login

Author Topic: Finally took the plunge and published my book on Amazon  (Read 19211 times)

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 37
    • Trevor H. Cooley
Re: Finally took the plunge and published my book on Amazon
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 01:14:20 PM »

My book arrived today!
Check out my epic fantasy series, The Bowl of Souls in Kindle and Paperback editions!
http://www.amazon.com/Trevor-H.-Cooley/e/B0083U46CM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 193
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 08:08:42 PM »
Nice!  Didn't even notice you had a print version yet...I'm about 70% of the way through (I really only get time to Kindle-Phone read during breaks at work), and so far I'm enjoying it.  Again, formatting issues, possibly due to the app itself, crop up, as do a few spelling errors and things, but I do find it a pleasant read.

If anything, be encouraged that your enthusiasm made me put aside my monstrous. many paged tome for a bit in order to write a much smaller novella I plan on putting up on Amazon, to get feedback if nothing else.  The big one was getting depressing enough that I needed to write something lighthearted in tone to take edge off.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 10:01:22 PM »
Thanks for reading! I do notice that there are some format issues with the kindle version depending on what hardware you are using. On the kindle fire and on my regular kindle, it looks great, but some people have complained of issues with font changing every once in a while or things like asterisks and chapter headings appearing off line, mainly in the phone apps.

I am attempting to see if that is something that can be fixed with book two and I am also revising the format of the first book on Kindle to make it easier for new readers!

Please let me know what you think when you reach the end! And when you get your own book out there let me know and I will take a stab at it!

EDIT: I just discovered that several of the updates I made did not take. I just now uploaded a new version a few moments ago that should fix all those formatting and the few grammatical errors that snuck their way past us when it was first uploaded. You can request Kindle to force the current version of the file onto your device without having to purchase it again.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:21:37 PM by Edgewriter »
Check out my epic fantasy series, The Bowl of Souls in Kindle and Paperback editions!

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 249
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 10:51:23 PM »
Cool! Just bought it. I don't know when I'll get to it, but I promise to leave a review when I do.  :)

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2012, 12:02:53 AM »
Thanks! Looking forward to your thoughts!

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2012, 08:08:21 PM »
Here is a possible book two cover. What do you think?

I hired a lady well over a month ago to design a cover for my book. I was starting to wonder if she was going to do it when she sent me this photo of her progress. I added lettering to it.

I think it's pretty impressive and she isn't even finished yet. But she didn't read the relevant chapters and she got several things wrong. The look of the plant golem is good but the event showed didn't happen that way. Our hero on the ground wasn't dressed like that. How should I approach it?

Meanwhile my brother who did the cover for the first book is gung-ho to do his own and more accurate version of the cover and his first one turned out so good. Problem I already paid the lady 175.00 several weeks ago.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2012, 08:26:01 PM »
Previews Always Lie. So do book covers.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2051
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2012, 08:27:09 PM »
So the guy on the ground, is he a Hero of Might and Magic?

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2012, 09:16:07 PM »

LOL

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2012, 09:17:51 PM »
Previews Always Lie. So do book covers.
I agree. That is a pet peeve of mine. You see a book, the cover looks cool, and when you are finished reading it's like, that scene on the cover never happened.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2012, 05:48:43 PM »
She sent me the finished version today. Here is what I came up with:

I plan to use this as the cover for the Kindle version until my brother finishes his cover. Then I will put out the print edition and change the cover to the new version.

What do you think?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2012, 08:07:22 PM »
EDIT: I just discovered that several of the updates I made did not take. I just now uploaded a new version a few moments ago that should fix all those formatting and the few grammatical errors that snuck their way past us when it was first uploaded. You can request Kindle to force the current version of the file onto your device without having to purchase it again.

I don't see a way to do this from my devices (Kindle 3 and Fire) or from the product page.  I guess you have to email Amazon?

I'm only about 10% into it, liking it so far.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2012, 09:40:31 PM »
I spoke to Amazon about it and they say it will take up to a week, but they will make it available for previous purchasers to download the updated version. New purchasers get the update already.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2012, 11:16:45 PM »

Crap. I just realized that I am going to have to change the title now. The last thing I need is a bunch of fanboys getting mad thinking that I am trying to use the phrase "Might and magic" to trick people int o buying my book. Then if the game developers decide to get involved, I would have to change it anyway.

What really stinks is that I thought up the book name before I even heard of the games. It is taken from a phrase my character says in the book and sums up the main dilemma for the main character in the book. Is he a warrior or is he a wizard?

I am going over some ideas now.  The obvious change is to call it, "The Edge of Warrior and Wizard" and that still works but doesn't have the same punch. some other ideas were:

The Edge of Mind and Body (Self help book)
The Edge of Vigor and Magic
The Edge of Magic and Muscle
On the Edge of Wizard and Warrior
The Edge of Brain and Brawn (Body Building self help book)

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 193
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
How about, "Between Sword and Summoner?"  If the plant golem got there via summoing, that might might work.  It might be too specific for a type of magic, but you get the alliteration in there, and it avoids Sword & Sorcery, which is an off-brand D&D 3rd Edition book publisher.

You could get "Wizard and Warrior" to work just by itself, or maybe with "Between" or "Both," as in "Both Wizard and Warrior."  Just a thought.

Or get silly.  "For Prestige and Prestidigitation," "Of Courage and Conjuration," or "The Deathclaw Came Down to Georgia," or "All's Bad That Ewzad."  ;) (Sorry, couldn't help myself on those last two.)

Did finish, will be going to Amazon fairly soon to review.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.