Author Topic: Maskless superheroes  (Read 9719 times)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1263
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: Maskless superheroes
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2012, 01:12:39 AM »
Really? 
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 972
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »

Thor didn't have his head wingy things as per usual.

Well, the last time Thor had the winged cap in the movies was in Adventures in Babysitting. Not really surprising that he lacked them here too.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2012, 01:09:16 PM »
I noticed they did not have those goofy outfits or giant hats when fighting as no people in real life wear those kind of hats as they would fall off and get in the way.   I am guessing comics only did that to make them fancy for selling to kids.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2012, 09:21:13 PM »
Comic fans always, at some point along the way, seem to forget that these costumes and masks are all very very silly. Why would Hawkeye have his silly mask? Does he seem like the type to care about something like that?

I say good riddance, masks.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2552
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2012, 09:28:53 PM »
The only point of having a mask is to protect a secret identity, and none of them have that concern.
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2987
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2012, 09:35:18 PM »
Yeah, there's a big difference between what plays in a panel of a comic book and what plays on screen. There's a reason we're never going to see Wolverine don the yellow suit and eye-wings in a live-action movie.

And while there was definite homage in Thor, we'll never see Loki dressed like this:

Dynamic just doesn't play well in real-life, as anyone who's been to a comic book convention can tell you. :^)

Invader_quirk

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2012, 09:38:16 PM »

I love how I guess the thighs seemed bare, so he just taped some lunch trays to them.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2012, 12:51:33 AM »
OK so I was RIGHT.

Cap kept taking off his mask, and even found a way to get it conveniently ripped off by the alien at the end.  Puh-leeze.

Hawkeye never even had a mask.  Weak.  Jeremy Renner's face totally sucks.

Iron Man existed for all of 1 minute on screen, the rest of the time it was Robert Downey Jr, Robert Downey Jr,  Robert Downey Jr,  Robert Downey Jr.

Even Loki gets to take off his horns for like 90% of the movie WTF.

The Hulk's face look like Mark Ruffalo.  They even gave the Hulk Mark Ruffalo's messed up hair, which is wilder than the Hulk's normal hair LOL.

Black Widow no complaints.  Maybe she was a tad to voluptuous for the role but still, no complaints.  LOVE that chunky ass and legs she has. 

Even Hollywood would never be so brazen as to figure out a way to crowbar in a scene where Nick Fury takes off the eyepatch.

Hey Renner and Downey...shitcan the ego already.

This why I say always go the Superman route and cast stars as the supporting cast.  Things like Family members of the superheros,the love interests,the villains,and people who run the places like Shield but cast unknowns as the heroes.  If we are not going to see the heroes on screen what is the point of making the movie.  From the sound of it that may as well have called the movie The Super Model Justice Squad since we never see any of the heroes on screen.

Thanks for the warning.  I have to really think about if I am going to see this molvie.  I mean do I really want to pay $12 to see a superhero movie that doesn't have an Superheros in it :-\

Just see it.  There are superheroes in it, whether they're in the masks or not.  In the end its about characters, and those characters are represented well.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5546
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2012, 04:50:33 AM »
OK so I was RIGHT.

Cap kept taking off his mask, and even found a way to get it conveniently ripped off by the alien at the end.  Puh-leeze.

Hawkeye never even had a mask.  Weak.  Jeremy Renner's face totally sucks.

Iron Man existed for all of 1 minute on screen, the rest of the time it was Robert Downey Jr, Robert Downey Jr,  Robert Downey Jr,  Robert Downey Jr.

Even Loki gets to take off his horns for like 90% of the movie WTF.

The Hulk's face look like Mark Ruffalo.  They even gave the Hulk Mark Ruffalo's messed up hair, which is wilder than the Hulk's normal hair LOL.

Black Widow no complaints.  Maybe she was a tad to voluptuous for the role but still, no complaints.  LOVE that chunky ass and legs she has. 

Even Hollywood would never be so brazen as to figure out a way to crowbar in a scene where Nick Fury takes off the eyepatch.

Hey Renner and Downey...shitcan the ego already.

