Author Topic: Finally took the plunge and published my book on Amazon  (Read 24140 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2617
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Finally took the plunge and published my book on Amazon
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2012, 10:50:07 PM »
 Damn, last 2 nights I sat down to read book 3 for a hour but ended up reading for several hours...  So I've gotten pretty far into it.

I'd say your writing has improved with each book. 

Book one was a bit fractured, but the characters were very interesting.
 Book two had better structure and flow, and still had the very interesting characters.
 Book three everything feels very organic, the characters are like old friends at this point, story moves along nicely so it's hard to put down.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2012, 05:48:26 AM »
Swinging those swords around looks like it would be murder on the wrists for a normal human.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2012, 09:29:55 AM »
Then I want to go to that pizza place!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2012, 12:15:37 PM »
 Now I can't help but think of John Belushi doing a pizza parlor skit with them.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 37
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2012, 08:18:01 PM »
Now I can't help but think of John Belushi doing a pizza parlor skit with them.
This is Edge's-a pizza!
Check out my epic fantasy series, The Bowl of Souls in Kindle and Paperback editions!
http://www.amazon.com/Trevor-H.-Cooley/e/B0083U46CM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2012, 08:19:18 PM »
Damn, last 2 nights I sat down to read book 3 for a hour but ended up reading for several hours...  So I've gotten pretty far into it.

I'd say your writing has improved with each book. 

Book one was a bit fractured, but the characters were very interesting.
 Book two had better structure and flow, and still had the very interesting characters.
 Book three everything feels very organic, the characters are like old friends at this point, story moves along nicely so it's hard to put down.
Thanks Man!

And Sideswipe, that is brought up in the book.
Check out my epic fantasy series, The Bowl of Souls in Kindle and Paperback editions!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2012, 09:36:47 PM »
Finished up book 3, really liked it, put a review up on Amazon.

I see it's up to #44 in epic fantasy, the other 2 are in the 60s.  I take it sales are going well?

This self publishing thing makes me want to start re-writing an old movie script I was working on back in the 90s as a sci-fi novel.  When Independence Day came out and it was similar enough that I gave up on it, but there are plenty of similar books like that movie (my story takes place over a 20 year period).  Would be something constructive to do when my insomnia kicks in bad.  Problem back then was trying to write good dialog, everything else is easy to picture in my head, even the society and technology of the aliens, but coming up with stuff for the characters to say to each other even at the movie script level was torture.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2012, 08:24:03 AM »
Thanks for the review!

The books have been doing pretty well. Last month was really good, I sold over 1000 copies of each of the first two books. Numbers on the first two have been dipping the last week or so and yesterday was really slow but I'm hoping that the third books gathers enough interest to bring them back up again.

I'm not a very good promoter and I don't have a lot of time or money to invest in it, so I am relying mainly on word of mouth to keep things going.

As far as your script idea, write it. There is no such thing as a completely original idea anymore. someone has thought of something similar. It the personality of the work, how you put it together that is important.
Dialogue can be tricky. It's easier for some and harder for others. My brother is in film school and he's a good big picture guy, he comes up with cool and catchy ideas, but he isn't good at dialogue.

Just write it. Finish it. then edit the heck out of it.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2012, 04:08:43 PM »
Geez, a thousand copies each? I gotta get a digital version of my comic for sale online.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2012, 05:13:19 PM »
Geez, a thousand copies each? I gotta get a digital version of my comic for sale online.
Yeah, I have been pretty pumped about it. Now I need to write this fourth book and get it out there to keep momentum going, but it may take a while.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2012, 11:16:08 AM »
Hey guys, I just put out another book in the Bowl of Souls series
http://www.amazon.com/Hilts-Pride-Souls-Novella-ebook/dp/B00ANZK75K/ref=la_B0083U46CM_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1355593317&sr=1-4

This is a stand alone story and can be read apart from or along with the rest of the series. This story contains no spoilers to the rest of the series, but but it does contain a lot of information that enhances the backgrounds of several characters including revealing previously untold information about Jhonate's past and the history of her people.

The events in Hilt’s Pride take place just after Hilt leaves Justan at the Training School part way through Bowl of Souls: Book One.

This has been a crazy year. Last December I would have had no idea I would have four books out by Christmas 2012

The Bowl of Souls series:
Book One: Eye of the Moonrat
Hilt's Pride
Book Two: Messenger of the Dark Prophet
Book Three: Hunt of the Bandham
Book Four: The War of Stardeon (Upcoming 2013)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2012, 03:38:05 PM »
Cool, looks interesting.  Looking forward to reading more about Jhonate.

How's book 4 coming along?

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2012, 06:10:43 PM »
If so, I may have to try my hand at it.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2012, 09:57:45 AM »
Cool, looks interesting.  Looking forward to reading more about Jhonate.

How's book 4 coming along?

Book 4 had been creeping along with family stuff going on, but writing Hilt's Pride rejuvenated me and I am back on it full bore.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2012, 10:08:24 AM »
So is it paying the bills yet, this being a writer thing?
It has been a bit of a rollercoaster. The first book was selling fairly slow for the first month, but when I put out book two, it started gaining momentum. It was selling quite well by the time I was ready to release the third. When book three hit, sales went through the roof. My wife was able to quit her job (It was part time but until the book sales grew we really needed it.)

They wer selling so hot it September and October that I was thinking I might be able to quit my day job. But sales started declining in November and this month has been horrible. I made a mistake and ran a week long free promotion on the first book in mid-November. It was downloaded 2000 times in that period, which was exciting, but Amazon sees that as a week without a paid sale and when the book came back as .99 again, it had fallen off all the ranking charts. It lost its visibility.

I had hoped that the other two books would gain purchases from the free downloads, but the thing with free books is there is no pressure to read them. Sometimes they sit on your Kindle forever. You are going to read the ones you pay for first.

I have been hoping that the release of this new book will rejuvenate things.