Okay (take breath) I have been wondering whether making this post would be a Bad Idea but I am going to express myself anyway because I am just too hard to shut up, but with some disclaimerish caveats first:
- I not only do not support censorship, I loathe
- I realise on Rifftrax, nothing is sacred, and that's the way it oughta be.
- This is a comment about weighting, not existence. "Weighting" meaning the amount of a certain sort of joke per 'Trax, and how many 'Trax this topic appears on.
- I am a cat lady, but not a cat hoarder. I think cat hoarding is sick and sad, not at all beneficial to the cats. That said, even though my hard-and-fast rule is one cat per person, since I think folks underestimate feline intelligence and capacity for emotion and so cats become alienated from humans without individual attention...I guess since I'm on the wrong side of 45 years of age and live alone with a cat and am a sort of nutjob, I guess that means I'm a "Crazy Cat Lady", so this is all just a matter of personal emotional bullhooey if you want to look at it that way.
- Gags about Crazy Cat Ladies just make me laugh. It's usually supposed to indicate a failed life if a woman lives alone at this point in life with only feline companionship, but I know better...so that sort of joke just doesn't bother me.
All this said...
I have noticed that there are jokes about tortured, poisoned, or otherwise dead cats in many more Rifftrax than not. I kinda wish you loveably funny fellas would consider letting up on the dead cat gags just a wee bit
. Not eliminate them entirely: that'd break the Nothing is Sacred rule and then anyone who finds anything disturbing would ask it to be eliminated too, and that would leave virtually zero humour left.
I just wish there was a little less of what I just heard last night when I bought the new "Friends" short, about the seven year old girls and their silly outcastery. I was giggling like a maniac until the line about poisoning Nancy's cats, then I just couldn't enjoy it any more. It may seem stupid and oversensitive of me, and maybe it is, but it's how I feel.
At least I've noticed that in the last couple of years dogs are getting more equal billing in the jokes-about-dead-pets count. And while I'd never say it doesn't bother me that these things happen to canines, too, I've just never had the fondness for dogs as much as I have for cats, mostly because it's been the other way around all my life: cats like ME, and dogs just slobber all over me after eating their own...well, animals will be animals.
To reiterate: the dead cat jokes don't "offend" me, they just disturb me on a personal level with my full understanding that other things disturb other persons the same way that don't bother me a whit, so I would never lower myself to ask you to quit it completely. Just...maybe a wee bit less would make me a much happier fan.
And fan I would still remain, even if that didn't happen; I'm mature enough to see a joke as a joke and not go ballistic over it.
Thank you from me and Urrow, my stripedy constant companion...who has to put up with listening to me gawping at a lot of Rifftraxing! (And since cats' hearing is about ten times better than humans, that's pretty kind of her.)