login

Author Topic: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!  (Read 113030 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3684
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!
« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2012, 08:57:19 AM »
Well it's usually Deadpool and it's usually written by someone else. :^)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #196 on: May 15, 2012, 09:00:50 AM »
Deadpool I'll grant you, most of the other stuff he's worked on though....

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2012, 09:32:36 AM »
What others have said. Beaton's art has a good old-school charm to it that works quite well with the subject matter (am I the only one who thinks it's like a sketchier version of what Eddie Campbell did for From Hell?). The only thing that truly bugs me about her stuff is her weird aversion to dating strips, thus making tracking down specific ones unusually difficult (on her site at least).

The Tycho one is my favorite (and she did redraw that one at some point too), though this one's a close second (I love her non-history stuff just as much as the history stuff):

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #198 on: May 15, 2012, 11:10:19 AM »
Never heard of that Hark one, hilarious.  Read a bunch online.

And I must defend Mutts.  And Doonesbury.  And Family Circus.  And Grimm.  And FBOFW.  Voted for them all, also Garfield, Pickles and Shoe, those will probably get a lot of complaints too.  I like what I like, and evidently I'm not the only one.  Just because its not some intellectual crap or doesn't fit your political leanings, or for whatever reason, don't put them down.  You don't see me putting down your choices, If I don't like it I stay quiet.

Ya'll enjoyed your little Pokemon list, now let me enjoy my comics list in peace.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #199 on: May 15, 2012, 11:21:11 AM »
If I don't like it I stay quiet.

Not to be a dick (lest you couri me) but I like this part. Every list, there's some obnoxious person who complains about the people complaining about things that are on topic. If you had relevant criticisms for the pokemon that made that list, they would have been welcome.

If you don't want to join the discussion about the entries in a list, that's fine. But if you're discussing the discussion, you're just off topic. Lighten up.

Also:
intellectual crap ... You don't see me putting down your choices

Invader_quirk

« Reply #200 on: May 15, 2012, 11:25:17 AM »
Never heard of that Hark one, hilarious.  Read a bunch online.

And I must defend Mutts.  And Doonesbury.  And Family Circus.  And Grimm.  And FBOFW.  Voted for them all, also Garfield, Pickles and Shoe, those will probably get a lot of complaints too.  I like what I like, and evidently I'm not the only one.  Just because its not some intellectual crap or doesn't fit your political leanings, or for whatever reason, don't put them down.  You don't see me putting down your choices, If I don't like it I stay quiet.

Ya'll enjoyed your little Pokemon list, now let me enjoy my comics list in peace.

I don't like those comics because they're not funny to me. You seem to be implying I'm snooty or politically biased, which is a bit offensive.

If you'd like to put down my favs, go ahead. There's nothing wrong with discussing the list.

[EDITED because I was making assumptions]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:28:32 AM by Invader_quirk »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6253
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #201 on: May 15, 2012, 11:33:22 AM »
:clap: :clap:

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #202 on: May 15, 2012, 11:34:55 AM »
It may be obnoxious, but I had to say it.  I just got tired of nasty (maybe even obnoxious) stuff being said about every comic I voted for.

That's all I have to say about the matter, I don't want to start some big arguement that goes on for four pages.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Invader_quirk

« Reply #203 on: May 15, 2012, 11:42:51 AM »
I still don't know what the Pokemon list has to do with anything. It would only apply if I was completely uninterested in all comics, didn't send in a list, and came in here complaining about comics being stupid.

I'm sorry you weren't one of the people who made Pokemon the winner of that poll. Why is this being held against us?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3684
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #204 on: May 15, 2012, 11:56:29 AM »
It's OK to criticize the list-winners. Open discussion about what made the list and where you think it should have gone is part of the fun. As long as you're attacking the item and not the person/people who voted for it, you're contributing to the conversation.

As such, when people are criticizing your entries, it's best to remember that that's all they're criticizing. They're not criticizing you for voting for them (At least they'd better not be!). It's all in fun.

Garfield made it pretty high on my list too, and I'm aware that the Internet's favorite pastime is declaring Garfield to be unfunny. I'm ready for that conversation if/when it places. Bring it! :^)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #205 on: May 15, 2012, 12:05:26 PM »
It may be obnoxious, but I had to say it.  I just got tired of nasty (maybe even obnoxious) stuff being said about every comic I voted for.

