login

Author Topic: Not watching advertisements a crime?  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
Not watching advertisements a crime?
« on: May 27, 2012, 10:39:51 PM »
http://now.msn.com/entertainment/0527-skipping-commercials-illegal.aspx

So what are they going to throw everyone who doesn't watch adds in jail.  Also if we can be forced to watch the adds then shouldn't the networks be forced to pay us back for our time if an episode of a TV show that we were forced to watch the adds for is bad and makes no sense?  I mean shouldn't we then get some sort of direct control over the contents of the shows we are being forced to watch adds during?

Oh and how will this not just drive more people to renting DvDs or downloading the episodes off of the internet and how on earth do they plan to enforce this law with out spying on people?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:55:19 PM by Smith Dr John Smith »
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: Not watching adds a crime?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 12:57:38 AM »
Don't worry about stuff like this. At worst it'll tie up a court for far too long before getting tossed out and forgotten.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Danecho1967

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 02:28:08 AM »
The article is especially hilarious for those of us old enough to remember getting up at the start of the commercial to get a drink or use the restroom, having developed an uncanny sense of timing that allowed us to return to the TV room just as the show came back on.  Later, when remotely controllable TVs fell in price enough that everyone had them, we learned to channel surf during commercials, or just use the mute button and interact with our families.  Then, along came the VCR, which allowed us to record television when we weren't at home, or while we were watching something else.  Natural progression brought us to the DVR, which does the same thing, but eliminates the physical media. Added bonus: fast forwarding through commercials.  Damn, I love technology.

I guess the two points I'm making are these:  First, that we've never really watched commercials anyway, and second, that auto hop just does for us what we've already been doing.

Re: Not watching advertisements a crime?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 06:36:22 AM »
The article is especially hilarious for those of us old enough to remember getting up at the start of the commercial to get a drink or use the restroom, having developed an uncanny sense of timing that allowed us to return to the TV room just as the show came back on.  Later, when remotely controllable TVs fell in price enough that everyone had them, we learned to channel surf during commercials, or just use the mute button and interact with our families.  Then, along came the VCR, which allowed us to record television when we weren't at home, or while we were watching something else.  Natural progression brought us to the DVR, which does the same thing, but eliminates the physical media. Added bonus: fast forwarding through commercials.  Damn, I love technology.

I guess the two points I'm making are these:  First, that we've never really watched commercials anyway, and second, that auto hop just does for us what we've already been doing.

I know I have stopped watching Tv live since my VCR and DVR broke down a year or two ago.  I just don't see the point when normally the boxset comes out a few weeks after the season ends and I can just rent that off of Netflix and not deal with adds.  The last show I watched live was The Good Guys and fox canceled it after about 12 episodes and sadly has not put it on DvD yet.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:56:00 PM by Smith Dr John Smith »
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 09:38:49 AM »
To me it depends on the ad. Some are clever and amusing, most are dull and mindless. The clever ones I like. Hell the new Vince (Slap Chop Guy) one is amusing because he mocks himself in his new ad. I use DVR to skip over the commercials these days. Only when a show is in desperate need of support and the advertising tie in will help save it, will I submit to advertising beckoning call. An example of this was Chuck was in danger of cancellation and Subway had a product placement. Viewers the next day went and ate at subway. Subway saw the benefit of advertising their product directly on the show and it helped the show survive. Product placement was a bit of a gag in the show and was handled well. It kept the show alive.

A bit of this now and then on a show I can be fine with. If it was handled well like on Chuck, then I am fine. Heck do it like on Community and poke fun of the corporation by having a Mr. Subway guy. That was a great joke that the corporation took his life away and made his an around the clock walking advertisement. Do stuff like that.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 09:58:41 AM »
I completely agree with the arguments made in the comments on that link, pointing out that people have to PAY to even WATCH television, one guy stating he pays 1800$ a year.  Maybe they should pay US to watch the commercials...
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 10:01:17 AM »
Commercials rarely bother me, aside from the political ones.  I've just learned that commercial people exist in a different, stupider universe, and I give them leniency.  Like seeing a home for the mentally retarded.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 10:05:28 AM »
I'll never pay for cable or satellite. The shows are trash and there are just as many, if not more, ads. Is this make sense? Consumers no longer have to take this BS and have pulled away so far in the other direction that now just about the only choice distributors have is to alter their business model.

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 11:22:13 AM »
I'll never pay for cable or satellite. The shows are trash and there are just as many, if not more, ads. Is this make sense? Consumers no longer have to take this BS and have pulled away so far in the other direction that now just about the only choice distributors have is to alter their business model.

How much you want to bet that they are instead just going to do what the music companies did and try to sue people to force them to use their out dated business model and tech?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:56:42 PM by Smith Dr John Smith »
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »

How much you want to bet that they are instead just going to do what the music companies did and try to sue people to force them to use their out dated business model and tech?
Music companies have a legitimate legal grievance though.  You can debate whether you think it's tasteless to sue a teenager over downloading a song, but the fact remains that objectively, it is as illegal as shoplifting.

There's nothing close to that on the books that says you have to pay for cable services.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »
That's not entirely true.  Breaking Bad, for example, is a cable show.  The premium channels (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz etc.,) have had some critically acclaimed, quality shows.

Still, if you hear about something great through word of mouth, you can buy/rent the DVDs later and sometimes watch on-demand.  So I guess your point still stands that cable just isn't worth the money.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 02:21:54 PM »
I'm reminded of the Simpsons where Marge had a dream that made her feel guilty for skipping the commercials, so she spent the next day skipping the shows and watching only the commercials.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 02:44:29 PM »
Just click those little "You can skip to video in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1.. SKIP AD!" things on my YouTube channel to watch the video and not feel guilty ;D

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 02:26:24 PM »
What I find funny is that all the networks are owned by Hollywood studios and they make tons of movies and tv show episodes every year about how greed and invading people's privacy is bad and yet I can't think of anything more greedy or invading of people's privacy then this.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:57:38 PM by Smith Dr John Smith »
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 02:34:46 PM »
To what are we adding a crime?

exhibitionism.
dF = 0
d*F = J