Author Topic: Finally took the plunge and published my book on Amazon  (Read 23366 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2545
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Finally took the plunge and published my book on Amazon
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2012, 10:18:54 AM »
I made a mistake and ran a week long free promotion on the first book in mid-November. It was downloaded 2000 times in that period, which was exciting, but Amazon sees that as a week without a paid sale and when the book came back as .99 again, it had fallen off all the ranking charts. It lost its visibility.

Ouch, that's a hard lesson to learn by trial and error.  Do they have a $0.01 option so you can stay on the charts?

You are right about stuff sitting on the Kindle, I've got a bunch of previews I haven't gotten around to reading.  I've even got a few books I paid for last year that I haven't started yet.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 37
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2012, 12:11:33 PM »
I made a mistake and ran a week long free promotion on the first book in mid-November. It was downloaded 2000 times in that period, which was exciting, but Amazon sees that as a week without a paid sale and when the book came back as .99 again, it had fallen off all the ranking charts. It lost its visibility.

Ouch, that's a hard lesson to learn by trial and error.  Do they have a $0.01 option so you can stay on the charts?

You are right about stuff sitting on the Kindle, I've got a bunch of previews I haven't gotten around to reading.  I've even got a few books I paid for last year that I haven't started yet.
They have a .99 minimum.
I learned that Free Promotions are best when done for just a day so that the book doesn't have the chance to fall off the charts completely.

I also found out that when your book is high on the free charts for a while, people see it and aren't as inclined to pay for it later if they passed it by the first time.

Hard lesson indeed.
Check out my epic fantasy series, The Bowl of Souls in Kindle and Paperback editions!
http://www.amazon.com/Trevor-H.-Cooley/e/B0083U46CM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2012, 03:02:25 PM »
Shame to hear it had fallen off the charts, but that's amazing that you got close to being able to do it full-time.

But, writing books are like making iRiffs...if you stop making new ones, people stop showing up.  People always want something fresh and new, especially from people whose work they've grown to appreciate.  I love going back and reading Terry Pratchett's old stuff, but I always like seeing a new book show up on the shelf, now with his health issues more than ever.

Good luck on the novella and the work on Book 4...I'm still sitting at about 3/4ths of the way through the eBook I was planning on putting up myself (I get this way when I get this far in anything I write and begin to doubt if my work is any good), but I'm glad to know you're getting a good amount of traffic.

And I'm working on Book 2 still.  It's on my phone and I only get so many chances in a day to open up my Kindle app.  Fingers crossed for a tablet of some kind this Christmas, though, which will make my eBook ventures a lot more interesting.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2012, 10:46:32 AM »
Shame to hear it had fallen off the charts, but that's amazing that you got close to being able to do it full-time.

But, writing books are like making iRiffs...if you stop making new ones, people stop showing up.  People always want something fresh and new, especially from people whose work they've grown to appreciate.  I love going back and reading Terry Pratchett's old stuff, but I always like seeing a new book show up on the shelf, now with his health issues more than ever.

Good luck on the novella and the work on Book 4...I'm still sitting at about 3/4ths of the way through the eBook I was planning on putting up myself (I get this way when I get this far in anything I write and begin to doubt if my work is any good), but I'm glad to know you're getting a good amount of traffic.

And I'm working on Book 2 still.  It's on my phone and I only get so many chances in a day to open up my Kindle app.  Fingers crossed for a tablet of some kind this Christmas, though, which will make my eBook ventures a lot more interesting.

Thanks for the support. Let me know when you ebook comes out. I'll give it a read.

I agree with you. The best way to sell books is to keep putting books out. I am hoping that by the time I finish book Five, this will be my full time job. Time will tell.  Also let me know when you finish the second book. I'd like to hear your input!
Check out my epic fantasy series, The Bowl of Souls in Kindle and Paperback editions!

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2013, 11:00:29 AM »
I was getting some feedback from readers that said they almost didn't buy the first book because of the cover. I bit the bullet and hired a professional to redo it. What do you think?

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2013, 01:13:25 PM »
I agree.  The main title font and author name look great, but the subtitle does look tacked on...not awful or anything, but it looks a little out of place compared to the other fonts.  Cover art looks fantastic, though.  Worth every penny, in my opinion.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2013, 01:30:19 PM »
Thanks, guys. I asked her about that and she felt that the new lettering scheme gave the book a more modern feel. I am a writer, not a designer, so I took her suggestion. Then I went and updated the covers to the other three books so that they would look more cohesive with the new font change. What do you guys think of these?

Also for those curious, I started a twitter account called @lennyswears that is just daily quotes from Lenny's diary. and I have a new website trevorhcooley.com

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2013, 02:10:48 PM »
You are correct. She used a font called Trajan Pro. It comes with photoshop but I am using a free software called paint.net and the closest thing it has is a font called Palantino Linotype and that is what I used for the others. 

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2013, 06:04:39 PM »
I was getting some feedback from readers that said they almost didn't buy the first book because of the cover. I bit the bullet and hired a professional to redo it. What do you think?

Oh, NICE.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2545
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2013, 06:09:59 PM »
Yeah, that is a nice image, just the right amount of creepy.  I picture them even more ugly than that but for a cover that's pretty good.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2013, 09:06:51 PM »
I agree, Marty. I think she did a great job of giving it that spooky atmosphere without making people think it was a horror novel.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2013, 08:16:44 PM »

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2013, 08:42:36 PM »
Good for you, man.  I got a laugh though, when they compared it to the Lord of the Rings.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2013, 08:46:50 PM »
Yeah, LOL. That wasn't my suggestion. It was also their idea to headline it as a way for families to make money in economic hard times.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2013, 08:52:44 PM »
It's free publicity though, cant beat that!  I have finally been convinced myself to give it a try.  So I will be picking up a copy for my kindle soon.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.