login

Author Topic: Pokemon  (Read 7422 times)

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
Re: Pokemon
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2007, 08:15:43 AM »
Ahh yes. I remember I first caught pokemon on its UPN 3PM run. I was simply entranced. From the moment I saw the song, I was fascinated in this new thing. I also understood on a deep level that the essential purpose of this show coincided with my cinematic desires: lots of quasimagical monster things

I woke up every morning at 7AM to catch it on the WB.

I can't remember when I stopped watching pokemon, but I think it was somewhere around the arc that came after the Jhoto episodes. I think I lost heart somewhere with the whole "lets ditch the original three 'starter' pokemon so that we can introduce the latest trio".

I cooled off on pokemon cards earlier, but frankly I think that a little randomness adds spice to a game. Random elements ensure that there's always a little tension and uncertainty, and even somebody who loads their deck with carefully selected, mass-approved highly expensive power cards has a chance to wind up with egg on their face. Call me a slacker, but I find appeal in that.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2007, 01:59:44 PM »
did anyone have the thought that its basically a magical version of cock fighting.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3114
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2007, 02:00:56 PM »
At its most basic level, yeah. :^) But the Pokemon are OK afterward. Can't take your Chickens to the local Chickecenter to have them healed up. :^)

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2007, 04:35:37 PM »
The show once had an episode that invoked seizures in the children who watched it, and briefly had a character that was an obvious blackface stereotype. When I have kids, there's no way that I'll rot their brains with this crap.

I agree.  It is crap.  I knew it was crap even during my elementary school years (when it was popular for some stupid-ass reason).  Still, they ought to give out automatic Emmys to voice actors who are actually able to make it through lines like "Chikorita!  Use your vine whip!"

Just reading it makes me titter. :D
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2007, 04:37:55 PM »
they probably do lines of coke until the script looks like it makes sense, then they record :)

Offline Brak

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • The Master Would Not Approve!
    • Horrid Coloring Books
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2007, 06:47:42 PM »
Ahh yes. I remember I first caught pokemon on its UPN 3PM run. I was simply entranced. From the moment I saw the song, I was fascinated in this new thing. I also understood on a deep level that the essential purpose of this show coincided with my cinematic desires: lots of quasimagical monster things

I woke up every morning at 7AM to catch it on the WB.

I would get up at 7 myself to watch it.  I think i stopped watching it when i felt that my friends werent really into it.  I check www.tvshowsondvd.com to see if they have any news on stuff like that, but it does look like George Lucas is going to release the young indiana jones series on DVD. I dont know the date but hey ive always wanted to see how good or bad those were. 

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2007, 06:58:10 PM »
I dont know if there was a discussion on this before or not but i just wanted to know what you have felt about this show. When i was in elementary school and jr. high it was the big thing. I still have all of my cards hanging around somewhere that im sure are worthless now. I used to get up early early in the morning to watch it before it was released in the afternoons. I havent watched the more recent episiodes. I really had fun playing the different versions of the gameboy game. I probably couldnt count how many hours and days i spent on that game. 

Was there anyone out there that was like this? or anyone know of or have children that still watch this show?

You almost just explained me at around that age too....  I still remember when I saw a pokemon card for the first time when I was in 4th grade.

I remember there was always those huge scandals with fake ones where if you could see through it it was fake.  There was a video rental place not far from my house that a friend told me about that was selling the originals after they had started that new jungle series or whatever that was selling them for $8 a pack I think, and I realized not long later that they were all fake...  I'm not sure where mine are anymore either though...  Probably with my pogs.

Offline The Tick

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2007, 03:18:22 PM »
did anyone have the thought that its basically a magical version of cock fighting.

yeah i was into the whole thing when i was a wee one but later i watched an episode and it was the first thing that popped into my head, except it was all in a "happy super cool japanese fun time!" way. 
Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2007, 03:21:50 PM »
yeah they dont die or get maimed, they merely go back into the magical balls, that are basically a japanese version of those traps the ghost busters use