login

Poll

Which of these topics do you want to see for the next list of crap?

Top 50 Comedic Actors/Actresses
14 (42.4%)
Top 50 Fictional Dads
3 (9.1%)
Top 100 Rifftrax
0 (0%)
Top 50 Songs from Movies
4 (12.1%)
Top 50 Sports
0 (0%)
Top 50 Video Games of the 90's
12 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: May 22, 2012, 11:17:46 PM

Author Topic: Vote for the Future List of Crap  (Read 4677 times)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7302
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
Re: Vote for the Future List of Crap
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 03:25:38 PM »
Unfortunately, none of them can compare to... The Most Dangerous Game.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
oh, so you'll post smbc, but you won't vote for it. i see how it is. :angry: :'(
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1076
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2012, 03:55:44 PM »
Chess should be a sport.

But why?  I mean, it's not like it deserves respect more or less than a sport (more than Chess Boxing), but it's really more of a board game.  I'm all for mental abilities, but I think a sport should be tied largely with physical abilities that one has cultivated over time.  Also, if a computer can replace a human as an opponent, then I think it's safe to say that it's more mental.

I guess it's mainly a question of how you define a "sport". You mentioned abilities one has cultivated over time. But when it comes to things like strength, or speed, that's more a matter of genetics than it is anything they actually did. It's the knowledge and understanding of how to play the game that should warrant the merit, not anything they were lucky enough to be born with.

...That being said, I was tempted to vote for sports, until it was obvious it was going to lose. However, I could easily list 25 tabletop games. Even though they tend to involve more luck (which I don't like), I'm much more familiar with them. I've still got all my old board games, including stuff I inherited from my grandparents (Two Monopolies, two Sorrys, at least three Chess sets. I've even got an ancient Uncle Wiggily around here somewhere) 

Coragale

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 04:11:12 PM »
Unfortunately, none of them can compare to... The Most Dangerous Game.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
oh, so you'll post smbc, but you won't vote for it. i see how it is. :angry: :'(

That's the only thing I've EVER seen from it, as far as I'm aware. If they're all comparable, I'd have voted. :P

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 78
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
Video games. I don't play games anymore. Super Nintendo was the king, baby.
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2012, 05:10:42 PM »
Chess should be a sport.

But why?  I mean, it's not like it deserves respect more or less than a sport (more than Chess Boxing), but it's really more of a board game.  I'm all for mental abilities, but I think a sport should be tied largely with physical abilities that one has cultivated over time.  Also, if a computer can replace a human as an opponent, then I think it's safe to say that it's more mental.

I guess it's mainly a question of how you define a "sport". You mentioned abilities one has cultivated over time. But when it comes to things like strength, or speed, that's more a matter of genetics than it is anything they actually did. 

Did GATTACA teach you nothing?

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2012, 05:38:07 PM »
Chess should be a sport.

I guess it's mainly a question of how you define a "sport". You mentioned abilities one has cultivated over time. But when it comes to things like strength, or speed, that's more a matter of genetics than it is anything they actually did. 

(warning, I overdo it with the sarcasm here)
Yep, an athlete work don't hard to get where he or she is.  They in no way cultivate their bodies for a specific sport which requires specific muscles and training, they were just blessed by the magical genetics fairy from the moment of birth.  And no sport requires strategy.

OK, sorry about that.  I'm not mad, I just think it's a really flawed argument. 

Chess should be a sport.

It's the knowledge and understanding of how to play the game that should warrant the merit, not anything they were lucky enough to be born with.

"It's a game played by the dexterous, but only understood by the pointdexterous."

And that alone?  My sister is very athletic and she worked damned hard to get to her level (she went to the Canada games for rowing and her rowing partner eventually went to Beijing for the summer Olympics) and she also cultivated her body strategically to do it.  Maybe genetics give someone an edge, but there's a LOT going on in sports beyond that.  Some great athletes with great genes burn out psychologically or physically.  Oh, and there is definitely an understanding of athletes about their sports.  They can understand it more an insane degree of intimacy.

Again I'm not ragging on Chess or saying one thing is superior to another, but the physical element of chess (moving pieces) is small enough that I really can't see it as a sport.  Yes, it's deserving of respect as a sport and more awesome super-villains play chess rather than squash, but it's not a sport.

BTW, definition a la dictionary: Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Which is not really the thrust of chess.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6492
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2012, 06:08:34 PM »
I would be okay with Chess being recognized as a sport, solely to piss off jocks.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2012, 09:16:43 PM »
Changed again to actors after letting my vote sit in sports for a while.  Mostly because the host hasn't hosted in a while, and I know he's wanted to do this for a long time.