Author Topic: looks like sony will have rumble controllers afterall  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
looks like sony will have rumble controllers afterall
« on: March 05, 2007, 10:45:02 PM »

Sony's Playstation rumble pack set to return?

Wolfgang Gruener

March 1, 2007 22:47

San Jose (CA) - Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) and Immersion today ended a five-year old litigation, in which Immersion claimed that certain Sony Playstation controllers infringed on the firm's touch feedback patents. Sony indicated that it will be using Immersion's technology in future products.

According to a statement released late Thursday, the two companies have agreed to conclude their patent litigation and have "entered into a new business agreement to explore the inclusion of Immersion technology in Playstation format products."

Details of the potential use of Immersion's "patent portfolio" in Playstation products were not disclosed. However, Kaz Hirai, SCE's president hinted in a brief statement commenting on the agreement with Immersion that the vibration feature could be integrated in future Playstation-related products: "We look forward to exploring with Immersion exciting new ways to bring the largest and best range of gameplay experiences to our customers. We are very excited about our new partnership with Immersion and the potential for new and innovative products incorporating their technologies."

Sony discontinued the vibration feature, which was part of PS1- and PS2-compatible controllers, with the "Sixaxis" controller for the PS3: Ahead of the PS3 launch, Sony said that a vibration feature would interfere with the motion sensing capability of the new controller. According to the agreement between the two firms, SCE will pay Immersion a previously awarded amount of $90.7 million in damages, pre-judgment interest, costs and interest.
   source: http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/02/sony_ps3/

good news they must've finally listened to the fans, now if they would only lower the damn price already

Offline Swish

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 1
  • Like, whoa, n'stuff.
    • My Nerdy Pretentious Myspace Blog
Re: looks like sony will have rumble controllers afterall
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 01:40:02 AM »
I think it's more that they've "finally noticed how much money they're wasting through legal fees when Microsoft settled out of court ages ago".

I doubt we'll see an official wobbly SixAxis for some time yet, but it'll happen.

Sony? Listening to fans? Not in this dimension.

No, the fans must listen to Sony!
Writer and Composer of "Biohazard! ~ The Resident Evil Musical"

Offline La De Da

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • Spy sappn' my smile.
    • The Wooden Nut
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 10:40:33 AM »
No, the fans must listen to Sony!
*LOL* I'm sure if I truly listen to them, I might finally understand their ads.

The US CEO of Sony... Neck Bubble, said that the only way there will be a rumble in the controller is if a third party puts one in.  This might have change, but I doubt will see one till next year or longer.

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 08:11:55 AM »
I loved all the excuses we heard about why there wasn't one in. My favorite was that Rumble in a controller would hinder the ability to have motion controllers in future versions.

*looks at Wii*

*looks at Sony exec*

*slap*

-Chris