Author Topic: The Bad DVD Artwork thread...  (Read 9640 times)

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
Re: The Bad DVD Artwork thread...
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 10:20:58 PM »
Hey let's try to make a crummy early 80s TV movie look like the next Lord of the Rings.

The hell??!!?!

I got that one in a  bin and it was made in 82 and it is one of those TV movie of the week's that tries to make people think that a common product is going kill your kids.  In this case they were trying to tell them that D&D would get their kids lost in a fantasy world and if a kid's D&D character died the kid would kill them self.  They did a two part Adventures in Odyssey that had the same gist when I was a kid.

You should read the terrible book it's based on sometime.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 10:22:39 PM »
It's like they made mannequins of the characters, then posed them.

Better yet, they completely omitted the one name star of the film (Milla Jovovich) from that cover.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 10:28:26 PM »

I dunno. I mean, it is what it is. It's certainly not the worst cover out there for one these multipacks. To wit:

(full disclosure: I own this set)

- Conan O'Brien

Invader_quirk

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 10:35:13 PM »
Here's one that really gets me.

This was the poster, I think, and the cover for some versions of the movie (again, I think). It's scary and mysterious. I love it.

Here's the cover of the DVD I have...

If you've seen the movie, you can see immediately how stupid this is. The children we see here appear to be under a bridge, but that hole where they are taken in the movie is in a sewer-like area underground-ish. They've taken a shot from the movie and crappily photoshopped it onto a bridge support for no reason. We also get a glimpse of the monster which is both too big a reveal for a cover and also very confusing to look at. I also don't even find the concept of this cover effective. Why would they do this?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:20:51 PM by Invader_quirk »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2563
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 11:05:04 PM »
This (awesome):

Turning into this (meh):

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5618
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 06:19:54 AM »
Hey let's try to make a crummy early 80s TV movie look like the next Lord of the Rings.

The hell??!!?!

I got that one in a  bin and it was made in 82 and it is one of those TV movie of the week's that tries to make people think that a common product is going kill your kids.  In this case they were trying to tell them that D&D would get their kids lost in a fantasy world and if a kid's D&D character died the kid would kill them self.  They did a two part Adventures in Odyssey that had the same gist when I was a kid.

I think the cover makes it look like the next Dungeons & Dragons movie, not LotR. Kind of appropo, actually, both in relation to the movie's subject, and the quality of the Dungeons & Dragons movie.

Check out Spoony's review of this stinker, it's awesome!

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 02:43:48 PM »

Yeah.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5618
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 02:46:36 PM »

Yeah.
What the &$#% is Ultraviolet? Did they package it with that shitty Milla Jovovich movie?

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6792
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 02:52:04 PM »
some sort of digital version of the movie, apparently.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Starman!

• Liked: 359
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 02:56:08 PM »
It's a stupid streaming service. It's not a digital copy, JUST STREAMING! >:(

That's the cover of the new Spider Man Blu Ray coming out in July I think. Here's the new crappy covers for the other ones.

Those are some of the worst cover I've ever seen.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6792
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2012, 03:07:48 PM »

hey, buddy. hey! psst! don't be alarmed, but there's a black & white version of you right behind you.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2012, 03:30:03 PM »
It's a stupid streaming service. It's not a digital copy, JUST STREAMING! >:(

That's the cover of the new Spider Man Blu Ray coming out in July I think. Here's the new crappy covers for the other ones.

Those are some of the worst cover I've ever seen.

That looks like something I would put together in five minutes using the free photo editing program on my computer.  Two characters and a logo on a blue background?!  That has to be the worst cover for any movie I have ever seen.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2012, 03:44:59 PM »
i find all blu rays have a issue with the damn blue packaging.  why cant they just realize that it doesn't have to be blu like criterion has realized.  sure maybe a few more idiots would buy them and complain about it not being a dvd but cmon its such a unnecessary impediment to good design.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 02:44:36 PM »

The hell??!!?!

I think the cover makes it look like the next Dungeons & Dragons movie, not LotR. Kind of appropo, actually, both in relation to the movie's subject, and the quality of the Dungeons & Dragons movie.

Check out Spoony's review of this stinker, it's awesome!

I saw this at Walmart with three other movies for $5, maybe I'll get it.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline SJP

• Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 03:18:21 PM »
As an animation fan, I can tell you that sometimes looking at my DVD covers just makes me very, very sad. I mean, it's not like you're an animation company with access to hundreds of talented artists or anything. OH WAIT.

I know that feeling all too well.  Secret of NIMH is a horror story for cover art...
For example, here is the original poster/ DVD Cover art, which is awesome...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here's the craptacular 'new' art that has graced the cover ever since its more recent DVD release...you know, to tie it into the sequel which everyone loves, right?

But the real reason I went to this thread is because these two graced my desk at work...and hoo, boy, did they drop the ball on them big time.  I mean...just...wow.
Image 1 (Kinda big):
Image 2 (Even worse, because somebody REDREW much better and more on-model artwork visible on Amazon):
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.