That's all I have to say about the matter, I don't want to start some big arguement that goes on for four pages.

Alright. I was more of a jerk than I needed to be in my response. Sorry. I guess I got a bit defensive since you targeted me rather than the several others who had complaints about entries. (I was also extremely hungry)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #206 on: May 15, 2012, 12:11:56 PM »
Some of those Nancey Drew ones are funny. But I stand by my comment on the bad artwork. There is "stylized", and then there is "toddler artwork even a parent wouldn't put on their refrigerator". This is the reason why some comic strips have a seperate artist.

Hmm. We've had two, maybe three strips with clip art and Beaton's artwork, which quite frankly doesn't even come close to the "bad side" of the comic art world, is the one you object to?

Coragale

« Reply #207 on: May 15, 2012, 01:40:33 PM »
Pak, you always beat me to posting, but I'm replying anyway. :-P

I never intended to piss anyone off. My jab at Family Circus was a joke on the reaction Cool As Ice got. The ones I said I didn't like are ones that I truly don't like.

Also, I'll state it so it's down somewhere: I truly don't give a crap about what anybody likes or doesn't like. I try to never (in seriousness) judge someone for what they like, just as I don't expect to bejudged on what I like.

Also, folks, let's remember that this is the internet. At least half of it is going to disagree with anything you say. Try to take it with a grain of salt?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5831
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #208 on: May 15, 2012, 03:22:27 PM »
I know this is deep in, but I've been gone all day.

I'm really bugged by Darth's assertion that Kate Beaton's art is objectively bad and that there's no comment on style.  As someone else pointed out (whom pasted to long ago to point out) is that the art gets the message across.  I think that he is being very naive on the nature of art.  There's nothing technically wrong with the way she's drawing, so why is it "crap"?  There's no confusion or ambiguity in the art, it's not lazy (certainly compared to many mainstream comics where major characters have 2 or three facial expressions for the entire run.  And no, I'm not knocking them...)  What's more, a lot of the humour comes from the expressions of the characters, which relies on the artist's ability to convey it, and she does very well.  Also, thins being a comic, the story flows well from panel to panel with little confusion between (that might sound like common sense, but it's common in a lot of comics to mess up continuity).

IT IS STYLE.  If you don't like it, that's perfectly fine.  That's your opinion.  Just remember, your opinion is not objectively true.

You're thinking of my opinion.  (rimshot)

It's OK to criticize the list-winners. Open discussion about what made the list and where you think it should have gone is part of the fun. As long as you're attacking the item and not the person/people who voted for it, you're contributing to the conversation.

I can understand the feeling of being personally offended when someone doesn't just dislike your thing but seems personally revolted by it.  Not easy to deal with sometimes, if you are of that nerdy mindset, but sometimes we all have to stand back and drop it.  Like it's hot.

Personally, I dislike a lot of the choices, but I tend not to dismiss them completely (except one, but that was even after learning more about it).  After all, they must have something in them that people go for despite their many (many) flaws, and I often like to analyze why that is.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5831
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #209 on: May 15, 2012, 03:47:49 PM »

#14 Cyanide and Happiness

86 Points, 5 lists, #1 Asbestos Bill

Cyanide & Happiness is a webcomic hosted on Explosm.net and written by four authors with occasional contributions from guests. It was founded on December 9th 2004 and has hosted almost daily comics since January 26th 2005. It appears frequently on social networking sites (such as Myspace and LiveJournal), Facebook, web forums, and blogs as it openly allows and encourages fans to hotlink images, a behavior that many webcomics frown upon. The comic's authors attribute the comic's success to its often controversial nature.

The site has claimed over a million daily visitors (as of November 20, 2006) and is ranked 2,777th among the most viewed websites and 1,337th in the US alone, according to Alexa.com. The creators also have made comics and television advertisements for Orange Mobile's Orange Wednesdays, which have appeared in The Sun newspaper.

Animated Adaptation:      
The site has some flash cartoons
http://www.explosm.net/movies/

Trivia:   
In 2010, author Dave McElfatrick, a Northern Ireland native, started a petition for a visa into the United States, in order to be with the other writers to produce more animated shorts. The petition garnered over 132,000 signatures in less than three weeks. On September 1, 2010 it was officially announced that Dave qualified for the visa that would allow him to enter the United States to work on more comics and animated shorts with Kris Wilson, Rob DenBleyker, and Matt Melvin.