This why I say always go the Superman route and cast stars as the supporting cast.  Things like Family members of the superheros,the love interests,the villains,and people who run the places like Shield but cast unknowns as the heroes.  If we are not going to see the heroes on screen what is the point of making the movie.  From the sound of it that may as well have called the movie The Super Model Justice Squad since we never see any of the heroes on screen.

Thanks for the warning.  I have to really think about if I am going to see this molvie.  I mean do I really want to pay $12 to see a superhero movie that doesn't have an Superheros in it :-\

Just see it.  There are superheroes in it, whether they're in the masks or not.  In the end its about characters, and those characters are represented well.
Agreed.

100dollars

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2012, 09:24:12 AM »
lots of sad equivocation going on here.  you guys are giving hollywood egotists an out they dont deserve.

just think of a japanese version of the Avengers.  They would completely commit to the full color costumes WITH the masks.  You'd see a Hawkeye in full bright purple and blue with the pointy mask.  Loki with full 10 foot horns on his head.  Etc.

They would go balls-out bigger-than-life in-your-face proud-as-peacocks prime-color heroes just like in the comics.

And yet it would somehow be dignified, more respectful to the comics universe, and you know it would be loved a thousand times more by the fans.

I want proud peacocks not petulant poseurs.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2012, 09:28:50 AM »
lots of sad equivocation going on here.  you guys are giving hollywood egotists an out they dont deserve.

just think of a japanese version of the Avengers.  They would completely commit to the full color costumes WITH the masks.  You'd see a Hawkeye in full bright purple and blue with the pointy mask.  Loki with full 10 foot horns on his head.  Etc.

And it would be retarded. This has nothing to do with ego. These are the actors playing the characters. These characters have no reason to wear stupid-looking masks. Therefore, you can see the faces of the actors... just like in any other movie. It's not an ego trip.

What I'm getting from you is that you like the comic book characters' masks more than you like the characters.

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2012, 09:33:05 AM »
They would go balls-out bigger-than-life in-your-face proud-as-peacocks prime-color heroes just like in the comics.

When America does a film adaptation with the larger-than-life primary color scheme of the original comic, we get Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy. Take that how you will.

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2012, 09:38:37 AM »

And yet it would somehow be dignified, more respectful to the comics universe, and you know it would be loved a thousand times more by the fans.

I want proud peacocks not petulant poseurs.

Well said.  The characters in these movies are not superheros because they never get into superhero outfits,they are just a bunch of pretty boys using the names of superheros to sell tickets.  If you think Superheros are too silly to show on screen then why are you making a superhero movie in the first place?  Seems to me the film makers should be honest and admit they think these characters are too silly to make a movie about and if they truly do have a good idea for a movie make it with out using the names of superheros who are not even in the movies.  If you think superheros are so silly why are you even going to the movies.  If superheros have to stop being superheros in order to work in movies maybe they just shouldn't be made into movies in the first place.  That is why Tim Burton's Batman and Batman Returns are the best Superhero movies ever made,they were not ashamed of being superhero movies and going the whole nine yards.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1263
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2012, 09:44:14 AM »
a) you haven't seen the movie yet, they are CLEARLY in the outfits as seen in the movie, posters and by everyone living in reality.
b) didn't you LOVE Thor and Captain America?

Wolverine would be a Canadian dwarf, most male roles would be played by body builders instead of actors, all fights would be won with a sock to the jaw (as they were in the Stan Lee era),  hugely offensive racial stereotypes would be involved, all the women would have to be CGI to fit the measurements in the comics, etc, etc.  Get a grip

Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2012, 09:52:20 AM »
a) you haven't seen the movie yet, they are CLEARLY in the outfits as seen in the movie, posters and by everyone living in reality.
b) didn't you LOVE Thor and Captain America?

Wolverine would be a Canadian dwarf, most male roles would be played by body builders instead of actors, all fights would be won with a sock to the jaw (as they were in the Stan Lee era),  hugely offensive racial stereotypes would be involved, all the women would have to be CGI to fit the measurements in the comics, etc, etc.  Get a grip

And those things are bad because?
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.