Author Topic: Not watching advertisements a crime?  (Read 2895 times)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
Re: Not watching adds a crime?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 03:50:18 PM »
What crime is being added by not watching?

By not watching, the crime of not watching is being added to your permanent record (the secret one the government is keeping on your viewing habits).

The secret underground government considers not watching a crime, although they won't publicly admit this.  I, for one, am shocked... SHOCKED... that they haven't shut this thread down, really.

Just watch.  Because not watching will add the crime of "not watching" to your record.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

MontyServo

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 03:53:58 PM »
Just watch.  Because not watching will add the crime of "not watching" to your record.

I think this was the original tagline for the Watchmen movie.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 06:30:21 PM »
What crime is being added by not watching?

I'm pretty sure I saw this episode of Batman...

Offline AMKR

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 7
  • Source Aura
    • Aeons Old - SoundCloud
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 12:32:33 PM »
I completely agree with the arguments made in the comments on that link, pointing out that people have to PAY to even WATCH television, one guy stating he pays 1800$ a year.  Maybe they should pay US to watch the commercials...

:grr: Couldn't agree more.  The precedent usually is ALL THE ANNOYING BS GOES AWAY WHEN YOU PAY not the other way around. Just another reason to not turn on the television. Downloadable content and DVD/Blu Ray all the way. There is absolutely no reason to bother with it, there haven't been more than one decent *at best* television show on in years IMO. TV died as a viable medium in the early 2000s. Its all a store bought, cookie cutter assembly line.

All the truly interesting and outside of the box thinking is going straight to DVD anyway.
Source Auras - AMKR & Josh Grooves.

Soundcloud.com/aeonsold (now broken up, working on new project Source Auras currently - all old material)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
Re: Not watching advertisements a crime?
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 12:39:33 PM »
Its all a store bought, cookie cutter assembly line.

You're all store bought, cookie cutter assembly line, man... We're all sheep led to the slaughter, man... Ya gotta live in the NOW, man... Because all of this, man... all this war and poverty, man... It's all due to the wealthy Federal Government putting hormones in our chicken, man.  It's all gonna go away when we die... Ashes to ashes, man. Gotta live in the NOW.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline AMKR

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Source Aura
    • Aeons Old - SoundCloud
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 12:41:48 PM »
I'll never pay for cable or satellite. The shows are trash and there are just as many, if not more, ads. Is this make sense? Consumers no longer have to take this BS and have pulled away so far in the other direction that now just about the only choice distributors have is to alter their business model.
That's not entirely true.  Breaking Bad, for example, is a cable show.  The premium channels (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz etc.,) have had some critically acclaimed, quality shows.

Ehh, I would beg to differ.  Never seen breaking bad, so I can't comment, but that's all opinion. HBO/Starz/etc don't even have commercials during their shows, only after - to inform you of whats coming soon or later in the night.

But look at Dexter. The books are fantastic still, as they stuck to Dexter's modus operandi, and archetype. He can change and learn from things, but it's difficult. But in Season 5, they cop out on dealing with the dead wife by jumping a month and it turns into a semi-religious (that's just.....not Dexter) debate and he gets a BJ at the prom? I mean wtf. It didn't even look like Micheal C. Hall enjoyed playing his part that season, way less into his performance. Maybe that's just me haha /endrant.

Soundcloud.com/aeonsold (now broken up, working on new project Source Auras currently - all old material)

Offline AMKR

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Source Aura
    • Aeons Old - SoundCloud
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 12:42:50 PM »

You're all store bought, cookie cutter assembly line, man... We're all sheep led to the slaughter, man... Ya gotta live in the NOW, man... Because all of this, man... all this war and poverty, man... It's all due to the wealthy Federal Government putting hormones in our chicken, man.  It's all gonna go away when we die... Ashes to ashes, man. Gotta live in the NOW.
Word brooough. heh huh! ;D

Can't let me wax poetic maaaan?! Made me chuckle, not mad - Nice try though.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 12:49:45 PM »

Word brooough. heh huh! ;D

Can't let me wax poetic maaaan?! Made me chuckle, not mad - Nice try though.

Oh I never try to make people mad, just laugh... Normally, that just tends to make them mad anyways.

Mad as a HATTER! WOOO!!! WHITNEY!!!

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 09:40:17 PM »
I completely agree with the arguments made in the comments on that link, pointing out that people have to PAY to even WATCH television, one guy stating he pays 1800$ a year.  Maybe they should pay US to watch the commercials...

:grr: Couldn't agree more.  The precedent usually is ALL THE ANNOYING BS GOES AWAY WHEN YOU PAY not the other way around. Just another reason to not turn on the television. Downloadable content and DVD/Blu Ray all the way. There is absolutely no reason to bother with it, there haven't been more than one decent *at best* television show on in years IMO. TV died as a viable medium in the early 2000s. Its all a store bought, cookie cutter assembly line.

That couldn't be less true. This is the golden age of television. Even in past eras where there were GREAT television shows, the nature of the TV market guaranteed there were never more than a handful at a time; the sheer depth and scope of quality shows we have available to us now is breathtaking (and here's a hard pill to swallow: You know what pays for it all? Reality television. But that's a conversation for another time).

If you don't wanna see advertising, wait for the DVDs. But peddling the "TV is a wasteland" line is a douchey affectation, and doesn't bear the weight of even the slightest scrutiny.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 10:03:04 PM »
That couldn't be less true. This is the golden age of television. Even in past eras where there were GREAT television shows, the nature of the TV market guaranteed there were never more than a handful at a time; the sheer depth and scope of quality shows we have available to us now is breathtaking (and here's a hard pill to swallow: You know what pays for it all? Reality television. But that's a conversation for another time).

I think "reality television" needs to be in the thesaurus as a synonym for "necessary evil".

Actually, reality TV became a lot more bearable when I realized that I didn't have to watch it.  I think the only reality shows I ever got into were the first season of Survivor, the first 2 seasons of American Idol, Murder in Smalltown X, and Boot Camp.  I liked Boot Camp.  I wish they'd done more than one season.  Also I wish they hadn't cast two people both named "Moretti".  That got real confusing.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 09:01:20 PM »
BTW, AutoHop is amaaaaaazing.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien