login

Author Topic: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!  (Read 108666 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5711
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 06:38:27 PM »
I love Spiderman, but I can't imagine trying to read a longform comic three panels a day.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5136
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 07:00:35 PM »

#42 Moe
42 Points, 2 lists, #3 Invader Quirk   

Moe is a bit of an oblivious bungler who has moments of the unbelievably extraordinary as well as mind-numbingly dull thrust upon him in his otherwise dull, extraordinary life. As of writing this synopsis, the comic is updated on weekdays.

Animated Adaptation:
Nopes

Trivia:
Though creator Michael Firman hasn’t released any shirts of the series yet, he is considering this one (this information could be out of date, as it was from an older interview):
http://www.firmanproductions.com/latrine/moecarpunchshirt.jpg

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:29:59 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 07:31:01 PM »

#41 The Spirit
43 Points, 3 lists, #6 A Pretty Girl is Like   

The Spirit (Denny Colt) is a crime-fighting fictional character created by writer-artist Will Eisner. He first appeared June 2, 1940 in "The Spirit Section", the colloquial name given to a 16-page Sunday supplement, distributed to 20 newspapers by the Register and Tribune Syndicate and reaching five million readers during the 1940s. In the 2000s, following Eisner's death, the Spirit returned incomic books published by DC Comics.

The Spirit chronicles the adventures of a masked vigilante who fights crime with the blessing of the city's police commissioner Dolan, an old friend. Despite the Spirit's origin as detective Denny Colt, his real identity was virtually unmentioned again, and for all intents and purposes he was simply "the Spirit". The stories range through a wide variety of styles, from straightforward crime drama and noir to lighthearted adventure, from mystery and horror to comedy and love stories, often with hybrid elements that twisted genre and reader expectations.

The feature was the lead item of a 16-page, tabloid-sized, newsprint comic book sold as part of eventually 20 Sunday newspapers with a combined circulation of as many as five million copies. "The Spirit Section", as it was colloquially called, premiered June 2, 1940, and continued until October 5, 1952. It generally included two other, four-page strips (initially Mr. Mystic and Lady Luck), plus filler material. Eisner worked as editor, but also wrote and drew most entries—generally, after the first few months, with such uncredited collaborators as writer Jules Feiffer and artists Jack Cole and Wally Wood, though with Eisner's singular vision for the character as a unifying factor.

Animated Adaptation:
Nopes   And certainly no Godawful movie by someone who decided to suck all the fun out of the character because it wasn’t enough like his own, no sir.  What?  No, I’m not bitter.

Trivia:
The Spirit wasn’t originally meant to be a super-hero character, but when editorial demand insisted on it, he just put a mask on his non-super detective character.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 07:32:31 PM »
I didn't think Moe would make it very high, but I'm glad it's represented. It's a great strip from the very beginning with LOLs (Lot's Of LOLs (Laughs Out Loud)).

The only other comic that's shown up that I wish I'd included is Axe Cop, although I haven't actually read very much of it...

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 07:47:08 PM »
bookmark!

Coragale

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 07:54:50 PM »
Screw you, the Spirit was an AWESOME movie.

Also, Dr. McNinja definitely deserves to be on the list. Which is why it's on this list. BOOM.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, 10:39:13 AM »
forgot sergio aragones bummer.

the spider man daily always annoyed me for being so short and then i would always forget to read it one day or some such.  that one belongs as a book.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 02:47:42 PM »
None of mine are on the list yet

Gonna have to check out that Dr McNinja though, never even heard of it
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline therul

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 43
  • just another day in paradise
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 03:19:15 PM »
mine either
We are the only intelligent beings- Arrogance 3:15

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 06:15:43 PM »
Most these I've either never read or never even heard of. I probably just doubled my lifetime intake of Ziggy just by reading this topic.

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 06:56:26 PM »

#48 The Adventures of Tintin
36 Points, 2 lists, #6 ColeStratton

The Adventures of Tintin (French: Les Aventures de Tintin) is a series of comic albums created by Belgian artist Remi Georges(1907–1983), who wrote under the pen name of Hergé. The series is one of the most popular European comics of the 20th century, with translations published in more than 50 languages and more than 200 million copies of the books sold to date.

The series first appeared in French in Le Petit Vingtième, a children's supplement to the Belgian newspaper Le XXe Siècle on 10 January 1929.

