Author Topic: Super-Powered Revenge Christmas  (Read 3391 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Super-Powered Revenge Christmas
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:16:13 AM »
Holy cow! Something in the book/other stuff section! So far down on the page that most folks will never see it!

Anyway...

Bill's just announced a Kickstarter project to make a graphic novel out of his play from last year-
SUPER-POWERED REVENGE CHRISTMAS!

To quote Bill:
SUPER-POWERED REVENGE CHRISTMAS is a graphic novel using classic Christmas characters as the basis for an assembled superteam who fight off a conspiracy of powerful villains.  It's a comedy retcon of Christmas itself!  The story brings the world of pop-culture Christmas characters -- think Rudolph, the Grinch, and even those beloved people from "It's a Wonderful Life" -- into the universe of comic book superheroes.

The play got rather good reviews in Minneapolis last year when it was shown, but I'm unaware of any previous Play/comic book synergy so who knows how that will translate? It's a Kickstarter thing, so throw in a few bucks if you so desire.

MontyServo

Re: Super-Powered Revenge Christmas
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 11:00:37 AM »
I was thinking that Kickstarter could be used by Rifftrax to fund the production of some long-time most wanted Rifftrax that they have been afraid to do because of a fear of low sales.  I am thinking of films like Dune, Super Mario Brothers, or Billy Jack.

Just set the goal to whatever the break even point is for a Rifftrax.  That way there is no risk for them and all the sales after that would be gravy.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:16:08 AM »
...and it's funded with 9 days to go. Woot. Grats, Bill!

Offline Dr. Opossum

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 09:58:11 PM »
Did anyone get this and have thoughts?  I was mad that I found out about this too late to order.  I hope it will be available to the public by next Christmas.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Utah Graphics World

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 01:38:24 AM »
It's 11 bucks? Then WTF was the kickstarter pledge for it $100? Geez.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 01:10:24 PM »
It's 11 bucks? Then WTF was the kickstarter pledge for it $100? Geez.

...so they could raise money? And that's an automatic discount on Amazon's part that Bill has no control over. I know this because they automatically discount my own books as an incentive to buy from Amazon.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 03:23:14 PM »
All I wanted from the kickstarter was a copy of the comic, pledge it at 30 bucks or something. It's like when Mary Jo made her CD $50.  It's about making desirable pledge levels at reasonable levels. If her CD had been something like $25 I would have pledged, but for $50 I'm not going to bother.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 04:01:10 PM »
All I wanted from the kickstarter was a copy of the comic, pledge it at 30 bucks or something. It's like when Mary Jo made her CD $50.  It's about making desirable pledge levels at reasonable levels. If her CD had been something like $25 I would have pledged, but for $50 I'm not going to bother.

I think you're missing the whole point of Kickstarter. It's to raise money, not sell things.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 04:18:18 PM »

I think you're missing the whole point of Kickstarter. It's to raise money, not sell things.

No you're missing my point. Don't make the pledge levels so ridiculous that people don't bother to pledge at all. How is a kickstarter served by people not pledging rather than pledging? And that's ignoring the whole preorder aspect of it. In this instance they got the money 27 months before they delivered. A $30 27 month preorder is worth more than a $5 sale afterwards. 

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 06:56:44 PM »

No you're missing my point. Don't make the pledge levels so ridiculous that people don't bother to pledge at all. How is a kickstarter served by people not pledging rather than pledging? And that's ignoring the whole preorder aspect of it. In this instance they got the money 27 months before they delivered. A $30 27 month preorder is worth more than a $5 sale afterwards.

No, you're missing MY point. If Kickstarter rewards were based solely on their fair market value and nothing more, they wouldn't even be able to make it because all the money would be tied up in reward fulfillment. And things don't always go according to plan. For example, we didn't get Twilight, we got Starship Troopers. Delays happen. Complications arise. At least they fulfilled your pledge, something not a lot of Kickstarter projects actually do.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 07:41:55 PM »
Except at no point have I suggested pricing things at fair market value. Not even close.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 08:00:30 PM »
Except at no point have I suggested pricing things at fair market value. Not even close.

No. You're just mad that your charitable donation only netted you $5 in value.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 08:22:40 PM »

Really? Come on, at least respond to the point I made rather than faking an emotional argument. Besides that doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

My first point before was rather than pay $50 for a CD, I'll just not pay anything. Now somehow it's value is simultaneously $50 and $5, which is it?. And now they are Charities rather than businesses? So I'm going to get a tax break for preordering?

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 09:04:03 PM »

Really? Come on, at least respond to the point I made rather than faking an emotional argument. Besides that doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

My first point before was rather than pay $50 for a CD, I'll just not pay anything. Now somehow it's value is simultaneously $50 and $5, which is it?. And now they are Charities rather than businesses? So I'm going to get a tax break for preordering?

First, your tax break crack is not what I meant by charitable donation and you know it. The definition of "Charity" here is meant to be that you are giving to a Kickstarter project out of the goodness of your heart, because you believe in the project, and the reward level is merely an incentive. It's not JUST to get a prize.

Secondly, it was YOU who said that you donated to the project and only got a $5 return. Look back up there. You said it, not me.

So please, get the hell over yourself.