Author Topic: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!  (Read 116086 times)

Johnny Unusual

Re: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!
« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2012, 05:48:02 PM »

#17 Penny Arcade

77 Points, 6 lists, #4  Johnny Unusual

Penny Arcade is a webcomic focused on video games and video game culture, written by Jerry Holkins and illustrated by Mike Krahulik. The comic debuted in 1998 on the website loonygames.com. Since then, Holkins and Krahulik have established their own site, which is typically updated with a new comic strip each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The comics are accompanied by regular updates on the site's blog.

Penny Arcade is among the most popular and longest running gaming webcomics currently online, listed in 2010 as having 3.5 million readers. Holkins and Krahulik are among the few and first webcomic creators successful enough to make a living from their work. In addition to the comic, Holkins and Krahulik also created Child's Play, a children's charity; PAX, an annualgaming convention; and two games, Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness episode 1 and 2 with Hothead Games.

The strip features Krahulik and Holkins' cartoon alter egos, John "Gabe" Gabriel and Tycho Brahe, respectively. While often borrowing from the authors' experiences, Holkins and Krahulik do not treat them as literal avatars or caricatures of themselves. The two characters spend much of their time playing and commenting on computer and video games, which forms the basis of the humor in the strip. Most of the time Gabe serves the purpose of the comic and Tycho the comic foil. The strip can feature in-jokes that are explained in the news posts accompanying each comic, written by the authors.

Both Krahulik and Holkins make a living from Penny Arcade, placing them in a small group of professional webcomic artists devoted to their creations full-time. Originally, like many webcomics, Penny Arcade was supported solely by donations. A graph on the main page indicated how much people had donated that month. After hiring Robert Khoo as their business manager, Holkins and Krahulik switched to a different income stream based on advertising and merchandise revenue alone. According to Holkins, the website in 2006 handled more than two million pageviews daily (excluding forum traffic). On November 13, 2005, the website was given a facelift in celebration of their seventh year running and to match the designs of the Child's Play Charity and Penny Arcade Expo websites.

Animated Adaptation:   
No animated adaptation, but there are cartoons on the sites by fellow cartoonists and a documentary-type program about the making of the show.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv

Trivia:   
Michael Krahulik named his son Gabriel after his Penny Arcade character and also the bible guy.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7357
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2012, 05:55:46 PM »
while it didn't make my list, penny arcade does have some hilarious moments:

dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2012, 05:57:11 PM »
We're kind of in a slump here...

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2012, 06:20:50 PM »

#16 For Better or For Worse

77 Points, 5 lists, #5 Tripe Hound Redux

For Better or For Worse is a comic strip by Lynn Johnston that ran for 30 years, chronicling the lives of a Canadian family, The Pattersons, and their friends. The story is set in the fictitious Toronto-area suburban town of Milborough, Ontario. Johnston's strip began in September 1979, and ended the main story on August 30, 2008, with a postscript epilogue the following day. Starting on September 1, 2008, the strip began re-telling its original story by means of a combination of newly drawn strips (set in the past) and reruns. This new format however, was dropped after less than two years and switched entirely to reruns, thus officially ending its run (of new material) by mid 2010. It is seen in over 2,000 newspapers throughout Canada, the United States and about 20 other countries, and is translated into eight languages from its native English.

The title is a reference to the marriage service found in the Anglican Book of Common Prayer as well as in the wedding ceremonies of other faith traditions:
...to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health...
A signature element of For Better or For Worse during the first 28 years of the strip's existence was that, after the first two years, the characters began to age in real time. Beginning on September 3, 2007, For Better or For Worse changed to a format featuring a mixture of new, old and retouched work, which allowed Johnston to "keep alive her partly autobiographical comic while not having to devote as much time to it." On September 1, 2008, Johnston began what she called "new-runs", restarting her storyline with new art and jokes. The time frame appears to be 26 years before the present day; the family is correspondingly younger. Michael looks to be about five or six years old, Elizabeth is a small child learning to talk, and the family is also raising a puppy. This new material was occasionally interspliced with strips from her original run. The strip subsequently went into straight reprints on July 12, 2010.