The success of the series saw the serialised strips published in Belgium's leading newspaper Le Soir and spun into a successful Tintin magazine. Then in 1950, Hergé created Studios Hergé, which produced the canon series of twenty-four albums. The Adventures of Tintin have been adapted for radio, television, theatre, and film.

Set during a largely realistic 20th century, the hero of the series is Tintin, a young Belgian reporter. He is aided in his adventures by his faithful fox terrier dog Snowy (Milou in the original French edition). Later, popular additions to the cast included the brash and cynical Captain Haddock, the highly intelligent but hearing-impaired Professor Calculus (Professeur Tournesol) and other supporting characters such as the incompetent detectives Thomson and Thompson (Dupont et Dupond). Hergé himself features in several of the comics as a background character, as do his assistants in some instances.

The comic strip series has long been admired for its clean, expressive drawings in Hergé's signature ligne claire style. Its engaging, well-researched plots straddle a variety of genres: swashbuckling adventures with elements of fantasy, mysteries, political thrillers, and science fiction. The stories within the Tintin series always feature slapstick humour, offset in later albums by dashes of sophisticated satire and political/cultural commentary.

Animated Adaptation?:
Many!  Computer animation, hand drawn animation, and…
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wg3SfnXf-0A" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wg3SfnXf-0A</a>

Trivia:
Charles de Gaulle once said "My only international rival is Tintin".  Having read the comics, I believe that de Gaulle has actually done more reporting than Tintin.

D'oh!  I didn't know TinTin had been a strip,I thought it was just books.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 07:17:42 PM »

#40 Close to Home
44 Points, 2 lists, #4 Therul   

Close to Home is a daily, one-panel comic strip by John McPherson that debuted in 1992. The comic strip features no ongoing plot, but is instead a collection of one-shot jokes covering a number of subjects that are "close to home," such as marriage, children, school, work, sports, health and home life. It runs in nearly 700 newspapers worldwide.

Animated Adaptation:
Nope

Trivia:
Close to Home has been criticized for recycling past strips. On a few occasions, McPherson has used exactly the same joke and strip, only drawn differently. These occurrences often occur less than two years from when the original strip was ran.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 09:20:38 PM »

#39 Get Your War On
45 Points, 2 lists, #2 A Pretty Girl is Like

Get Your War On is a series of satirical comic strips by David Rees about political topics — originally the effects of theSeptember 11 attacks on New York City but quickly switching focus to more recent ones, in particular the "War on Terrorism". The series achieved a cult following on the Internet, and in particular on discussion forums and blogs, very soon after debuting on October 9, 2001.

From a technical standpoint the strips are very crude, being assembled from about a dozen simple clip art pictures of office workers (with a few exceptions, most notably Voltron) that are repeated, often in the same strip. Almost all are in red on a white background. There is a heavy emphasis on dialogue and almost no action. Highly disillusioned and cynical, it is heavily laden with expletives.

The majority of the clip art used in Get Your War On is taken from Office and Business Illustrations, designed by Tom Tierney and first published by Dover Publications in 1988. In 2009, American restaurant chain Jamba Juice was criticized for running an ad campaign which looked similar to the Get Your War On series as it used the same clip art.

Get Your War On has been published in book form. It has also been published regularly in Rolling Stone and some alternative newspapers. In 2004, Rees was interviewed in the book Attitude 2: The New Subversive Alternative Cartoonists, edited by syndicated editorial cartoonist Ted Rall. Attitude 2 included other cartoonists such as Alison Bechdel and Aaron McGruder.
In 2005 it was adapted into a stage performance by Rude Mechanicals of Austin, Texas. The performance was revived in the winter of 2006 and began a tour of the country in the fall of 2006. The tour included stops in Houston, Philadelphia, New York, and Washington, D.C.

In 2007, Get Your War On comics were included with the works of Jenny Holzer and Goya in the Dissent! exhibition of protest art at Harvard University's Fogg Art Museum.

As the author had promised, the strip ended the day that George W. Bush left office, January 20, 2009. Rees continues to maintain a blog, which covers topical political issues.

Animated Adaptation:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/haGoIVO-EE0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/haGoIVO-EE0</a>

Trivia:
Royalties from Get Your War On and Get Your War On II were donated to the charity Adopt-A-Minefield for removal of landmines in Afghanistan.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 09:33:03 PM »
Never heard of that one, but it reminds me that I shoud have voted for The Cliparts. :^)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 09:40:08 PM »
Close to Home seems like an awkward, impotent Far Side, but I like the looks of Get Your War On. And I can't help but read it with the cast of Archer in my head, which isn't a bad thing.