Author Topic: Revolution: The Next JJ Abrahms show to get cancelled.  (Read 8435 times)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Revolution: The Next JJ Abrahms show to get cancelled.
« on: May 13, 2012, 06:45:41 PM »
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
Re: Revolution: The Next JJ Abrahms show to get cancelled.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 10:35:48 PM »
Looked interesting until someone over at the AV Club pointed out that, unless the blackout is caused by magic, the concept makes no sense at all.   

And if it is caused by magic....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:23:35 AM »
Looked interesting until someone over at the AV Club pointed out that, unless the blackout is caused by magic, the concept makes no sense at all.   

And if it is caused by magic....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just stepping in to say: Thank god someone made a GIF out of that. I was worried the internet might not deliver on that one fast enough.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 07:30:48 AM »
I'll watch it.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 07:35:08 AM »
How unlike the AV club to take the fun out of something... they are slowly becoming very Pitchfork-y
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 08:14:15 AM »
It may not make sense with science, but it can make plenty of sense with pseudo science, which is a field that JJ lives in all the time.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 09:03:27 AM »
I think a big part of the premise is to find out WHY it happened. -- Which I also expect some form of massive world-wide EMP or some shit like that.

Anyways, the preview looks FAR better than I was expecting, and I am reeeeally hoping peoples' Lost-hatred doesn't keep this from lasting.

I will be watching, but I won't get too hooked until it gets a second season.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 09:22:47 AM »
He didn't use magic!!

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5707
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 09:24:47 AM »
Well, if it is magic, then there is an easy solution, thanks to SCIENCE:

It even comes with a dongly thing.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 09:30:25 AM »
It has something to do with this:
Quote from: Uncyclopedia
Negative Electrons

Edison initially generated electricity by training the electrons himself, but as demand increased (along with Edison's fortune), he was forced to employ minions to perform this task on his behalf. Unfortunately these minions were less skilled trainers, and the electrons sometimes rebelled against their masters. To make matters worse, Edison had cut costs by feeding the electrons harvested souls. This resulted in very negative electrons that were prone to revolt.
In 1897 the Great Electron Revolt took place, when Edison's huge workforce of electrons attempted to stage a walk-out. However, due to lack of effective leadership and planning in the Electron Union, there was nowhere else for them to go. None of them had homes, families, or athletic clubs. So they milled around aimlessly for awhile, and then started running down the wires in the wrong direction -- the opposite of the direction Edison wanted them to.
Sadly, Edison never regained control of his electrons. To this day, electrons travel out to customers along the "neutral" cable, and return along the "live" cable. The few that try to go the other way are quickly annihilated by their angry brethren.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 08:35:01 PM »
I have decided that any time someone argues "J.J. Abrams" and "Lost" as reasons why NOT to watch it... I am going to counter with "Eric Kripke" and "Supernatural" and "Fuck you! You're the problem!!!" ... and maybe some crying.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 09:39:29 AM »
I have decided that any time someone argues "J.J. Abrams" and "Lost" as reasons why NOT to watch it... I am going to counter with "Eric Kripke" and "Supernatural" and "Fuck you! You're the problem!!!" ... and maybe some crying.

Shouldn't you just say "Super 8" instead?  Or maybe movies don't count?

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 01:12:34 PM »

Shouldn't you just say "Super 8" instead?  Or maybe movies don't count?

Notice my 2 examples that aren't just anger and crying have to do with Eric Kripke... He wasn't involved in Super 8 as far as I know.

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 08:45:10 PM »
I solved it!  No, not "Why did the lights go out?".  I solved the mystery of "Why did this short animation have so much money?"

This was recently posted in the youtube thread:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/doteMqP6eSc?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/doteMqP6eSc?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Give it a pause at 0:25.

And if you're reading this thread you've probably seen the trailer.

http://www.nbc.com/revolution/video/Revolution-Revolution/1401445

Go ahead and give it a pause at 1:08.  Look familiar?

Conclusion: animation company was hired to do a bunch of establishing shots for Revolution.  They had a whole bunch of assets laying around and somehow convinced NBC to let them use them in a short film.  No wonder the short looks so polished (and the scenery looks better than the characters).  I was wondering where they got the money to just throw that together and put it on youtube.

EDIT:  Or actually... it's probably more likely that NBC saw the short film and just bought some clips from it instead of contracting something. 

EDIT EDIT:  Well now I'm still not sure.  The plot is so weak in the short film... it's just a guy getting chased by robots through a specific environment.  Usually if your goal from the get go is to make a short, you're going to put some effort into having a nice little story, some motivation, an ending.  But the whole thing is just guy getting chased by robots.  And they never leave that one environment, except to go into a tunnel.  I think I'm back to my original theory, it's a short that was made around the pre existing environment.  It's either that or a beautiful looking short with a weak story.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 08:56:19 PM by varietyofcells »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5707
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 06:06:44 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/doteMqP6eSc?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/doteMqP6eSc?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Yeah, it had no real story, but the chase was far better than anything in Terminator 4.