login

Author Topic: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!  (Read 113121 times)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Re: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!
« Reply #210 on: May 15, 2012, 03:56:05 PM »
Looking forward to DG's take on that artwork.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #211 on: May 15, 2012, 04:05:54 PM »
Considering the content of that strip, it's probably a good thing that things stay more minimalist.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6257
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #212 on: May 15, 2012, 05:15:40 PM »
I don't really have an issue with the art style of Cyanide and Happiness. It's not good, but it looks intentionally basic.

I had never seen this comic before, but the few samples of the humor is great! Particularly this one:

Coragale

« Reply #213 on: May 15, 2012, 05:28:22 PM »
The flash stuff is PRETTY damn great. Waiting For the Bus is always worth a laugh, and as a child of the 90's, I have a special place in my heart for Hungertube.

If some bro could post a link to it, I'd appreciate it; I'm on my tablet.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5879
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #214 on: May 15, 2012, 07:11:49 PM »

#13 Life in Hell

88 Points, 5 lists, #2 George Harrison

Life in Hell is a weekly comic strip by Matt Groening. The strip features anthropomorphic rabbits and a pair of gay lovers. Groening uses these characters to explore a wide range of topics about love, sex, work, and death. His drawings are full of expressions of angst, alienation, self-loathing, and fear of inevitable doom.   

Animated Adaptation:      
No.  Fox wanted to but Groening didn’t want to risk losing control of his characters, so he made up a bunch of new ones… and thus the Simpsons where born.

Trivia:   
Several characters from Life In Hell make a cameo appearance in Gary Wolf's 1981 noir novel Who Censored Roger Rabbit?

Invader_quirk

« Reply #215 on: May 15, 2012, 07:42:08 PM »
The flash stuff is PRETTY damn great. Waiting For the Bus is always worth a laugh

Waiting for the Bus literally had me crying the first time I watched it. And the next few times as well. That pretty much doesn't happen.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kRPJh-LJq1o" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kRPJh-LJq1o</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #216 on: May 15, 2012, 08:19:34 PM »

#12 The Perry Bible Fellowship

93 Points, 5 lists, #2 Asbestos Bill, Johnny Unusual

The Perry Bible Fellowship (or PBF) is a newspaper comic strip and webcomic by Nicholas Gurewitch. It originated in the Syracuse University newspaper The Daily Orange. The comics are usually three or four panels long, and are generally characterized by the juxtaposition of whimsical childlike imagery or fantasy with morbid, sudden or unexpected surreal humor. Common subjects include irony, religion, sexuality, war, science fiction, suicide, violence, and death.

The comic received its title, taken from the name of a church in Maine, in its Daily Orange incarnation

Animated Adaptation:      
Didn’t and won’t happen.

Trivia:   
Some strips emulate the styles of famous illustrators such as Shel Silverstein, Edward Gorey, and Robert Crumb, made evident by marginal notes such as "(Apologies, R. Crumb)."

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #217 on: May 15, 2012, 08:34:29 PM »

#11 XKCD

100 Points, 7 lists, #6 Goflyblind

xkcd is a webcomic created by Randall Munroe. The comic's tagline describes it as "a webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language." It has received mention from The Guardian and The New York Times.

The subject matter of the comic varies, including statements on life and love (some love strips are simply art with poetry), and mathematical or scientific in-jokes. Some strips feature simple humor or pop-culture references. Although it has a cast of stick figures, the comic occasionally features landscapes, intricate mathematical patterns such as fractals (for example, strip No. 17 "What If" shows an Apollonian gasket), or imitations of the style of other cartoonists (as during "Parody Week").

The comic is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License. New comics are added three times a week, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; although, on seven occasions so far, they have been updated every weekday: Parody Week, the "Choices" series, the "1337" series, the "Secretary" series, the "The Race" series, the set of three "Five Minute Comics", and Guest Comic Week.

Animated Adaptation:
No.. wait, maybe.  Does this count?      
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hw4wzwYeZ0Y" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hw4wzwYeZ0Y</a>
Lacks the wit of the original.

Trivia:      
xkcd comics have been translated into a number of languages. One group of readers has translated every comic into French and nearly half of the comics have been translated into Russian. One reader has translated many of the comics into Spanish; translations exist for comics that, according to the translator, can be translated without losing their humor. Various xkcd comics have also been translated into German, Finnish, Czech,  Portuguese,  Esperanto, and Lojban.

Coragale

« Reply #218 on: May 15, 2012, 09:15:28 PM »
I generally like xkcd when I read it, which, unfortunately isn't that often.

MightyJack

« Reply #219 on: May 16, 2012, 02:07:37 AM »
Well if nothing else, I'm discovering a lot of great comic strips I wasn't familair with before. Those Nancy Drew's were hilarious, I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #220 on: May 16, 2012, 05:41:58 AM »

#10 Pearls Before Swine

103 Points, 8 lists, #2 Pak Man

Pearls Before Swine is an American comic strip written and illustrated by Stephan Pastis, who was formerly a lawyer in San Francisco, California. It chronicles the daily lives of four anthropomorphic animals, Pig, Rat, Zebra, and Goat, as well as a number of supporting characters. Although created in 1997, it was not published until 2000, when United Feature Syndicate ran it on its website. Its popularity rose after Dilbert creator Scott Adams, a fan of the strip, showed it to his own fans.

United Feature launched the strip in newspapers beginning December 31, 2001, in The Washington Post. On January 7, 2002, it began running in approximately 150 papers. The strip currently appears in 650 newspapers worldwide.

The strip has become somewhat controversial due to its use of adult humor, mock profanity, violence, drinking and drug references and references to Middle-Eastern terrorism.

Animated Adaptation:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/G4mn3EDeD-0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/G4mn3EDeD-0</a>

Trivia:      
Cartoonist Darby Conley, creator of Get Fuzzy, helped teach Pastis the technical aspects of cartooning. The two remain friends, sometimes poking fun at each other in their strips. In Pearls Blows Up, Stephan says that he replaces some of the usual squiggle-marks indicating swear words with a poorly drawn picture of Darby Conley's head. In a Get Fuzzy strip, Rob asks Satchel if an annoying lawyer named Stephan called. Satchel has a Pearls book next to him. Conley also drew Pastis in his strip twice during a week where the two cartoonists decided to play a prank on their syndicate by having Conley copy and paste Get Fuzzy characters over Pearls strips.

Online ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1384
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #221 on: May 16, 2012, 07:44:22 AM »
If you don't like it, that's perfectly fine.  That's your opinion.  Just remember, your opinion is not objectively true.

This should be translated into latin and made the motto of the internet
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #222 on: May 16, 2012, 09:44:29 AM »
Nice! I was somewhat worried PBF wouldn't make it. I myself only remembered it at the last minute.

Also, since apparently some of my favorite strips were REJECTED :P

Invader_quirk

« Reply #223 on: May 16, 2012, 09:49:18 AM »
Mine was also rejected, now that you mention it.

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #224 on: May 16, 2012, 11:19:51 AM »
Those stick figures will send Darth Geek into
apoplexy.
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!