login

Author Topic: Banned Books  (Read 895 times)

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
Banned Books
« on: May 26, 2012, 10:23:15 AM »
My local library banned "50 Shades of Gray"

Yes, it is graphic, but they've been banning a lot of books lately.  Which I think is wrong.  I'm the type of person that if I hear a book has been banned I have to read it.  We should have the right to read what we choose to read.

I remember when I worked at this library we would get groups of people protesting books.  Once, a church group showed up protesting Harry Potter.  None of them had even read the book, they heard it was bad.  I told them that they should read the book before judging it.  That I didn't see anything wrong, it was just the classic story of good vs. evil with good winning out.

If you're interested, here is a link to a nice website talking about this important subject

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/banned/bannedbooksweek
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Banned Books
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 11:18:32 AM »
I love banned books week, I find the resons for a given books banning is actually more fascinating than the book itself.

I also, being Libertine, find the concept of immoral art fascinating, Ann and I were talking about how, if our minuscule influence on the arts in Detroit ever grew we'd like to do a festival of Degenerate Art that encompassed the Institute of Arts (for visual art), The Opera House (for Salome and similar) and the Symphony (for all the compositions deemed Degenerate by the Nazis and the like). :)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
Re: Banned Books
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 03:23:13 PM »
  Once, a church group showed up protesting Harry Potter.  None of them had even read the book, they heard it was bad. 

If they thought for themselves and used a little reason they probably wouldn't be part of a church group in the first place.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.