login

Author Topic: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!  (Read 116084 times)

Johnny Unusual

Re: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!
« Reply #255 on: May 16, 2012, 07:15:58 PM »

#4 FoxTrot

226 Points, 15 Lists, #1 Darth Geek

FoxTrot is an American comic strip written and illustrated by Bill Amend. As of December 2006, FoxTrot was carried by more than 1,200 newspapers worldwide. From its inception in 1988 it was published daily until December 31, 2006, when Amend switched to a Sunday-only format.

The strip revolves around the daily lives of the Fox family, composed of parents Andrea (Andy, 42) and Roger Fox (45), and their children, Peter (16), Paige (14), and Jason (10). It covers a wide range of subject matter, including spoofs of pop culture fads, nerd culture, and popular consumer products.

Animated Adaptation:   
No, there is not.

Trivia:      
During the late 1990s, the character of Jason Fox was licensed to Wolfram Research as a product spokesman for its Mathematica software package

I (and probably Jason) am really hoping this guy works at Wolfram research.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3896
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #256 on: May 16, 2012, 07:16:03 PM »
I had no idea there was a Dilbert cartoon,I just added it to my Netflix Q.

You're in for a treat. The Dilbert cartoon was largely ignored because it came out in '99, around the same time we were being deluged with adult animation.

Also the opening credits were awesome.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #257 on: May 16, 2012, 07:24:19 PM »

You're in for a treat. The Dilbert cartoon was largely ignored because it came out in '99, around the same time we were being deluged with adult animation.

I don't think it was that great (it wasn't bad, it just wasn't that good either) but there are some clever premises to a lot of the episodes.  But yeah, those opening credits are pitch perfect and set a scene of apocalyptic damnation.  And I think the voice casting was good (which I always think is really tricky for comic characters).

MontyServo

« Reply #258 on: May 16, 2012, 07:26:54 PM »
Yay Foxtrot!

Invader_quirk

« Reply #259 on: May 16, 2012, 07:28:01 PM »
I predict Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, and The Far Side.

MontyServo

« Reply #260 on: May 16, 2012, 07:28:45 PM »

Well duh.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #261 on: May 16, 2012, 07:30:33 PM »

Well duh.

If it was so obvious, why weren't YOU the first to predict it? Huh? HUH?

Quirk out.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #262 on: May 16, 2012, 07:30:49 PM »

Yeah, I love that cartoon. It's quite funny at times, and also a rather smart satire when it wants to be.

Lot of goodness in this part of the list. While I didn't vote for Dilbert, I do always get a kick out of reading it (ditto Garfield Minus Garfield, which is as funny as it is existentially disturbing). Hear here on Get Fuzzy, Foxtrot, and Bloom County. Bloom Count in particular is a funny entry for me, seeing as the entire thing ran before I was born, and yet I was a fan since I was a kid. My parents had the books lying around the shelves for years, and one day I finally got curious about the book with the weird looking bird on the cover. I didn't quite understand all the jokes at the time, but I still liked it, and over the years as I've learned more and more about US history, it's proceeded to get funnier and funnier to me (when I met Breathed at Comic Con two years ago and related to him this story, he sighed and said he just felt that much older now (nice guy, gave a great panel presentation). Go figure).

MontyServo

« Reply #263 on: May 16, 2012, 07:31:45 PM »

Well duh.

Quirk out.

I was too busy typing up a page long monologue bemoaning the utter lack of Luann on this list.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #264 on: May 16, 2012, 07:37:27 PM »
I hate to break it to you... I've never heard of Luann before I started this list.  And all I know now is that she appeared in an 80's breakfast cereal with Hi and Lois and... Tiger?  What the hell is that?

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #265 on: May 16, 2012, 07:39:03 PM »

#3 Peanuts

221 Points, 13 Lists, #2 Smith Doctor John Smith

Peanuts is a syndicated daily and Sunday American comic strip written and illustrated by Charles M. Schulz, which ran from October 2, 1950, to February 13, 2000, continuing in reruns afterward. The strip is the most popular and influential in the history of the comic strip, with 17,897 strips published in all, making it "arguably the longest story ever told by one human being", according to Professor Robert Thompson of Syracuse University. At its peak, Peanuts ran in over 2,600 newspapers, with a readership of 355 million in 75 countries, and was translated into 21 languages. It helped to cement the four-panel gag strip as the standard in the United States, and together with its merchandise earned Schulz more than $1 billion. Reprints of the strip are still syndicated and run in almost every U.S. newspaper.

Peanuts has been described as "the most shining example of the American success story in the comic strip field"; this is ironic, given its theme is "the great American unsuccess story." The main character, Charlie Brown, is meek, nervous and lacks self-confidence. He's unable to fly a kite, win a baseball game or kick a football.

Animated Adaptation:   
Many, many, many.  Also, who wants Dolly Madison and Met Life Insurance before we go to Knott’s Berry Farm?:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/h38srxvt6qE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/h38srxvt6qE</a>

Trivia:      
Snoopy’s birthday is October 32nd.  Only in the untime when the old gods awaken and Yog Soggoth is slouches toward Bethlehem shall Snoopy finally defeat the Red Baron.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6576
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #266 on: May 16, 2012, 07:41:53 PM »

Well duh.

Quirk out.
I predict he is going to start using "Quirk out." allllllll the time now.

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #267 on: May 16, 2012, 07:42:17 PM »
Well I am guessing since I am on Dial up the rest of the list will be posted by the time this posts so here is what I voted for.

1)Hsu&Chan
2)The Peanuts
3)Foxtrot
4)Dilbert
5)The Amazing Spider-Man
6)Garfield
7)The Wizard of Id
8)The Brilliant Mind of Edison Lee
9)Calvin and Hobbes
10)Hägar the Horrible
11)Mutts
12)Non Sequitur
13)Get Fuzzy
14)Zits
15)Ctrl+Alt+Del

Yeah I could only come up with 15.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1183
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #268 on: May 16, 2012, 07:42:46 PM »

Well duh.

Quirk out.

I was too busy typing up a page long monologue bemoaning the utter lack of Luann on this list.

Just for the record, I voted for Luann. I like Luann, and am disappointed it didn't make it.

However, if there is a God in heaven, please tell me Peanuts is not number 1...

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #269 on: May 16, 2012, 07:44:30 PM »
Uh... you can clearly see it's number 3.  Right there.  On the list...

It is not.