Author Topic: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!  (Read 115463 times)

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
Re: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!
« Reply #225 on: May 16, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »
I LOVE Cyanide and Happiness and XKCG, glad to see they made the list
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6499
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #226 on: May 16, 2012, 12:13:09 PM »
Those stick figures will send Darth Geek into
apoplexy.
No, stick figures don't bother me. They are intended to be simple. The Hark!  A Vagrant style is clearly trying for more than that, but is simply gross ineptitude. IMHO, of course.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #227 on: May 16, 2012, 02:12:17 PM »
I like the art in Penny Arcade, but I don't think I've ever once laughed at it.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #228 on: May 16, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »
Nice! I was somewhat worried PBF wouldn't make it. I myself only remembered it at the last minute.

Also, since apparently some of my favorite strips were REJECTED :P

Sorry about that.  Not an intentional snub.  I was just balancing this list with some other things (back to university after 7 years for an intensive 6 hour a day program, plus assignments).

Still, to make it up to you (and cause I was gonna do it anyway), I'll finish the list today.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #229 on: May 16, 2012, 02:26:41 PM »

#9 Garfield

112 Points, 9 lists, #2 Mrs Dick Courier

Garfield is a comic strip created by Jim Davis. Published since June 19, 1978, it chronicles the life of the title character, the cat Garfield (named after Davis' grandfather); his owner, Jon Arbuckle; and Arbuckle's dog, Odie. As of 2007, it was syndicated in roughly 2,580 newspapers and journals, and held the Guinness World Record for being the world's most widely syndicated comic strip.

Though this is rarely mentioned in print, Garfield is set in Muncie, Indiana, the home of Jim Davis, according to the television special Garfield Goes Hollywood. Common themes in the strip include Garfield's laziness, obsessive eating, and hatred of Mondays and diets. The strip's focus is mostly on the interactions among Garfield, Jon, and Odie; recurring minor characters appear as well. Originally created with the intentions to "come up with a good, marketable character," Garfield has spawned merchandise earning $750 million to $1 billion annually. In addition to the various merchandise and commercial tie-ins, the strip has spawned several animated television specials, two animated television series, two theatrical feature-length live-action films and three CGI animated direct-to-video movies. Part of the strip's broad appeal is due to its lack of social or political commentary; though this was Davis' original intention, he also admitted that his "grasp of politics isn't strong," remarking that, for many years, he thought "OPEC was a denture adhesive."

Animated Adaptation:
Many animated specials and 2 animated series.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DtCnr6NhtGY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DtCnr6NhtGY</a>

Trivia:      
Since the great Lorenzo Music's death, Frank Welker has often replaced him as the voice of Garfield the Cat in recent productions of the Garfield franchise. Also, Bill Murray voiced Garfield in the live-action films Garfield: The Movie and Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties. Music voiced Murray's character of Doctor Peter Venkman in The Real Ghostbusters. Meanwhile, Frank Welker also provided the voice of Ray Stantz on The Real Ghostbusters, and Music lost his role as Peter Venkman and was replaced by Dave Coulier when Murray complained to the studio that his character sounded too much like Garfield.

In short, Lorenzo was asked to cut… it… out…  That joke would work better with gestures.  No, wait, it wouldn’t.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3620
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2012, 02:32:12 PM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:54:11 PM by Kete »

MontyServo

« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2012, 02:45:07 PM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, and it may still be making an appearance on this list.  So you may be jumping the gun a bit...   ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:02:26 PM by Monty »

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3620
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2012, 02:53:38 PM »
Oh, really?  Sorry, I wouldn't have thought it qualified as a standalone entry.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2012, 03:17:11 PM »

#8 Get Fuzzy

121 Points, 9 lists, #4 Gojikranz

Get Fuzzy is an American daily comic strip written and drawn by Darby Conley. The strip features the adventures of Boston advertising executive Rob Wilco and his two anthropomorphic pets: dog Satchel Pooch and cat Bucky Katt. Get Fuzzy has been published by United Feature Syndicate since September 6, 1999. It appears in over 700 newspapers worldwide.

The strip's humor comes from the conflict between Bucky's and Satchel's personalities, which are extreme stereotypes of cats and dogs. Sweet, trusting, naïve Satchel is routinely subjected to the exploitation of cruel, self-centered Bucky, who is always torturing the poor canine. Rob, the middleman, is often frazzled from dealing with them, or more specifically, from dealing with Bucky's destructive nature and overall nastiness. The three characters live in an apartment on Boston's Longwood Avenue. Get Fuzzy often eschews the traditional "setup-punchline" format of most funnies, instead building on absurd dialog between characters.

Animated Adaptation:
Not as such.

Trivia:      
The unusual title of the strip comes from a concert poster that Darby Conley once created for his brother's band, the Fuzzy Sprouts. "Life's too short to be cool," the poster read, "Get Fuzzy."

Invader_quirk

« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2012, 03:26:30 PM »

My thoughts exactly, Garfield...

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #235 on: May 16, 2012, 03:44:41 PM »
I love classic Garfield.

One of my faves:

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #236 on: May 16, 2012, 03:46:52 PM »
I love classic Garfield.

One of my faves:

I like animal too, but Jim Davis and Jim Henson are different people.  They both spell and pronounce their names differently.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #237 on: May 16, 2012, 03:47:54 PM »
I love classic Garfield.

One of my faves:

I fucking LOVE Garfield Without Garfield or Jon But With Animal!
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #238 on: May 16, 2012, 03:49:06 PM »
I love classic Garfield.

One of my faves:

I like animal too, but Jim Davis and Jim Henson are different people.  They both spell and pronounce their names differently.
But do you ever see them in the same room together nowadays? Hmmm...

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #239 on: May 16, 2012, 03:49:58 PM »

I fucking LOVE Garfield Without Garfield or Jon But With Animal!
Now I feel stupid for googleing Jon But With Animal.