General Discussion > Books 'n Readin'

Finally took the plunge and published my book on Amazon

(1/28) > >>

Edgewriter:
After trying to get my book series published for years, (rewriting and editing it dozens of times) I finally went and put my first book on Amazon last week.

It is an epic fantasy called "Eye of the Moonrat" and it is the first book of the Bowl of Souls series.

If any of you guys follow me on twitter, you are already tired of me talking about it. I just thought that since my fellow Rifftraxians are about my favorite people in the world, there is no one I would rather share it with. And I promise that there are no vampires, sparkly or otherwise.

If you are interested, you can check it out at the link below. It is as cheap as they will let me sell it, and there is a free sample chapter you can browse:

http://www.amazon.com/Eye-Moonrat-Bowl-Souls-ebook/dp/B0082V0ZHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337529724&sr=8-1

Hopefully I can get enough downloads to get a major publisher to take interest in the rest of the series. That is the plan at least and it is doing pretty well so far. If you have any feedback I would like to hear from you. feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I will put a brief synopsis below.

--- Quote ---Justan has spent his life growing up on the outskirts of the Dremaldrian Battle Academy. He watched his father ascend the ranks within the academy to become one of the most respected warriors in the kingdom. His one desire is to follow the path of his father and join the ranks of academy students.
His biggest problem? Justan can’t fight. He is highly intelligent and a strategic thinker, but his body is weak and clumsy. Everyone tells him that he is more suited to scholarly work than swordplay. Nevertheless, he hurls himself into training eager to overcome all the doubters and walk into the academy triumphant, unaware that secretive powers plot to disrupt his plans.

Meanwhile, an evil wizard of immense power is quietly raising an army. The wizard uses his magic to take the beasts and creatures of the land and twist their bodies to make them into monsters. There are two dissenters to the wizard’s scheme: an odd ogre named Fist and a dangerous creature who calls himself Deathclaw who was once a dragon but has been transformed by the wizard’s own dark magic.

--- End quote ---

Bob:
Congrats

Edgewriter:
A couple people have been asking me why I bother putting a book out there for 99 cents.

I don't know how much success other people have had trying this method, but as someone who has tried for years to submit to agents and publishers I have learned that no one wants to take a chance on a new guy. They want to go the safe route. All an agent or publisher wants to see from a new writer is a short synopsis and a return envelope that they can send a form rejection letter back in. Only if they like the general Idea of the book will they get back to you and ask you to send them more so that they can read and decide if you are any good.

They have interns whose job is to glance over the hundreds of query letters and discard any that don't meet specific parameters they are looking for. Right now that means Harry Potter knockoffs and Twilight knockoffs. The only way for a Fantasy writer to get in is to be someone with a track record. If they see that you have published books before, they are more willing to give you a chance.

So the idea is for me to be able to say. My first book sold X number on Amazon and I want to sell you the full rights to the rest of the series and the republishing rights for the first book.

That way, maybe I can get past the intern to someone important.

So for now all I can hope is that the people who download my book read it. If they read it, they like it, and if they like it and want to read the next book, they tell their friends to get it. Word of mouth is my friend right now.

So far everyone that has read past chapter three has finished the book and anyone that has finished the book has given me great feedback.

Sideswipe:
If stephanie meyer can get pulbished there is hope for anyone.

Edgewriter:
Amen sir

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version