used to have a huge problem with gore and violence. I'm still not thrilled with it, but watching movies with APGIL has inured me to it. In my early adulthood (and probably into my thirties, when my kids were little) I couldn't watch movies where children were hurt or lured into a bad situation. I remember I couldn't watch Bram Stoker's Dracula because of a scene where someone was taking an innocent little girl to the vampire's tomb.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 07:01:04 AM »

I used to have a huge problem with gore and violence. I'm still not thrilled with it, but watching movies with APGIL has inured me to it.

What is APGIL?

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 07:03:35 AM »
APGIL is my husband. That's short for "a pretty girl is like", which is his name here on the forum.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 07:24:02 AM »
Also I tend to fast forward past sex scenes.

I didn't used to do that when I was younger but I do now because I get so annoyed that sex scenes are always shown involving people in their 20s
You might want to watch Wah-Wah, a movie the doc here couldn't make it through due to the sex scene right at the beginning, it features the gloriously forty-something Miranda Richardson playing away quite enthusiastically. Not the best movie, but not one that merely features rumpy-pumpy amongst the barely out of their teens. And rightly so. :)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 12:14:17 PM »
I actually just watched Pet Sematary 2 for the first time last night, and was uncomfortable in many places when cats and one dog were threatened or hurt or dismembered. Also, a scene where a guy got part of his throat ripped out made me look away. Always been squeamish about throat related violence. For some reason I can watch all manner of shooting or stabbing or slashing in a horror or action movie, but seeing someone get choked by hand, or garoted, or have their throat cut or torn makes me sick to my stomach and I usually look away. It's to the point if it happens in a movie while my wife and I are both watching she'll sometimes cover my eyes.

Strangely enough, I had no trouble watching Sweeny Todd though. I guess the blood seemed so over the top that it didn't seem real enough to bother me.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Invader_quirk

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 01:11:44 PM »
Animal violence in movies, especially for "humor" (I'm looking at you, Brothers Grimm, you piece of SHIT), are unacceptable to me. I immediately think about what the hell is wrong with the writer and director that think this is entertaining. The idea of somebody not being horrified by the idea is horrifying to me.

I also generally don't watch sex scenes. If it's short and merely implies sex, that's fine. As far as I'm concerned, that's a person's personal business, acting or not.

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 01:58:31 PM »
Animal violence in movies, especially for "humor" (I'm looking at you, Brothers Grimm, you piece of SHIT), are unacceptable to me. I immediately think about what the hell is wrong with the writer and director that think this is entertaining. The idea of somebody not being horrified by the idea is horrifying to me.

I also generally don't watch sex scenes. If it's short and merely implies sex, that's fine. As far as I'm concerned, that's a person's personal business, acting or not.

Yeah I don't need to see every detail of the heroes boinking.  Also it very rarely does anything to move the plot forward so 9 times out of 10 it is just wasted screen time if you ask me.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline Starman!

• Liked: 359
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 02:21:24 PM »
Animals getting hurt bothers me, as well as women getting hit and abused. Rape is especially bad (Dragon Tattoo wasn't that bad for me because of Lisbeth's revenge). Violent, drunk rednecks that attempt to seriously hurt someone also bother me (even in Forrest Gump even though we don't see anything happen to Jenny from her father.)

Throat slashing tends to bug me sometimes too.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 02:24:01 PM »
I forgot throat stuff. I suddenly become very conscious of my throat and have to cover it up.