login

Author Topic: How do you read?  (Read 4218 times)

Offline Gandalf Lundgren

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 159
  • "You shall not pass, I must break you!"
Re: How do you read?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 02:17:36 PM »
Lesson for the newbie.  Questions that can be vaguely interpreted will invariably get smartass answers on this forum.

Welcome to the board!

Oh and I generally read items however they are presented to me.

ROLF, I know, I should have known better!  :-[ ;D

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 02:26:38 PM »
I read only paper books, and I prefer hardcover, even if it means lugging them around the city. I don't see myself ever using an e-reader.

My mom said the same thing.  She has a Kindle Fire now.

I like the things you get with books that you don't get with an e-reader. I like the feel of the paper and turning the page. I like looking at the cover designs. I like the way books smell and the weight of a good book in your hands. And I like the way they look on shelves. I have four bookcases in my living room and dining room alone.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 07:45:40 PM »
I was the only one in my family who read. My mother never did, nor did any of my sisters. I read everything I could get my hands on, from kid's books to encyclopedias. More than any other form of entertainment, I think, books are a part of my past. I still fondly remember books from when I was kid the way some kids remember toys. Those books were old friends of mine who helped me escape into a world that I could understand. They were always something magical.

Maybe that's why I still cling to the paper books. They're a comforting memory from my childhood. When everything around me was going to hell, I just had to find a quiet corner with a book and everything would be fine, for at least a little while.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 08:22:52 PM »
That is sad. I don't understand it, but then not everyone is a reader.

Another thing I like about paper books is that you can mark them. I have loads of books with highlighted passages that were especially meaningful to me, page numbers cross-referenced with other page numbers where a similar passage or a call back shows up, and, negatively, the number of times an author will use a word or a phrase to the point that it irritates me and I want to keep track of it, just for my own personal outrage.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 05:34:55 AM »
I guess. I just like leaving my mark on them, just like they've left their mark on me.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 01:42:23 PM »
By candlelight.

(oh, are we not doing that answering facetiously thing anymore?)
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline Gandalf Lundgren

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 159
  • "You shall not pass, I must break you!"
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 04:53:53 PM »
By candlelight.

(oh, are we not doing that answering facetiously thing anymore?)

Charles Dickens is that you?

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 571
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 10:03:23 AM »
I still read old-fashioned books. I don't have to awkwardly hold them (seriously, tablet makers, I know sleek form is nice and pretty, but how `bout a goddamn HANDLE?), and I don't have to pay a giant sum of money to replace them if I accidentaly drop one in a puddle.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
I still read old-fashioned books. I don't have to awkwardly hold them (seriously, tablet makers, I know sleek form is nice and pretty, but how `bout a goddamn HANDLE?), and I don't have to pay a giant sum of money to replace them if I accidentaly drop one in a puddle.

so what you're saying is that you lack the ability to grip things.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 08:00:51 PM »
Perhaps a ridge along the back that  mimics the spine of a hardback when it's open?

Danecho1967

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 08:26:33 PM »
I read, for the most part now, with my iPad, and occasionally with my iPhone.  Sitting in waiting rooms, it's nice to have a library of books available on a device that fits easily in my pocket and that I have with me all the time anyway.

I've sold most of my paper books.  I rarely read a book more than once anyway, except for Lord of the Rings and a few other personal favorites.  It's good to know I don't have to have a bunch of books collecting dust and taking up space.  I don't have a very big place.

Coragale

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 12:26:43 PM »
I have a nook color that I rooted and install CM7 on. I got the nook app from the market and use it periodically. If I had the funds, I'd probably buy more paperbacks, though. I have a relative with a nook, but she still buys hard copies of all her books. Woman can read a novel in her lunch break. While I was living with her, she gave me boxes of books to take to used bookstores to sell.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND? BITCH BE TRIPPIN' BOOKS.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 02:03:33 PM »
I have a nook color that I rooted and install CM7 on. I got the nook app from the market and use it periodically. If I had the funds, I'd probably buy more paperbacks, though. I have a relative with a nook, but she still buys hard copies of all her books. Woman can read a novel in her lunch break. While I was living with her, she gave me boxes of books to take to used bookstores to sell.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND? BITCH BE TRIPPIN' BOOKS.

I'm not that bad, but I've got a similar issue - I read very quickly. It's why I started going digital on more novels; I simply have no space to do anything more than store the books I really, really want to keep.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 03:59:08 PM »
I've found that my speed completely depends on what I'm reading. Not the genre per se, but more the level it's written on. I also listen to music sometimes.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 11:11:34 PM »
I read only paper books, and I prefer hardcover, even if it means lugging them around the city. I don't see myself ever using an e-reader.

My mom said the same thing.  She has a Kindle Fire now.

I like the things you get with books that you don't get with an e-reader. I like the feel of the paper and turning the page. I like looking at the cover designs. I like the way books smell and the weight of a good book in your hands. And I like the way they look on shelves. I have four bookcases in my living room and dining room alone.

I work for a certain company named after a very large river in South America. Specifically in the division that deals with their popular e-reader. I can tell you that they were specifically designed to approximate the same weight as a paperback book (though the generation 6 is the same weight as a small hardcover book or trade paperback...but it also does alot more). Cover designs do come with the e-books. Can't help you with musty book smells.......wait a sec....

*mental note: suggest "musty book smell spray" to R&D*

Anyway, I felt the same way you do once. I would spend all day in the bookstore. Literally, sometimes. You know, when they started putting in comfy chairs and selling espresso.
It was GETTING me to the book store that was rare. I have acute agoraphobia. I can't deal with large crowds and the only book store near me is in a mall.  :speechless:
Mom gave me a Kindle one Christmas. I was skeptical. 15 minutes after starting my first e-book, I forgot I wasn't holding an actual book.
The e-reader gives me the freedom to have any book I want instantly. I can't beat that. I still spend hours browsing, reading samples and I can also study user reviews. I haven't bought a book yet I felt bad about buying. And even if I did, they will refund you with no complaints (unless you abuse the system.). Bookstores don't do that with physical books.

I know my opinion is biased. Believe me, though, I'm just talking as an e-reader convert.
Oh, and I still have shelves of books. But now my precious shelf space is used for collectable books and gaming stuff (D&D rulebooks, etc.).