Johnston's work on the comic strip earned her a Reuben Award in 1985 and made her a nominated finalist for a Pulitzer Prize in editorial cartooning in 1994. The strip led the Friends of Lulu to add Johnston to the Women Cartoonists Hall of Fame in 2002. In the same year, Will Eisner described For Better Or Worse as "the best strip around currently," saying "It's humane, human, it has humor to it, and good artwork."

Animated Adaptation:   
About 6 specials and in the 2000’s a TV show for the Canadian cartoon channel Teletoon
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gVi2cq6FU-s" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gVi2cq6FU-s</a>

Trivia:   
The only child of the Patterson’s who wasn’t based on Lynn’s children was April, whom Lynn Johnson wrote about to deal with her barrenness.

The following strip presented by Tripe:

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2012, 06:58:55 PM »
Ah I loved/hated FBOFW. mostly during the period when April was a teenager, she's great, by far the most sympathetic character (shame Johnston kinda seemed to hate her) and the strip was actually interesting during the last few years. Unfortunately it also involved the horrendous Michael and Lizarbreath, awful in equal but separate ways. Liz still gets the edge because of Stach Anthony. That strip I submitted is almost certainly my favourite doctored strip ever, because it sums up everything that was wrong with the relationship and the two characters in it.

Yet I never missed reading it, that says something about it. I kind of wish she'd let somebody else take over, maybe just spun off April and Eva at college , I don't know, I'd have read it. :)

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2012, 07:11:34 PM »
There was an even more damning spoof comic that someone made up (the author really emulated her style) that appeared in the comic's rumour column Lying in the Gutters about a year before the comics end that hinted at the sociopathic attitude of the mother character/Lynn Johnson, but sadly I can't find it.

Coragale

« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2012, 07:12:04 PM »
And the slump continues.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3896
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2012, 07:15:08 PM »
No day with both Frazz and Penny Arcade can be called a slump. :^)

MontyServo

« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2012, 07:15:30 PM »
No worries!  Luann will soon be here to save the day!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2012, 07:21:07 PM »
I am rather expecting it to show up; ever noticed how Tiffany and Luann's mother are essentially the same girl with different wigs on?

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2012, 07:41:31 PM »
Yeah, I think today was rather a good day.

I never liked for Doonesbury, but unlike some older series, it has elements I appreciate.  I've never really read Frazz or Mutts but they seem perfectly fine (though the creators would admit the comics that directly inspired them are better, they are still fine extensions of what has come before).  For Better or For Worse... I don't like but I can respect the accomplishment of it in a manner similar to Doonesbury and I would say the death of Farley is pretty effective stuff.  And I think that Penny Arcade has a lot going on artistically in terms of a lot of the pacing and building of the gags.  One of my favs that I forgot.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/10/17

Coragale

« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2012, 07:54:43 PM »
Frazz is good, I'm glad it's here.

Already conveyed my hatred for Doonesbury.

Mutts is one I've never found humorous. It was in the paper Bill and Quirk got, which I read as well, and it never made me chuckle, never, not once.

Penny Arcade I don't really find funny. Just how it is.

FBoFW is lame. Nuff said.

I clearly expect more from my funnies/comics than you guys, though.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2012, 08:07:53 PM »
Penny Arcade is the only one I dislike (sorry, internet). I think it's hideous and I've never once found it funny.

Doonesbury and FBOFW I feel indifferent toward. I might like the former if I read it from the beginning, but nothing about it has really made be want to do so. I don't really know the characters of FBOFW, but when it has a punchline it's okay. (I do think it's weird to have a parody strip in the writeup for it though. And it took me forever to figure out "moons after ex before wife." I assume "moons" can be used like "pines"?)

Mutts is lazy and sappy by turns, though I do like the art style.

I'm trying to find positive things to say about each of them so this isn't just more grousing...

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #163 on: May 14, 2012, 08:14:02 PM »
Penny Arcade is the only one I dislike (sorry, internet). I think it's hideous and I've never once found it funny.
(And it took me forever to figure out "moons after ex before wife." I assume "moons" can be used like "pines"?)

I'm trying to find positive things to say about each of them so this isn't just more grousing...

Wait, you never heard of moons over as a verb but then you bring up grousing?

We, sir, shall never see eye to eye.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2012, 08:20:12 PM »
It was mostly the proximity of 'over' and 'before' that made it sound like she was ordering a list, so I didn't read moons as a verb. If I had, I would have figured it out sooner, but only by the context.