Author Topic: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!  (Read 116088 times)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
Re: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2012, 09:22:59 AM »
When we were getting the paper for a few months, Frazz was the only consistently good comic. And when I didn't get it, it was usually because it was over my head.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
Also, Frazz appears to be Calvin and Hobbes combined through some sick experiment.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2012, 09:37:53 AM »
Or just Calvin all grown up, which has been the speculation in the past.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3896
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2012, 10:01:29 AM »
Yay! Frazz! I had it on my list and didn't expect it to make the cut. It's one of those strips where you feel like you're the only one in the world who ever noticed it. It's an exceptionally smart and clever strip that gives the reader enough credit to where it never spells out its jokes. It just throws them out there.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2012, 10:30:11 AM »
Yay! Frazz! I had it on my list and didn't expect it to make the cut. It's one of those strips where you feel like you're the only one in the world who ever noticed it. It's an exceptionally smart and clever strip that gives the reader enough credit to where it never spells out its jokes. It just throws them out there.

Yeah. I've had to think all day to get some of them. I read it in the morning and then as I'm going to bed I get it.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2012, 11:01:18 AM »
I can proudly say Family Circus was #6 on my list.  Sure, I haven't read it in years.  But I have many a fond memory of it.

Also glad to see Mother Goose and Grimm, love the whole cheesy humor of the whole thing.  And The Wizard of Id.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2012, 11:55:15 AM »

#19 Doonesbury

70 Points, 4 lists, #3 CJones

Doonesbury is a comic strip by American cartoonist Garry Trudeau, that chronicles the adventures and lives of an array of characters of various ages, professions, and backgrounds, from the President of the United States to the title character, Michael Doonesbury, who has progressed from a college student to a youthful senior citizen in the 40+ years of the strip's daily existence.

Frequently political in nature, Doonesbury features characters representing a range of affiliations, but the cartoon is noted for a liberal viewpoint. The name "Doonesbury" is a combination of the word doone (prep school slang for "someone who is out to lunch") and the surname of Charles Pillsbury, Trudeau's roommate at Yale University.

Doonesbury is written and pencilled by Garry Trudeau, then inked and lettered by his assistant Don Carlton.

Animated Adaptation:   
No, but there was a stage musical
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1bEtv_wZ1GM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1bEtv_wZ1GM</a>

Trivia:   
President King, the leader of Walden College, was originally intended as a parody of Kingman Brewster, President of Yale, but all that remains of that is a certain physical resemblance.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2012, 02:08:34 PM »
Only #19?  I'm shocked.

Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2012, 02:10:50 PM »
I had doonesbury Though i can see some people leaving it off I didn't like it much until i got the big book that compiles strips from the entire history of the strip so i finally understood all the characters. 
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Invader_quirk

« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2012, 02:21:13 PM »
I always felt like Doonesbury was trying to make sure I had no idea what the hell was happening.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6576
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2012, 02:59:24 PM »
I always felt like Doonesbury was trying to make sure I had no idea what the hell was happening.
Yeah.

Reminds me of this Foxtrot comic about that:

Coragale

« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2012, 03:04:16 PM »
I actually AM pissed at Doonesbury being on the list. I've never liked the strip. I dislike most things with a mainly political side, and I've never really found anything that funny (or clever) about it. It's not even that I disagree with some of the view points, or that I'm anti liberal, even. I just can't stand politics in any way, shape or form. Even when it's not political, I feel condescended to by it. It pisses me off by how clever it thinks it is.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 544
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #147 on: May 14, 2012, 03:49:14 PM »
Never heard of Frazz. Methinks if there's an online archive, I know how I'm going to be spending a few hours soon.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2012, 04:01:42 PM »
Never heard of Frazz. Methinks if there's an online archive, I know how I'm going to be spending a few hours soon.

http://www.gocomics.com/frazz

Here ya go!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2012, 04:15:57 PM »

#18 Mutts

76 Points, 5 lists, #4 Pegos220379

Mutts is a daily comic strip created by Patrick McDonnell in 1994. Distributed by King Features Syndicate, it follows the adventures of a dog, Earl, and a cat, Mooch. Earl and Mooch interact with each other, their human owners and a large cast of neighborhood animals.

The friendship of Mooch and his neighbor Earl focuses on the differences between cats and dogs as pets and friends: Earl is friendly, loves the company of his human companion and likes to play outside; Mooch is often indifferent to his human companions, except for being fed, and prefers to stay inside and play by himself. Both animals frequently express themselves through thought balloons when their owners are present.

Peanuts creator Charles Schulz praised Mutts, calling it "one of best comic strips of all time."

Animated Adaptation:   
Some time ago there were talks of an animated feature film, but no more than that.

Trivia:   
On occasion, McDonnell devotes the strip for a week or so to animal welfare issues, especially the adoption of pets from animal shelters. Themes include Farm Animal Awareness Week and Shelter Stories, where pet adoption as well as pet shelter life is focused on. McDonnell also created artwork for the second generation New Jersey Animal Friendly optional license plate first issued in 2001. A portion of the revenue from the plates goes to the New Jersey State Department of Health's Animal Population Control Program. Also, he speaks out (usually using Shtinky) about numerous animal rights causes, including seal clubbing, whale hunting and most of all, saving the tigers.