login

Author Topic: Cracked magazine is no more  (Read 3845 times)

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
Cracked magazine is no more
« on: March 03, 2007, 05:55:02 PM »
   According to cracked.com, it's three issues and gone for the new Cracked magazine,  demonstrating the difficulty of the mag biz.  So that's one less place to see a regular column by one Michael J. Nelson.
   I went to Borders to find my copies, finding them stuck in the back of the bottom section which led me to restock a few copies in a more visible position.  I'd hate to know the sell-through rates on mags in there but at least you don't have to see all the dog-eared copies from the cheap bastards who would mangle the mags while they read them for free and put them back.   It seems like both Borders and Barnes & Noble have cut back on the seating in their stores to help get rid of the riff-raff.
    Anyhow,  the Cracked website is still there with an interesting all-comedy clips radio station and plenty of links to funny videos, so check it out while it still exists.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
Re: Cracked magazine is no more
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 06:50:07 PM »
That sucks. The new edition of the magazine was hilarious - it made my trip from NY over winter break that much more enjoyable.

And yet, somehow, the incredibly unfunny MAD magazine still survives... because places carry it. I can't find a Cracked magazine anywhere near me except for the huge Borders store. That's why it got killed.

Offline homerjayla

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • Rich in heady goodness!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 08:13:04 PM »
I hate Cracked, Mad is 100% better.
Global warming, where?

Offline Laziest Man on Mars

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • "Cut it out, I can't fake laugh anymore!"
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 08:35:50 PM »
Cracked?  Hasn't been good since they got rid of "Spies Versus Sabs

Mad?  Get the DVD rom collection here and re-live the Glory Days... Before they started putting ads in it: http://www.amazon.com/Absolutely-MAD-Magazine-50%2B-Years/dp/B000HKMQ64/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-1563419-1348023?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1172982605&sr=8-1

But neither of those hold a candle to CRAZY! magazine.  Here's the wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_%28magazine%29

Actually MAD and Cracked were the only comics I ever read when I was a kid.
Oh Good, Shim was Joe Elic.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 08:58:37 PM »

I admit, Cracked used to suck - it was the poor kid's MAD. But did you see it with the Mike Nelson columns? The newly-revamped edition was far superior to the old Cracked... Still not high brow humor by any means, but it brought many a good chuckle.

Laziest - Crazy! sounds pretty funny. Wish I could find some archives or old back issues.

Offline Dim of the Yard

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • Do the Servo Swivel!
    • Dim's Twitter Page
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 09:10:53 PM »
I thought it was rather odd when the website began to recycle the content from the magazines.  Would have bought myself a subscription, had I had the money, but I'll have to make do without.  (Won't be that hard, really.)

Offline Laziest Man on Mars

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • "Cut it out, I can't fake laugh anymore!"
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 09:12:40 PM »
Torgo- I was able to find some at a comic books store years ago... here's the listing on EBay for some old issues.

http://books.search.ebay.com/Crazy_Magazine-Back-Issues_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR4QQsacatZ280
Oh Good, Shim was Joe Elic.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 09:28:22 PM »
I thought it was rather odd when the website began to recycle the content from the magazines.  Would have bought myself a subscription, had I had the money, but I'll have to make do without.  (Won't be that hard, really.)

Well I liked the website (which is not going anywhere, hopefully) - it works because it didn't have MUCH content from the magazine, only the occasional article or comic. A lot of it is web finds and interviews, which you can still find elsewhere on other sites.

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 10:03:05 PM »
     I read Mad a lot as a kid, but haven't picked it up in a long time.  That is, until I discovered that they started a spinoff,  Mad for Kids, which got me to take a look at both mags.  Besides adding advertising, the new Mad had a number of writers attempting a more mature type of humor.  I think I would have trouble giving these to my 10-year-old nephews just because some of the pieces would be way over their heads.  But they do enjoy Mad for Kids.  I hope both forms of the mag can hang in there.  It would be very strange to see Mad disappear from magazine racks.

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 09:02:47 PM »

Nice. I love it when someone makes a statement like this without expanding or backing up why they say this.

I guess we'd better take your word for it.  ::)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 10:54:15 PM »
That sucks. I've really enjoyed the new Cracked. I loved the self-help quizzes, like "Are You A Douchebag?" Do you wear the collar of your polo shirt up? Is your cellphone clipped to your belt? Have you initiated a high-five recently? You might be a douchebag. Good stuff.

Maybe I should've, y'know, bought the magazines instead of reading them for free at Barnes & Noble. Sorry, Cracked. My bad.  :-[

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 02:11:43 AM »
That sucks. I also enjoyed the new revitalized Cracked. It bore no relation to the original Cracked, really - it was just an easier launch for various reasons to reuse the name rather than start from scratch. I do think the name worked against it, though.

If they axed it after just three issues the sales must have been worse than abysmal - at levels clearly below half of what they'd projected. I mean, you don't expect a project like that to break even in the first two years, so while a loss must have been factored in, it would have to have been much, much greater than expected.

I've always wanted to start a humor mag (and came very close to pulling it off in the early 90's), but it's really difficult on a multitude of levels, especially these days.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 03:41:47 PM »

I admit, Cracked used to suck - it was the poor kid's MAD. But did you see it with the Mike Nelson columns? The newly-revamped edition was far superior to the old Cracked... Still not high brow humor by any means, but it brought many a good chuckle.

Laziest - Crazy! sounds pretty funny. Wish I could find some archives or old back issues.

Personally I stopped reading either quite a while ago, I kinda liked Mad a little bit more than Cracked, but only marginally.  But here I thought that I knew just about everything that  Mike was doing.....  How long did this start, at the new Cracked's launch, or even futher back?

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 05:46:15 PM »
     Mike had a column on bad funny movies in each of Cracked's three issues.   He used to have an occasional column in TV Guide but I don't think he's had one in there since long before they left the digest format.
    Didn't he also write a column for one of those freebie zines that you could get in certain theater chains? Movieline or something like that.
    He also wrote essays for his own website but those were infrequent.  I would forget to check the site unless mst3kinfo.com would mention something new from him.
    It becomes a measure of whether a one-page essay makes the magazine a must-buy or do I just read his piece at Borders and put the magazine back.   I also like Stephen King's pieces in Entertainment Weekly, but not enough to buy the magazine.

Offline StellarJoe

• Schnappi Supporter
  • The Official RiffTrax 20 Question's Game Breaker
    • Stellar Joe's deviantART
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 11:53:50 PM »
I got all three issues when they came out, just for the Mike Nelson articles alone (however, there were some hilarious articles by others as well.  I liked the Michael Ian Black ones).  I really liked Snob Classics, despite the fact it ridicules 4 films I love (and I haven't even seen Diner).  I'm sad to see it go, actually.  Hopefully, if it ever comes back, it'll be this form again and not back to the pseudo-Mad it once was.
By the way, I was being sarcastic.